587,080 active members*
3,051 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Any experiences with CNC 6040 ROUTER?

Hi Everyone,

I've read the entire thread and thanks to all for the great information, especially Ian.

On the Carver-CNC website I was initially looking at the 6040 and being prepared to make all the mods to get it working right. So I was happy as I read along that the blue box morphed into the black box and that seemed to solve most issues

However, Carver seems to have a newer version (I think) of the 6040 now called the X6-1500GT-USB. Yes, it uses a usb cord rather than a parallel port!

It's a bit more spendy than the 6040 at $1880 U.S. dollars

Here's the link: CNC X6-1500GT-USB (3-Axes-Version) router engraver drilling and milling machine - carving-cnc.com

Anyone have one of these yet? Is it a real upgrade from the 6040? Or is it just the addition of the usb interface?

Also, being new CNC,I have one additional question. If I use an appropriately sized 0.02 thick Aluminum sheet to engrave names in, can I also use this machine to cut out the names so I wind up with individual name plates? Would the edges need sanding or anything or will it do nice clean cuts?

Re: Any experiences with CNC 6040 ROUTER?

Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Anyone have one of these yet? Is it a real upgrade from the 6040? Or is it just the addition of the usb interface?
    It's the same machine hardware (although I think the spindle might have a larger ER16 collet) but the control box has a USB motion card with plenty of spare I/O for adding limit switches and other stuff, it also has spindle speed control, and it runs the steppers at 40V rather than 24V giving greater speed and torque.

I have the older 6040 S80 unit, and if the X6 had been available I'd have got it no question.

Also, being new CNC,I have one additional question. If I use an appropriately sized 0.02 thick Aluminum sheet to engrave names in, can I also use this machine to cut out the names so I wind up with individual name plates? Would the edges need sanding or anything or will it do nice clean cuts?
    You certainly could mill them out, and with the right endmill, feed and RPM, it's entirely possible you could do it in one pass. To get a clean cut, and not clog the cutter with molten metal (which will cause it to snap), you'd need lubrication - I've found methylated spirits (denatured alcohol) in a squirt bottle works very well, but there's lots of options. There'd be no need to clean up the cut afterwards.