586,108 active members*
3,100 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 26 of 40 16242526272836

Re: Any experiences with CNC 6040 ROUTER?

The VFD in the black box units is a Nowforever model, whereas most blue boxes came with the far more common Huanyang VFD. I have the black box setup with the Nowforever VFD and it works fine, appears to cause less interference than reported with the Huanyang, although I do plan to replace the motor cable with a shielded one at some point. The Nowforever VFD doesn't have as many options as the Huanyang, such as display scaling, so it can only display the spindle speed in Hz, not RPM, so it shows 400 for 24,000 RPM. Apart from that it was reasonably easy to get Mach3 to control it via Modbus, so I'm not using the unit's display to set the RPM, it's done within Mach3.

Quote Originally Posted by tgdavies View Post
    If you are definitely going to discard the electronics, why not buy it 'mainbody' only and buy the spindle/VFD separately? That's what I did.
    Yeah I definitely looked at that option but when I added the cost of stepper motors, PSU, VFD/spindle, metal enclosure, switches, connectors, etc. it came out costing more than the full kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Adverse Effects View Post
    the "new VFD" is the old VFD just moved from the outside to the inside from what i remember
    From the pictures posted on the seller's page the VFD controllers seem to be different colors and sizes. See attached pictures. The grey VFD controller looks like a bigger unit.

Another difference I noticed is that the blue box version has limit switches installed on each axis whereas the black box version does not since the stock controller doesn't support them. No problem adding them, just one less thing to worry about.
    -Leo

Quote Originally Posted by RussellK View Post
    The VFD in the black box units is a Nowforever model, whereas most blue boxes came with the far more common Huanyang VFD. I have the black box setup with the Nowforever VFD and it works fine, appears to cause less interference than reported with the Huanyang, although I do plan to replace the motor cable with a shielded one at some point. The Nowforever VFD doesn't have as many options as the Huanyang, such as display scaling, so it can only display the spindle speed in Hz, not RPM, so it shows 400 for 24,000 RPM. Apart from that it was reasonably easy to get Mach3 to control it via Modbus, so I'm not using the unit's display to set the RPM, it's done within Mach3.
    Thanks for this info. Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've read the interference problems stemmed from the grounding/shielding issues on the Huanyang. So once I properly ground everything all should be good with the Huanyang VFD?

Since there seems to be no user manuals for these, are the input codes the same for both models or are they proprietary to each manufacturer?
    -Leo

My older Blue Box 6040 did not have limit switches and the black box DC-spindle (not VFD) 3040 didn't either.
    Both from Carving-CNC.

Quote Originally Posted by LacL View Post
    Thanks for this info. Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've read the interference problems stemmed from the grounding/shielding issues on the Huanyang. So once I properly ground everything all should be good with the Huanyang VFD?
    My point was that the Nowforever VFD also doesn't have grounding nor shielding between the VFD and spindle, yet it doesn't have the interference problems, but as you say, once you wire up the Huanyang properly it sorts out those problems.

Since there seems to be no user manuals for these, are the input codes the same for both models or are they proprietary to each manufacturer?
    There is a manual - it's called Patriot or something - I've linked to it on this thread at some point. The Modbus commands and everything else is different to the Huanyang.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWolschon View Post
    My older Blue Box 6040 did not have limit switches and the black box DC-spindle (not VFD) 3040 didn't either.
    Both from Carving-CNC.
    The new blue boxes have an extra connector on the back labeled "limit" with 5 pins on it. They also show the limit switches on the axes so they have made some changes to this setup.

From the pic inside the box it looks to me like the are now using the earth ground and filter in this version, but no idea if the VFD cable is shielded or not. Maybe they fixed some of the issues with it and might not be as problematic as the older versions.

Quote Originally Posted by RussellK View Post
    There is a manual - it's called Patriot or something - I've linked to it on this thread at some point. The Modbus commands and everything else is different to the Huanyang.
    Ok thanks, I wasn't sure which VFD that was for.
    -Leo

Hi Everyone,

I've read the entire thread and thanks to all for the great information, especially Ian.

On the Carver-CNC website I was initially looking at the 6040 and being prepared to make all the mods to get it working right. So I was happy as I read along that the blue box morphed into the black box and that seemed to solve most issues

However, Carver seems to have a newer version (I think) of the 6040 now called the X6-1500GT-USB. Yes, it uses a usb cord rather than a parallel port!

It's a bit more spendy than the 6040 at $1880 U.S. dollars

Here's the link: CNC X6-1500GT-USB (3-Axes-Version) router engraver drilling and milling machine - carving-cnc.com

Anyone have one of these yet? Is it a real upgrade from the 6040? Or is it just the addition of the usb interface?

Also, being new CNC,I have one additional question. If I use an appropriately sized 0.02 thick Aluminum sheet to engrave names in, can I also use this machine to cut out the names so I wind up with individual name plates? Would the edges need sanding or anything or will it do nice clean cuts?

Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Anyone have one of these yet? Is it a real upgrade from the 6040? Or is it just the addition of the usb interface?
    It's the same machine hardware (although I think the spindle might have a larger ER16 collet) but the control box has a USB motion card with plenty of spare I/O for adding limit switches and other stuff, it also has spindle speed control, and it runs the steppers at 40V rather than 24V giving greater speed and torque.

I have the older 6040 S80 unit, and if the X6 had been available I'd have got it no question.

Also, being new CNC,I have one additional question. If I use an appropriately sized 0.02 thick Aluminum sheet to engrave names in, can I also use this machine to cut out the names so I wind up with individual name plates? Would the edges need sanding or anything or will it do nice clean cuts?
    You certainly could mill them out, and with the right endmill, feed and RPM, it's entirely possible you could do it in one pass. To get a clean cut, and not clog the cutter with molten metal (which will cause it to snap), you'd need lubrication - I've found methylated spirits (denatured alcohol) in a squirt bottle works very well, but there's lots of options. There'd be no need to clean up the cut afterwards.

When doing aluminium, try and avoid Ti coated, (the gold coating) milling bits as they will clog up with alu, I also find WD40 works really fantastic to keep the cutter clean, if you can stand the smell and possibly cancerous fumes, I haven't tried alcohol on the cnc as I prefer it in my glass, but that should work a treat as Russell mentioned, another one that works great and actually smells nice when machining is Fluid Film, or similar lanolin based lubricants. You can get bulk packs very cheap from some auto stores.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Thanks, that all sounds good and I'm ready to buy.

Well almost, as I found this one that I'm now considering.

It's says U.S. made, comes with a g540 running at 48 volts, and uses a parallel port. (I'd rather go USB, but it's not a deal breaker.)

Any opinions?

Ebay Ad - Taig Gecko CNC Mill Milling Machine ENGRAVER Router | eBay

Website - Taig Tools - Desktop Milling Machines and Lathes.

Its an ok mill for small aluminum and steel projects. It won't be anywhere near as fast as a ballscrew driven router, but it can cut quite accurately once you learn to dial it in and set it up right. I have one. Bought it from deepgroove1. The setup he is currently selling is better (and cheaper) than the setup Taig is using on their complete CNC mill.

Both still need a computer and software. Also, you can use a Smoothstepper or a UC100 between your computer and the parallel port input on the G540 if you want USB between the computer and the machine still. Smoothstepper also has an ethernet version.

I would note that the setup from Paul (deepgroove1) comes in two shipments. The CNC ready mill is shipped from Taig, and the motors and electronics ship from him.

It also has a much smaller working envelope than a 6040 at only 5.5" Y travel and 12" X travel, but it does have more Z clearance and travel at 6" than most routers.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Hi Everyone,

Great information on this thread.

The question I have is related to 6040 X6-1500GT-USB from Carver-CNC.
    I need advice which route to go:
    - 1. Buy the complete machine as is for $1880.
    - 2. Buy the machine without control box. +
    48V 7.3A switching power supply
    Gecko G540 4 axis stepper motor driver

I noticed the control box that comes with X6-1500GT-USB has a new chip (M556-GT) not the old chip (TB6560)
    So the difference would be in power supply (40V vs. 48V) and driver (M556-GT vs Gecko G540)

Thanks,
    Alex

You'd also need a motion control board, like a USB Smoothstepper or an Etherstepper, and you'd need a VFD to run the spindle.

I bought the previous machine 6040 S80 and to its credit, it performed well out of the box. The only enduring issue was control via the parallel port, which was a limitation of my PC, not the control box. I fixed that with an Etherstepper, but as the X6-1500GT comes with a USB motion control board (which looks to be pretty damn decent) that aspect is sorted.

If it was me getting my first CNC machine, I'd just got the complete unit as it'll work out of the box, and there's a so much other stuff to learn about which is ultimately more important, i.e. how to actually get on and make things with the machine.

I bought the 6040 barebone without any spindle or controller, but I actually think I would have gotten more for the buck if I got the complete kit.

The gecko 540 I ordered on the side has been flawless though

I would say get the new revised kit I had the old blue box unit and have change the water pump. Switched to a gecko. Also had to redo all the wiring to the steppers and spindle adding a grounding bar fixed the other issues I had as well. My gecko just blew a fuse this week unfortunately it's soldered in and had to be ordered from digikey

So if I buy the 6040 barebone + G540 + 48V/7.3A power supply and instead of spindle + VFD I use Bosch Colt router would this be a decent machine?
    I know Bosch Colt it's not the same as spindle but I already have this. Bosch Colt is heavier than Chinese spindle; would this be a problem for this machine?
    I want to keep the price as low as possible.
    I don't mind to rewire the motors with shielded cable.

Thanks all,
    Alex

For woodworking and plastic it will be great. I think the machine will be fine with the colt. I have a heavier 1.5kw spindle on mine, and its no problem.

I don't think the Bosch Colt is heavier than the Chinese 3 phase spindles at all. I have a Chinese 3ph spindles from from .8kw to 2.2kw and I am sure even the lightest one is heavier than a Bosch Colt. I happen to have a Bosch Colt variable speed mounted on my Chinese noodle router right now. The biggest problem with the Colt is it will get hot and kill its own bearings on long jobs. I've killed more than a couple of them.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

one thing you have to remember just because it says 6040 or 3020 that is not the size of it and defiantly not the work area

i have a 6040 and my work area is 550mm X 330mm and i am guessing the 3020 would be something like 220mm X 140mm not really that big

as for the black box i do not have one i have the old blue one (in the spare parts bin as it was total crap) some say the new black box is ok others say it still needs some work

@Adverse Effects; Thanks for the reply, I have done quite a bit of research here and elsewhere, and feel that the 6040 will be big enough table-wise for my purposes. I have also pretty much decided to go ahead and replace the controller with the excellent Gecko 540, as I noticed that LinuxCNC has a profile for the 540 already. I am a few years removed from my CAD/CAM experience (I used AutoCAD 13 then but can't afford it now!) So I am using Inkscape and gcodetools for now (Hardcore Debian Linux fan!) I doubt that bitty 230 watt DC motor would cut much aluminum, so I guess I'll stick with a 6040 and 800 watt motor for now. I'll need to fabricate a dust-cup and mister to keep the aluminum from gumming up the bit. I'm sure it'll all come back to me after a few dozen broken bits.

What do you guys use nowadays for a good mister lubricant/coolant for aluminum?

Page 26 of 40 16242526272836