586,112 active members*
3,081 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SLO-SYN Motor

Hi there

I have 3 SLO-SYN stepmotors type: KML092F-102 (DC 1.4, 7A) and was wondering if someone have a good controller plan for this type. The original boards is burned out and i need to get better ones.

Hudini, welcome to cnczone..... great place isn't it?
    I have similar motors which became too much of a pain in the butt, having to use power resistors to limit current, mine are 1.7v / 4.7A per phase.... and to get any useable speed from them, I would have run them at 12 to 24vdc, but this reduces the amount of torque they are capable of because how I understand it, steppers torque curve drops off as you increase the speed. Not to mention @ 7A per phase you're looking at 14Amps per motor if they are 2 phase. I think it's going to be tough finding a driver that will handle those motors, it may be more cost effective to go the route of steppers with specs more in the range of 5V-12Vdc / 1.0 - 3.5Amps Per phase.... then this would open up your options for using a xylotex board or some Gecko's.
    I'm sure the veterans on here will get you going down the right path.... the combined knowledge out here is downright scary !!

Good luck !
    -Art

My fears come true

Time to start looking for new motors =(

Hello. I have similar slo-syn motors on my X and Y axes. I run them at 36V yielding about 100 IPM. My controllers are Applied Motion 3540m I picked up at eBay for $26ea. My power supply is an HP lab type that can dish out >15A but even with all three steppers running under load, I've never seen the ammeter move past 4 amps total.

Slo-syn are great motors, in my opinion. I would give them a try before getting others.

JR

The Geckos will run 7 amps, no problem. Use a G202 or G212. They have the all important short circuit protection built in.

If using a 36V power supply and a chopper drive it will not consume 7A to supply 7A to a 1,4V motor. You'll be closer if you assume V*A will be the same on input as output. Add some for losses, but the losses in a chopper are small.

If using drop resistors, you will only get as much Ampere out as you put in. But for this size motor the only sane option are choppers. And Gecko is one example of such a drive.

it may be more cost effective to go the route of steppers with specs more in the range of 5V-12Vdc / 1.0 - 3.5Amps Per phase
    The problem with using higher voltage lower current motors, is that they have more inductance, and inductance is the main thing that limits the speed. To get good speed from a stepper, the supply voltage should be much higher than the voltage of the motor. To get good speed from a 12v stepper, you would need a power supply around 100 volts or more.

even with all three steppers running under load, I've never seen the ammeter move past 4 amps total
    When you run a chopper type drive with a higher voltage supply, the average current from the supply will be much lower than the rated current for the steppers. As long as you have fairly high value capacitors on the output to supply the instantaneous current, your power supply current can be rated quite a bit lower than the current ratings on your stepper. This is not the case with the resistor type drives. When using drives that require resistors, the power supply must be able to supply the full rated stepper current.

If the Gecko drives will handle the stepper current, that is probably your best option.

Jeff

Will Geckos run the stepper current for these Slo Syns?

............and why?

A dumb question I know but there again this is a minefield!!

Andy

I need a stepper motor fast

TYPE KML092f-102... or just the shaft(my motor works but the shaft is broke)
    PLEASE CONTACT ASAP 714 899-9810 huntington beach ca. usa

Matt Murphy

shoptask with Slo-Syn?

I'm very interested in these motors. They SEEM like a good match for my shoptask tri-power machine. But then again I'm new at this- so would appreciate any other opinions. There is another auction going off soon, but only for two motors. Of course I'd like to keep all 3 axes consistant motorwise, but do people ever mix & match with good results? (ie. have a different brand/spec motor control my Z axis?)

Thanks for any help!

If they are for sale, I am interested.

Ours are driven by a Pacific Scientific PN 6410-001-N_N_N. I have seen them on Ebay for $480