586,115 active members*
3,386 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Programming Help-Student

Hello all I am new to the forums and have been on several forums and still need some help and I dont wanna sound like too much of a noob but, I am.
    Since this is the teachers section, Id figure id post here.

I am currently enrolled in a continuing Ed. program in the CNC Machining field.
    I am having a hell of a time learning some things and I dont have the attention span to read, and what I do read just isnt sinking in.

I have noticed a few things about programming im seeming to overlook. When programming a taper in canned cycles Do I just need to post where the taper ends then where it starts or do I need to tell the control where the taper begins and then ends. And then what about doing a tapered thread, do I need tell the control to follow the taper. But ive been just so lost. Any information you could provide would be a great help.
    Thank You.

For your programming question: You have to have a starting point and an ending point.

G0 X1.25 Z0.1
    G71 U0.045 R0.025
    G71 P101 Q102 U0. W0. F0.012
    N101 G0 X0.750 (STARTING POINT X)
    G1 Z0. F0.008 (STARTING POINT Z)
    N102 G1 X1. Z-1.5 (ENDING POINT X AND Z)

Sadly, your problem with learning is faced by many more younger people today than older ones. I think this is due to two reasons: One is a lack of discipline at younger ages. The other is we have trained younger people to focus on what is exciting and contains movement and sounds to stimulate the senses, and reading not very stimulating. For your difficulty in learning, as with any skill, to get better, practice, practice, practice.

Quote Originally Posted by 07BlackOps View Post
    .... And then what about doing a tapered thread, do I need tell the control to follow the taper....
    Yes but you don't use explicit start and end points. The threading canned cycles G76 and G92 use an I value in the canned cycle definition line to specify the taper between the start point and end point of the thread. This value is normally a radius measure which differs from other canned cycles such as G71 where you program the taper using diameter measure.

As txcncman says you are going to have to develop the attention span to read through training material. I will agree it is not easy but it is necessary. And don't get too discouraged if things do not seem to make sense the first two, three, four, ? times you read them. Eventually things will start falling into place.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.