586,389 active members*
3,022 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Threaded View

Cool Canuck's HD Metal Monster

HD Metal Monster is purpose designed for cutting AL wing molds for model airplane gliders. I wanted a machine that was compact and would still be able to cut at least 6 foot long molds out of AL accurately.

Here's my background: Since I don't post on CNC Zone very often, some of you may be interested. I'm a trained electrical engineer with little knowledge of metal working. I grew up on an Island off the east coast where my family has build fishing, sailing, and power boats for many generations. As a teenager I built my own row boat and grew up around the boat shop.

My first foray into CNC machines was a home build CNC Hot wire cutter. I learned a lot on that build. In fact 2 builds as the first attempt was abandoned. The second machine is still in production and has cut thousands of wing cores for my hobby business Canuck Engineering. Since I have a background in electronics I even designed and built the controller PCB assemblies from scratch using bi-polar drive circuit to drive Vextra Steppers.

Soon EPP foam plane design went by the wayside as I discovered higher performance glass and carbon gliders. Thoughts then went to some day having my own machine to cut molds. Inquiries to machine shops for molds was disappointing as the cost was far too prohibitive.

I decided I could build a machine for about the cost of 1 finished mold set and then build all the molds I wanted along with everything else. I made a decision to start down that path. I knew I had a lot to learn and still do.

First Step (3 years ago): Take basic milling class at local Community college. Next class was a G code class which was less useful but still needed if I want to understand G code well.

Next Step: (1 year ago): I started drawing up my plans and accumulating material. CNC Zone is a great resource for a newbie like me. After a couple of months I had a design and a living room full of materials. See picture. Who doesn't have 700lbs of steel in their living room.

Next Step: I joined the Club Workshop (Welcome to Club Workshop) in Denver to get access to their machine shop tools. 2 CNC mills, lathe, band saws, drill presses, welders, etc. I then took their CNC class to get certified and started learning CAM and making chips. I also moved my hobby business Canuck Engineering next door to the Club Workshop to have an excuse to be in Denver more often. (I currently live 80 miles away) The commute for work sucks buts its been worth it so far.

Basic Machine Stuff:
    Chinese 2.2kw water cooled spindle
    HIWIN linear bearings for all 3 axis purchased from www.automation-overstock.com.
    700lbs of structural steel (all 1/4" wall)
    AL bits are MIC6 3/4" and 1" plate
    Machine cutting area 6' x 20" x 6"
    Accuracy and Repeatability in the order of 0.001" is the goal.

All joints will be drilled, bolted, taper pinned, and Moglice similar to Madvac's legendary machine.

Electronics, 4x 7.2Nm Servos, Power Supplies purchased as a kit from DMM-tech.com

I'm planning on using Rack and Pinion for 2 axis with 2/1 reduction from cncrouterparts.com.

The z axis is a ground ball screw acquired of feebay.

Various tools, drill bits, taps, reamers, machinist level, straight edges, squares, etc. all had to be purchased.

Total budget plan is to stay under $10K. Profit from Canuck Engineering is funding the project as the machine will be used to expand the product line currently offered.

Actually first cuts and grinds started on 8/20.

I intend this thread to document the build from start to finish.

To be continued....

Andrew
    Canuck Engineering |
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc router render.jpg   179397_495557681045_532676045_6628180_7624190_n.jpg