586,075 active members*
4,028 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help with OIMB control.

I have a Fanuc OIMB control on a router that I need some help with? anyone able to help me get started?

I've powered it up and got it homed, and am able to move it around with jog. I'd like to see the spindle run but no luck with doing so in MDI...

You should be able to go into MDI mode, you should see PROGRAM(MDI) in the upper left corner of the screen. If not, press the [MDI] soft key.

O0000 should be highlighted.

key in M03 S500 EOB then INSERT

You should have O0000 M03 S500;

Press CYCLE START.

I've seen a lot on here about the Oi-M and Oi-T controls.

I've been offered one of the 'B' models for trade for some extra 18i and 16 stuff that I had.

Are there many differences between the A, B, C and D models?

I would particularly be interested in seeing a fully configured B model.

How much memory is stock?

Not a huge amount of differences between A and B. C series saw the PCMCIA card slot up by the display. But navigation was not radically different. The D series has some changes to uploading, downloading, and navigation. Not horrible, just a PIA because it is different. Memory is Machine Tool Builder defined, as the control is sold as a "package". So options from control to control will be different. Fanuc can tell you what is in a control by the CNCIDNUM file. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by dcoupar View Post
    You should be able to go into MDI mode, you should see PROGRAM(MDI) in the upper left corner of the screen. If not, press the [MDI] soft key.

O0000 should be highlighted.

key in M03 S500 EOB then INSERT

You should have O0000 M03 S500;

Press CYCLE START.

I did as stated, and it displays as you show, but when I hit cycle start, nothing happens. No error messages either.

I also have a spindle ON and spindle OFF buttons, when I hit spindle on, I get the message" Spindle speed must be specified before spindle will start." I don't know if thats relavent to useing mdi to start the spindle though.

Try adding a G97 to the line G97M3S500 EOB Insert.
    Again from MDI mode - it should not matter, but........
    Since I am not familiar with routers per se - does this machine have some sort of spindle lock? Is it in background edit? (BGEDIT)
    Also, if you are in single block, you may have to hit cycle start 2x for it to work.

Regarding the spindle on and off - this will not function until the spindle turns on one time from MDI or from a program.

Tried it, but no spindle yet...Thanks for trying to help, I appreciate it as I'm not getting much help from the manufacturer. they don't seem to have alot of experience with this control. I checked for messages but not getting anything as in an error message....

Sounds like you have an interlock issue. The spindle won't run if the doors are not closed or the chuck is not shut as a few examples.

Does the control read the code in MDI but never leaves that line or finishes it? Have you tried any other simple codes in MDI like coolant on or even a G90 just to see if it will execute the code. If it does then I would suspect an interlock issue. FYI some of the examples I gave may also be tied into interlock as well. I have one that won't let me even turn on the coolant if the door is open.

Stevo

Yeah, I too was thinkin along the same lines. it shouldn't start with the doors open. If it still wont start with the doors closed the switch might be a problem. Some idiots disable or remove the switch.

Could even be in machine lock. My spindle wont start if its in mlock.

My 1988 Fadal 4020HT had some issues with the door switch. Eventually rewired and replaced the switch fixed it.

I noticed the cursor goes to the end of the line and remains there...Is there a page to see if an interlock is active?

It would appear then that the code is not getting the finish signal back and that something is stopping it.

You will have to look in your diagnostic bits or the ladder to see what is holding it up. I really don’t know exactly where you need to look. Others here I am sure can tell you exactly where to look.

Stevo

Can someone guide me to the diagnostics or ladder?

See attached for viewing the diagnostics. I also added a note on what needs to be pressed in order to view the ladder.

Stevo
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for your help and documentation Stevo1.

I have the General diagnostic screen up after entering "G03 S1000 EOB" then pressing [insert] [cycle start] , (the cursor remains at the end of the line) and diagnostic codes 000~015 all have a :0 at the end. does that mean there is no error code generated?

The ladder screen requires a password it seems, Is there a input to try?

I should add I can move the table around and home the machine, just not able to start the spindle yet.

Quote Originally Posted by klrskies View Post
    I have the General diagnostic screen up after entering "G03 S1000 EOB" then pressing [insert] [cycle start]
    Don't you mean M3 not G3 to turn the spindle on??

Stevo

Yes, M3.
    I have the ladder up now, ( password is "X") and not getting power to some of the pendant box switches...waiting on the machine schematic to arrive in a few days.

Spindle Running.

Wireing issue inside the remote pendant control. many thanks to all who took time to help!

Ken

Great work Ken…..glad you got it going. Thanks for coming back and posting the solution.

Stevo