586,047 active members*
3,784 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Resolver

Resolver

Hello, I have a Kollemorgen Servostar CD CR6xxxx. This is a resolver position, AC driver unit that uses 110/220 VAC and can be used for up to 2.2kw 3ph AC motor. I have a Yaskawa SGMSH-20A motor (3ph 2.0kw) that I am going to use for this. I have already removed the Inc Encoder and purchased a Tamagawa TS2013N6xxx resolver and have completed the connections. To include a quadruple check for issues and loose wires, there are none. I'm in the middle of setting up the Motionlink software for this combo.

My issue is that when I get to resolver calibration and I set everything to the "Zero" position and I turn the resolver 180 degrees the software thinks its actually turned 360 degrees. So for every 1 turn the driver thinks its turned 2. I've already thought that it might be the number of poles, so I changed it from "2" to "4" and the issue is still the same. I'm actually at a loss right now as to how to get the software to play nice with the hardware. If anyone knows what I might be missing I would greatly appreciate your help?

I know this is a very abstract issue having all of the differing combination of parts from different manufacturers. I've gone though all the manuals and searched on the net and still have not found anything. I just thought maybe someone here has set up a Servostar with the Motionlink for a resolver before. Thanks for any help!

SFL

Does the drive expect commutation pulses?
    Somehow it probably needs to know the rotor position and you may have an arbitrary position by just installing a resolver?
    Just a Guess!
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Does the drive expect commutation pulses?
    Somehow it probably needs to know the rotor position and you may have an arbitrary position by just installing a resolver?
    Just a Guess!
    Al.
    The connections to the drive for a resolver are a reference voltage (Excitation), and then a sine and a cosine wave. Since the sine and cosine are out of phase by 90 degrees these will modulate the reference voltage and the drive will know the angle of the shaft based on the unique wave form created by the sine/cosine wave interaction of each and the reference voltage. I attached a picture that kinda shows this.

I think I might try and find someone that has an encoder based Servostar and try to do a trade with $$. Then just put back the original Inc Encoder. This whole resolver business is a PITA... Thanks!

SFL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ResolverFeedback.jpg  

we will help u trade if u want, we have lots of both, but u may be in worse shape doing that. what type of enc did the motor have? absolute? proprietary?> did if have the required halls or comm tracks? lots more wires and lot harder to phase not only motor but also halls now from unknown device.

resolver is a cake walk once u figure it out. ok. first things first. if fdbk circle goes around 2x for 1 mech rev of the motor(resolver) then yes, u have resolver poles wrong; this means u have a 4 pole resolver instead of the 2 pole u have picked in the software. make it 4 pole. gotta get the circle to match the motor rev first.

res expected is 50% transformation ratio; there are behind the scenes adjustments for this but 99% of the time that is not required.

if u can get 1 rev of motor equal to 1 rev of feedback page circle, then u can go to phasing it with the zero on command and rotate resolver by hand to line it up with motor pole.

but u need to know the no of motor poles to do this too - do u know? if not, count em: short 2 motor leads together and rotate it by hand counting the humps. this is ur motor pole count. once set in motor page then u can zero it.

enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by mike_Kilroy View Post
    we will help u trade if u want, we have lots of both, but u may be in worse shape doing that. what type of enc did the motor have? absolute? proprietary?> did if have the required halls or comm tracks? lots more wires and lot harder to phase not only motor but also halls now from unknown device.

resolver is a cake walk once u figure it out. ok. first things first. if fdbk circle goes around 2x for 1 mech rev of the motor(resolver) then yes, u have resolver poles wrong; this means u have a 4 pole resolver instead of the 2 pole u have picked in the software. make it 4 pole. gotta get the circle to match the motor rev first.

res expected is 50% transformation ratio; there are behind the scenes adjustments for this but 99% of the time that is not required.

if u can get 1 rev of motor equal to 1 rev of feedback page circle, then u can go to phasing it with the zero on command and rotate resolver by hand to line it up with motor pole.

but u need to know the no of motor poles to do this too - do u know? if not, count em: short 2 motor leads together and rotate it by hand counting the humps. this is ur motor pole count. once set in motor page then u can zero it.

enjoy
    I will give it another go on setting the pole count. There are some other things I was going to try. I found a technical update for the Servostar that updates the settings for MPHASE on AKM motors. I'd have to read it again to try and explain what it was referring to, but I got from it that it changes the Range of the feedback.

I am determined to get this thing working one way or another and I will document all of my goofs and victories here... Thanks for your help Kilroy.

SFL

sfl,

MPHASE wont make any difference for u: u gotta get 1 mech rev of motor/resolver to be 1 turn on feedback (PRD or pos res feecback) goes 0-65536 per mech rev. ck ur resolver specs u bought - is it 2 pole?? or 4 or 6? get the fdbk wheel right before u do anything.....

MHASE is 0 to 359 electrical degrees; which is 1 pole set. u will be using zero to make mphase=0 so dont worry about mphase.

call me mon morning if u want to talk abt it or pm or email me if u want more detailed help. u can do it!

Kilroy,

It took a little while to get, but Tamagawa sent me the spec sheet on the resolver. I have it hooked up properly and I have a feedback. For some reason no matter what number I put in for pole count it still gives 2 electrical rotations for 1 mech rotation. Well if you could take a look at the PDF and maybe offer some advise I would appreciate it.

SFL
    Attached Files Attached Files

stay on and I will verify something by running one on my desk....give me 5 min to turn on my computer to talk to it..... do u IM? if so IM me?

Won't you have to apply a gear ratio between motor and resolver for that resolver to match the motor?
    Siemens and Fanuc motors used to use a miniature gear train.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFlyLoser View Post
    Kilroy,

It took a little while to get, but Tamagawa sent me the spec sheet on the resolver. I have it hooked up properly and I have a feedback. For some reason no matter what number I put in for pole count it still gives 2 electrical rotations for 1 mech rotation. Well if you could take a look at the PDF and maybe offer some advise I would appreciate it.

SFL
    so u r good to go: ur resolver is 4 pole (2x) so it will go around 2x on the red feedback circle. By setting MRESPOLES (the box on feedback page next to red circle that says no of poles to 4, it setes it right internally, even tho the display did not get corrected - like all the other drives!

now u have to have the MPOLES in the motor page set properly to the no of motor poles too. once that done the system shud work if the res is setup to zero on a pole. im(those little icons on top right of the posts) me if u want and I can walk u thru it?

Servostar CD + Yaskawa + Tamagawa=???

Well I guess I'm digging this one up from the past. Kilroy I hope youre still around.

I've got the resolver mounting issue figured out. Just as a reminder I was hooking up a Kollmorgen servostar CD to a Yaskawa Servo Motor. Issue before was resolver feedback to the driver in addition to a mounting issue. Finally got the adapter made and the Tamagawa resolver mounted on the Yaskawa. So now my issue is that when I enable the drive the motor shutters and the shaft shakes then the drive disables and gives me an R2 fault. Which is an RDC error (Resolver to Digital Convertion) . So I see it as 2 issues. The motor shuttering and the RDC. Any information would be of so much help.

SFL

so u r good to go: ur resolver is 4 pole (2x) so it will go around 2x on the red feedback circle. By setting MRESPOLES (the box on feedback page next to red circle that says no of poles to 4, it setes it right internally, even tho the display did not get corrected - like all the other drives!

now u have to have the MPOLES in the motor page set properly to the no of motor poles too. once that done the system shud work if the res is setup to zero on a pole. im(those little icons on top right of the posts) me if u want and I can walk u thru it?

are you somewhere with internet access to the computer running motionlink on that cd drive? if so, want me to come in via free teamviewer and see what is going on with you watching?

i would discount the r2 error as 'real' since u dont really have control of motor yet.... sounds like you have not set current limit (user limit2) to 1 amp to stop radical shaking and oscillations until you have control. get control first with LOW current limit THEN r2 error prob goes away - it is prob from exceeding the sine/cos input freq respoond with such hi shaking.

Will give that a try tonight. Thanks

SFL

i would discount the r2 error as 'real' since u dont really have control of motor yet.... sounds like you have not set current limit (user limit2) to 1 amp to stop radical shaking and oscillations until you have control. get control first with LOW current limit THEN r2 error prob goes away - it is prob from exceeding the sine/cos input freq respoond with such hi shaking.