586,104 active members*
3,449 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

stepper driver testing

Is there a method of testing a stepper driver to find out what is wrong with it?
    Here is the brief story:
    My machine was working fine , I went on 2 week vacation and when I returned the x and y did not work.Z is ok.I opened the panel and the light on the stepper (Leadshine microstep M542) was not on (see photo).I tried switching the x and y but the y stepper light did not come on.I disconnected the wire couplings at the back of the control unit and tried the x and y motors on the z output and all the motors work.Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnccontrol.jpg  

Well, obviously the drivers are fried. Why aren't you contacting LeadShine tech support? Oh... because they are in China. Well, if you buy from China, you get to deal with China for tech support. Now, if you had purchased from Gecko, or Linistepper, then you would be in contact with local support who speak English and can tell you how to get a replacement or repair the driver yourself. Best wishes.

You could try taking your Z driver that works and installing it to the wiring of the X or Y ( which ever is not working). Then if the Z driver does not work there then it may be a wiring or maybe even a BOB problem. Ofcourse you could also take the driver not working and try hooking it up to the wiring of the Z axis to see if the driver is good. Its unlikely that two drivers dead at once adn it seem to me it might be a BOB problem, or even a parrelle port problem. ARe there fusses in the system anywhere?

If the drive is bad then it must be replaced there is no fixing it.

Jess
    GOD Bless, and prayers for all.

Here's a dumb question, if as it seems from what you wrote the drivers BOTH stopped working while you were away and were NOT using the machine, have you tried pulling them out, and going over them and the interface board to ensure a bug hasn't died and shorted something?

If they just suddenly died while not being used, then it's usually got to be one of three things from my experience:

1 - you left the power connected and had a surge or strike that hit components
    2 - there is or was moisture in the system, or damage from moisture/condensation
    3 - a critter died on components, or left waste on components, shorting them

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Thanks to all for your support!
    I have the unit plugged into a power/surge bar but it was plugged in (although swithched off)and there was a lightning storm when I was away.Condensation or bugs (and or droppings) may also be a factor.
    When I plug the wires going to the working Z into the suspected nonworking driver the light does not come on.This leads me to believe the driver is faulty.I can get one for about $175.00 CDN(shipping incl.) from Toronto Ontario which is reasonable for my current budget.
    The company I bought from has been very good with technical support , I am just looking for a wider range of answers which this forum has helped with.