586,075 active members*
4,003 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New to Metal Working - Advice

Hello ,
    I am woodworker who just bought a hobby JET 3 axis mill to expand what I can build. I bought the mill because I got a good price on a used one. I have never done any metal working before and wanted to know some sources for beginners. List of any DVDs , web sites , etc... that help beginners learn to mill and what can be done with a mill.
    Thanks

While not modern(CNC) Lindsay Books has a lot of books on all types of machining. People will tell you that they have no relevance to CNC or todays machines, but milling is milling. The basics have not changed, just the machines.

Lindsay: Milling Machine How-To Books

Welcome, Woodworker, I drilled down through your profile and it seems you are in Cleveland, Ohio I presume.

What size jet mill and what would you like to do with it? We need a little more direction to know where and what to recommend.

GeneK

Quote Originally Posted by woodworker10000 View Post
    Hello ,
    I am woodworker who just bought a hobby JET 3 axis mill to expand what I can build. I bought the mill because I got a good price on a used one. I have never done any metal working before and wanted to know some sources for beginners. List of any DVDs , web sites , etc... that help beginners learn to mill and what can be done with a mill.
    Thanks

U-Tube will have many video's of milling instructions and just people simply using there mills. There are even school based vids you can view.

One thing is for sure, metal working and wood working are totally different. All though you will find the same intuitive instinct that helps you with woodworking will also help with metal. The feel of a machine when its working can tell us a lot. Feeds and speeds are much more important with metal, and its much easier to kill cutters/bits when doing it wrong.

Here are a couple links I do have though.

Introduction to Machine Tools
    Untitled Document

Untitled Document

A link with many links in it
    Untitled Document

Home

Other links with vids and helpfull info
    SmartFlix, the Web's Biggest How-To DVD Rental Store

Link to a site everyone should have, will take a very long time to even look over whats there. Bob who runs the site is a member here also.

CNC Cookbook: Software and Information for Machinists

I have a set of vids somewhere I cant find that are very good basic learing vids for milling and lathe. They are on U-Tube, but when I find them I will come back and give a link.

I may have already linked to these but here are the vids I was looking for.

http://techtv.mit.edu/collections/ehs-videos/videos

I hope this takes you to ten vidoe's. If so watch them all they are pretty good. At this same site you can find many video's if you spend time looking.

Jess
    GOD Bless, and prayers for all.