586,052 active members*
3,935 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Welding Brazing Soldering Sealing > Bonding flanges to a timing pulley?

Bonding flanges to a timing pulley?

Hi All,

I am making some timing belt pulleys for my spindle drive on a small machine. I have to add flanges to one of the two pulleys or the belt will surely walk off the pulley.

The flanges will be approximate sizes...

ID 3.75
    OD 4.25
    Thickness .050"

I originally was thinking of having a friend tack weld these one but my gut is telling me they will warp like the dickens. So, I am wondering if there are some epoxies that could be used to bond these flanges onto the pulleys?

I was thinking perhaps J-B Weld would work as that is a really tough, metalized epoxy that seems to bond well to metals. Anyone ever tried this?

TIA

Chris

Any good tig welder should be able to do this. Hell send them to me I'll take care of it if you like.-Dave

Okay...I'm a bit confused....why would the timing belt walk off the timing pulley....that should only occur is there is misalignment......just wondering??

For the same reason the belt mfgs. recommend it - because it can happen. They recommend at least one of the two pulleys be flanged.

Gist I thought, I've seen timing belts with a center rib. No flanges needed. One brand name is Flex-E-Grip. You would have the added task of cutting a radius groove around the circumference of your pulleys.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by bdrmachine
    Gist I thought, I've seen timing belts with a center rib. No flanges needed. One brand name is Flex-E-Grip. You would have the added task of cutting a radius groove around the circumference of your pulleys.

Hope this helps
    Thanks, will check into that. It sure would beat putting on these darn flanges!

CHris

Quote Originally Posted by MrHorsepower
    Any good tig welder should be able to do this. Hell send them to me I'll take care of it if you like.-Dave

Thanks for the offer Dave, I do know a couple of welders so I will check into that option too.

Chris

If I were going to glue a part like that together, I would use some Hysol epoxy. We used a few different flavors to do repair work on Indycars, and it is pretty amazing stuff.
    Makes JB weld look like scotch tape.
    Google Loctite and Hysol.

Flange on pulley

Here's one that uses screws...then the "ring" flange is slightly stamped(peened) between the screw spacing for added security.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flange on pulley.JPG