586,636 active members*
2,980 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

ez-router anyone?

I am looking for a high-speed router for 3d work. Ez-router (www.ez-router.com) claims 500ipm on 3d parts and 800ipm on rapids. It basically looks like a rack and pinion drive with steppers. I currently have a practical cnc (www.practicalcnc.com) router, but even when commanded to cut the 3d parts at 100ipm, it actually achieves around 25ipm. I guess I am timing linear inches, but I can't imagine going up and down a total of .1" in small slopes creates that much more distance. Thanks.

Rob

Are you running their control software? If so, is it possible to run your machine using Mach3 to see if their is a performance increase?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

It is a WinCnc controller. It came with a pci card for my pc and then that goes to their box. I'm pretty sure it's step/dir, so I guess I could try MachCNC. The cards it uses are dedicated and fast, so I doubt using MachCNC will drive the control box any faster. I'll certainly look into that. I think it's the limit of the steppers. I think ShopBots use the alpha step plus motors from Oriental Motor company. They are fast and expensive, since you need to purchase the controller with their motor. Thanks.

Rob

I'm thinking the software can't look ahead fast enough, which would cause it to run slowly.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I'll certainly look into it. It would be a great no-cost upgrade, other than MachCNC for $149. Thanks.

Rob

In the world of Cnc often times you get what you pay for. I am talking about both control software and cnc tables.
    If you are looking for a good solution, you may take a look at ShopSabre.

They use Wincnc motion control and rams 3d software. I would put this machine solution up against any other in this price range.

has anyone used the Ez-Router. Planning to buy one. Any objective views? Any views on BobcadCAM software.

E-Z Router vs. Shop Sabre

I just got back from both shops. I travelled from Phoenix, Arizona just to see some machines. I was impressed with the both owners and their machines. I plan to order a 4 X 8 Shop Sabre machine this week. Be prepared for "sticker Shock", though. Remember.....You get what you pay for.
    After looking all over for a medium-duty machine to get started with, I think Shop Sabre is probably the best deal. The guys at E-Z Router were good too, but I didn't like the rack and pinion drives with cog belts and the lack of cable trays. They were about $6,000.00 under Shop Sabre for the same configuration, though.

Thanks for the feedback Svelte, but I know nothing about cog belts and cable trays. Could you explain, as I am a novice in this arena. I hve already committed to EZRouter and cannot change my committment at this late stage.

Question I'm kinod of new, too...

If you look closely at the pictures from E-Z Router, you will see that the wiring for the gantry is just wrapped in flex-tubing and drpaed across the machine. Go to the other sites (even eBay) and you will see what I call a "link tray" setup that contains the wiring and keeps it from being kinked or pinched when the gantry is in motion. The guys at E-Z Router told me that you have to watch the wiring as they have had operators get the wiring caught. When this happens, it can tear out the wiring or cut it which could result in short circuits. That could put you down for quite some time and cost you money for new control circuits.

Depending on who you talk to, the belts can be good or bad. The belt reduction setup results in higher definition, but belts can break. This also can be a good thing if you happen to hit a fixture. A $10.00 belt is a lot cheaper than a gear drive. However, the guys at Shop Sabre claim that they have never lost a gear drive in an accident like this.

I am kind of confused about all of this myself. My area of expertise is in metal machining on large commercial equipment. I have heard good things about both E-Z Router and Shop Sabre. I have met with them both and they seem very honest. I just liked the way the Shop Sabre looked better. It seemed more robust. However it is costing about $6,000.00 more than a similarly equipped E-Z Router model. I am hoping that I get what I am paying for.

Let me know how your unit works out for you.

hey Svelte, thanks for the info. I took a look at the picture of Ezrouter and saw just what you said. I figure I might have to find a way to correct that cable setup. here is a picture for anyone who might need to know what we are talking about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x8 EZRouter.jpg  

Post Cabling

Here is another picture of the cabling on the EZ Router. This cabling setup on the "Y" axis was what bothered me the most. I still think they make a pretty good machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E-Z Cabling.JPG  

Finally, after as many machines as we have sold somebody speaks on the zone. This is great guys, I am glad you like our machine. I do want to clear up a few things though. First, I do not want to nit pick. But, what was said is we had a customer that dropped a piece of 2" plate steel on the cables running from the control to the gantry. This severed the line and caused some timely and costly repairs. Even if it were in wire track, this would have been costly and maybe more damaging. But all of our machines are available with e chain wire ways; matter of fact, if you look at the machine on our home page it has e chain wire ways. By not making you buy e chain, because it is the only way we sell it, we save the end user money. And this is the only incidence known to us of problems with the cabling. Thanks for the feed back we are always open to ideas for improvement.

Have a Great Day
    Daniel Berry

Question See what I mean....

You can see what a class act the guys at EZ-Router are by their reply to my post. We did not discuss cable tracks when I was there and I was not aware that they were offered.
    Now if someone could just give me definitive answer about the upside/downside to the rack-and-pinion vs. ball-screw debate I could FINALLY order a machine. I can see where the latest poll here shows a large margin in favor of ball-screws, but then I just read where you have to worry about "whip" in longer screws. Since I am ordering an 8 foot table, I now have that to worry about.
    Can anyone tell me a REAL horror story about either? I will be machining wood mostly and .0001 tolerances are not going to be needed.
    Any help from people on the forum or even a manufacturer would be greatly appreciated.
    My biggest problem is that I have narrowed my search to either EZ-Router or Shop Sabre. They are both class acts, in my opinion. They both have professional-looking production facilities. Neither one slams other manufacturers and both organizations seem very knowledgeable. EZ-Router is the cheaper of the two, but price is not everything. Both machines are robust and well-built. I guess it just comes down to ball-screw vs. rack-and-pinion.

HELLLLP!!!

Red face I just spent $20,000.00

Okay. Since no one could answer my question about ball screw vs. rack and pinion, I just went with the survey results.
    I placed an order for a Shop Sabre yesterday. I got quite a few bells and whistles and the order ended up right at $20,000.00 with the shipping and crating to Phoenix, AZ.
    I should have the machine in 4 to 6 weeks. I would love to get in contact with someone who purchased an EZ-Router so that we could compare notes here in the forums about our experiences with our machines. Maybe it would help someone like myself with little CNC experience to make an informed decision.
    I would also still like to hear from someone who purchased one of the Chinese imports and see how they are doing. They sure are cheaper up front. It would be interesting to compare notes about their actual operational costs and problems.
    Hope to hear from someone on this.

EZ-Router vs Shop Sabre vs Shop Bot

Well I was really enjoying that thread and was anxious to read the punch line and it ended, like watching an episode of Soprano's and them leaving you with a cliff hanger! I thought it was an unforseen twist when you switched to a shop sabre. But now I want to know what you think of it?! Did you have to send them your computer? Does it meet all of your expectations? I am in the same boat that you were in, I started looking at the shop sabre and then decided to go more industrial and looked at camtech.ca and multicam, and then over to thermwood, once I hit the $100K mark I decided this was crazy and WAY more then I needed and now I am back to the three above.

Any suggestions?

Svelte, you cant leave me hanging, how is it? Are you happy? Did you have to send them the computer?

Svelte, I think you made a good decision.

Browsing through their website, I get the impression that EZRouter is a fab shop with little experience in actual machining. Certain components of CNC machines really need to be machined from solid materials IMO, rather than thin plate (motor mounts), and angle iron(linear rails). The THK linear rails and carriages on the Shop Sabre are easily worth $1.5K more, because that's how much more they actually cost. EZrouter appears to be using 3/16" angle iron with $10 V-rollers. Not your best choice for a precision machine.

Zumba, thanks for the reply. Do you own a shop sabre?

Well I thought I would put in my 2 cents. Yes I am new and this is my first post but I don't mean too step on any toes so be nice :P

I'm in the same boat now as many others on this topic. I have narrowed my choices down to EZ-Router and ShopSabre. I have spoken with both companies and can say I get a more professional feelings from the guys at shopsabre. I've never had to wait to get ahold of those guys, and they didn't seem bothered by my 20 question routine and hour long conversation. I enjoyed speaking with EZ-router as well but I got the impression they are just a couple guys workin out of a shed building CNC machines (Nothing wrong with that because who of us are not that guy ) But it took several unanswered phone calls and emails to finally get in touch with these guys, all of which were placed during PRIME business hours. So I would say that put my first impression with EZ-router on a shaky foot. After all, if you cannot get a hold of these guys to buy a machine. Who is to say support will be there when it breaks down? But I cannot speak all bad, after that first impression EZ-router has been prompt with information and readily available.

I guess it comes down to Ballscrew VS. Rack.... A ballscrew is more accurate (when setup properly under the right circumstances) Though a rack has faster speeds.... One good , one bad, one good, one bad. After exhausting each companies reference list I could not find one person who bought one machine had a bad experience then switched to the other machine. Everyone was happy with their machine but at the same time no one had experience with the competitors machine. Again back to square one.

I finally came to the fact that there probably is not a right or wrong answer on which is the better of the machines. There is way too many variables in the fact of what you will use the machine for, what materials you will cut, what type of bit you will use ect.... So I relized it was going to come down to my research on the subject and what will be right for me.

I started by calling more expensive machine manufactures that build your $100k machines ment for 24/7 production use....Surprisingly enough after reading all the hype about ballscrews I found quite a few of the higher priced manufacturers to be using rack and pinion, as well as ballscrew. So again I was at a brick wall. So I had decided to get a professional opinion from my father (Robotic engineer for general motors) from our discussion, it again comes down to what you will be using the machine for. Ballscrews can hold a tighter tolerance than a rack but we are talking differences of .005 - .001 seems like alot yes but in woodworking and cabinet making is it really that big of a difference? In woodworking the most common tolerance would be 1/16th of an inch to 1/32nd.. which when converted comes to .0625 and .03125 so in perspective the .001 -.005 should be irrelevant in a woodworking machine.

Now the belts, The timing belts on the EZ-router caused for some concern. But the more a thought about the more I relized that the timing belts used on an ez-router may be one of those simple yet brilliant ideas. Timing belts are used in our everyday lives.......for very accurate operations.........almost all new cars use timing belts to control the timing on an engine. Seems to me that timing of an engine would have to be pretty accurate....if a belt can do this in a machine we all use everyday then it must be accurate enough for a cnc-router? I also like the fact that if something did happen, that belt is going to break rather then a gear drive. Belts are cheaper and readily available 7 days a week in my area.

Cable management-Irrelevant I believe, any problems in the cabling can be fixed.

Table- Both machines offer solid welded tables

Speed- Again extremely variable, unless you plan on purchasing a 5hp spindle with your machine I believe this would be irrelevant, a 3.25 router in 3/4 inch material probably isn't going to do much more then 250ipm - 300ipm

I have heard some people say that the shopsabre is just a "heavier" machine. I find that funny, because both have shipping weights of 1500lbs.

Ill tell you something I really do like about EZ-router.....no hidden costs. The price on the website includes everything from the motor to the table. Almost everyone else hides the cost of the legs, I guess to remove some of the original sticker shock?

You definately get what you pay for we can all vouch for that.....but do you need the extra stuff your paying for between these machines? Remember the more expensive the machine the more expensive to maintain........

I would say the shopsabre is more accurate with its machined rails and ballscrews....but we are talking accuracy of thousandths of an inch and if all I'm going to be doing is woodwork in a world where .0625 is acceptable any day of the week do I need to spend the extra $7000.00 to hold an extra .001" of tolerance? I mean honestly for $7000 you could buy a second machine right?

I am sorry for such a long long post but I have alot to say! I am by no means an expert on anything and like many others am struggling between my decision of a cnc-router. I plan to order an EZ-router unless I can find someone with an absolute horror story as to why I shouldn't......

Thanks for reading my novel guys!

PuritanKY

Page 1 of 3 123