586,072 active members*
4,681 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Taig Mills / Lathes > Quick Change tool holder for Taig Mill

Quick Change tool holder for Taig Mill

Has anyone built or bought a quick change tool holder for the Taig? I have seen a few posts, but they never seem to go anywhere, and I have not found anything using search engines except Lathe tool holders.

I've spent a lot of time researching this. It doesn't look like there has been a system that has worked very well. The most common commercial one was from High Tech Systems, and it was known to slip under high cutting loads and then was removed from the market.

I think that the spindle bore is just far too small to do something like a downsized version of the Tormach System. The head setup also doesn't really have the ability to add the weight of a power drawbar.

The best that I've done is using A2Z tool holders. They install and remove fairly quickly using two wrenches (just like normal Taig collets) and get you a repeatable Z-position. I also use the Taig ER16 adapter this way on my non-ER16 headstock. The nice thing about the ER16 adapter is that the collets grip tighter than the set screw in the A2Z tool holder, and ER16 covers in between sizes (handy for mounting drill bits). A downside is that they cost a little more and are longer so you lose a bit of Z.

I've come to accept my Taig for what it is, and realize that if I do want something with the next level of features, travel, and rigidity that I should be looking at something like a Tormach. The Taig is still a very capable machine and my Taig has come close to paying for itself just in producing parts that I've been able to sell.

Joe Vicars built a model for the Sherline years ago. It was a pretty wild design that seems to work very well. A parts kit was available for the arms for many years though I dont think he has any left now. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm2BLr2Gt3A&feature=related]Prototype Mini Toolchanger - YouTube[/ame]
    It wouldnt hurt to check. Isnt the Taig ER16 based?
    Thought this is also a Sherline spindle too, I cant see why this wouldnt work.
    Sherline werkzeugwechsel - USOVO.de
    Regarding the IMSRV/High Tech Systems rapid tool changer, it just didnt work cutting metal (for me with either or any spring tension) it was a great idea and tool changes were quick but the slipping was unmanageable. If any one has a doubt, I have a HTS system for sale!

Damn I was going to order that one form High Tech systems!!!! Is that the one that was listed at $300 Thats too bad.. I just went to the site and see thats its $0.00 and they must not make it anymore becouse there giving the drawing out for free!

Rapid Changer

Cant someone make this work?? We need something like this for the Taig as an upgrade.

DELETE

Sorry!! DELETE!

HOW do I delete this!!!

I got one when the price was low, about $149 for the changer and 3 ER16 tool holders. shortly after that they went to $300.
    I really like them and now will have to make my own tool holders.

GeneK

Quote Originally Posted by GeneK View Post
    I got one when the price was low, about $149 for the changer and 3 ER16 tool holders. shortly after that they went to $300.
    I really like them and now will have to make my own tool holders.

GeneK
    Wow $149 I'll take a used one for that little!

So what RPM's, tool size and DPC have you run with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Wow $149 I'll take a used one for that little!

So what RPM's, tool size and DPC have you run with it?
    I have the A2Z monster Mill with the Sherline head stock and 10K RPM spindle. As I recall the changer is limited to 10K. I run around 8K on most of my work. Depth of cut is usually 6 to 10 thousands and 6 to 10 IPM. That way the chips are small and don't pile up to break the bit.
    I use 3/32 2 flute end mills with 1/8" shank. We had a over stock outlet type place here in Roseburg for a while. They had lots of the PC board drill and cutters at 30 for $5 so I stocked up on those and several High Tech 1/8" tool holders.

GeneK

Talking

Genek, you my friend you are a teaz... And I mean this in a good way..
    30 endmills for 5 bills?? Nice! I need to take you out and see what kinda deal you can get with the ladies! Jk but realy

Genek translation = deal finder

Sent from a iPhone , sorry 

Tease? moi?

You make me laugh. It does remind me of my friend Gordon who always grumbles at the fast food places when we order the same meal and I pay less. I just tell him to ask for the senior discount. He's 7 years my senior
    and hasn't learned to ask. As for the girls I'm afraid any interested in me need their head checked. Besides I'm going on 47 years with the wife and I don't think she's ready to trade me in yet.
    To make the end mill bargain worse, the first boxes I just bought as is and tried to find the ones that had more mills than drills. Then the owner told me to mix and match what I wanted, just keep 30 per box. So I have almost 200 3/32 2 flute end mills.

GeneK

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Genek, you my friend you are a teaz... And I mean this in a good way..
    30 endmills for 5 bills?? Nice! I need to take you out and see what kinda deal you can get with the ladies! Jk but realy

Genek translation = deal finder

Sent from a iPhone , sorry 

I don't know if this is what your looking for but check out IMService it's the imservice website. They offer a fully automatic tool change setup for the sherline headstock. It's a bit steep at 1200.00 dollars but it's pretty awesome that someone finally has one to offer. It maxes out at er11 but that should be fine for most people. The system has been offered in Europe for several years. ( I'm can't remember the site). I'm pretty sure there just importing for the American market. Hope this helps.
    Judleroy

The HiTech Systems QC is pretty poor IMHO. The run-out is just plain awful at somewhere in the 0.010" (!!) range. When I got one up to 10K RPM it was so noisy I was scared to use it.

That type of run-out is VERY detrimental to tooling.
    Jeff Birt

Jeff you have broached what I was going to bring up next, I have only used the HiTech QC on engraving projects that were more 'artsy', not precision and I do admit that I've not gotten around to checking the run out on the bits. But when you are just routing out small wooden signs the run out just doesn't show up.

GeneK

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff-Birt View Post
    The HiTech Systems QC is pretty poor IMHO. The run-out is just plain awful at somewhere in the 0.010" (!!) range. When I got one up to 10K RPM it was so noisy I was scared to use it.

That type of run-out is VERY detrimental to tooling.

But when you are just routing out small wooden signs the run out just doesn't show up.
    I suspect your just not looking in the right place.

Run-out causes your bits to wear out prematurely (and break) it is also harder on your spindle bearings. In wooden signs you'll often see excessive run-out causing chipping around the edges of letters, etc.

One of my customers has had this same attitude that run-out does not really matter that much with when cutting wood. He bought a lot of bits from me for the past two years and finally this year he replaced his router motor and bought precision collets for it. The quality of the work he is turning out is better and his bits are lasting a lot longer. (Have not sold him any bits for months.)

Run-out does indeed make a big difference...
    Jeff Birt

The thing with the HTC system is that the toolholders often have an equal amount of runout one you tighten the screw, so if you mark each one of them, as well as the holder, you can "balance" the run-out to under .001" most times by lining up the marks so that the run-out in one opposes that of the other. Still, for me, it just isn't the right way to do things, so I sold the one I had. It was a nice idea, but making anything that fits on the threads of that Taig spindle is going to make for an inaccurate setup. Now, if it were made to fit the taper of the ER-16 spindle, and were ground in a single setup, that is OD, inside Taper, outside Taper - it might be a really neat deal.

You know I have a Dyna DM2400 and they used to make an ER16 toolholder that did fit the inside of the bore/taper. It uses a nut that has an almost cloverleaf pattern, upon tightening it seats the toolholder, upon loosening the nut it ejects the toolholder. I have never checked them for runout but they seem very well made. Of course for the prices Dyna got in the 80's & 90's, they should be great toolholders (if price was an indicator of quality). However in all of its other features they took no shortcuts so I suspect these are pretty nice holders. Here is a couple of drawings
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...1&d=1213317907
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...2&d=1213317907
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...3&d=1213317907
    If I find a pic around here I will post it. I do have a few round. Not for sale.

I think the main problem with the concept on this mill is that the taper for an ER16 is so small that there is not enough surface area to generate enough friction to hold a tool securely, unless it is in there tighter than you can get it with belleville washers and still get it out easily. Even the ER16 nut is made to pop the collet out, as it has to really be wedged in there for a 3/8" end mill. I can see something working for 1/8 shank tools, though, for people who use those, exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by judleroy View Post
    I don't know if this is what your looking for but check out IMService it's the imservice website. They offer a fully automatic tool change setup for the sherline headstock. It's a bit steep at 1200.00 dollars but it's pretty awesome that someone finally has one to offer. It maxes out at er11 but that should be fine for most people. The system has been offered in Europe for several years. ( I'm can't remember the site). I'm pretty sure there just importing for the American market. Hope this helps.
    Judleroy
    That does look impressive; but abit more than what I need. The High Tech one also looked good, but not if it had .010" runout.

I was looking around 'cause I have come up with a design that will bolt onto a stock Taig and allow for different tools. It will take up some of the Z. I needed something for myself just so I can engrave my parts before machine them; stamping is too tedious and kind of ugly.

I wanted to see if there is any interest; not sure if I will make them for resale or just one for myself. It is not an ATC, but also will be closer to $200 or so if I do offer it.

I'd be interested in a $200 quick change system, even if it took a bit of Z, if it had similar runout to Taig collets and worked with tooling up to 1/4" and could handle similar torque to Taig collets.

For now I do mixed engraving and cutting by using V mills. They aren't really designed for engraving, but they work pretty well.

For engraving I have found that Center Drills work the best. They are cheap, double sided, and come in many different sizes. If you pick the right size, it will be the same width.

I am still making some progress on the tool changer; the initial design looks good. I am hoping to get some dimensions from the guys in Scottsdale to match the holder with their head stock.