586,102 active members*
2,394 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > I.C. Engines > 1/5th Scale V8 Blown
Page 1 of 3 123

1/5th Scale V8 Blown

This is the official kickoff of the blown Demon V8. I’m going to start a new thread so there will be no confusion to someone who starts reading the other thread.
    I looked over the parts in the garage. I did make a lot of stuff for the second engine but when we started getting to the end a lot of the “I’ll make two” went out the window.
    Among the big parts is the block. The block and oil pan are 100% complete. The liners and lifter bushings are pressed in and the bores are finished and ready for pistons. That will save at least a week and maybe two. The bell housing adapter and bell housing are also done.

The heads are done 100% and the valve cages are pressed in. One head has the valves installed. Both heads will need the rockers installed. All the pieces for the heads are made and tucked away for the later process.

The intake is nowhere. I made the blank but still need to do everything. This manifold will be completely different than the carbureted unit.

The valve covers are done but will need some kind of work to fancy them up a bit.

The camshaft is cut and assembled. I still need to do all the hand work to smooth out the cam lobes.

I also have the Timing cover done as well as the balancer and blower pulley.

I’m thinking the place to start is with the block. I’ll get it trimmed out with crankshaft, rods, pistons and so fourth and just roll from there. It will be a slow start because of the holiday ending and I have a lot going on in the next 2 weeks.
    HERE WE GO AGAIN!!

this one wont be as hard as the first. the learning curve is behind you now. looking forward to the progress reports.

subbed and watching.

Quote Originally Posted by FannBlade View Post
    subbed and watching.
    me 2

If I didn't have 20 other unfinished projects I would start building one as well. I will keep watching all the progress just to see what I am missing.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

In the thread header there is a menu "Thread Tools". One of the items in that menu allows you to subscribe to a thread without having to post subscribe messages. That reduces the amount of noise in the thread and ensures that when you get notifications, there has been real content added to the thread (unlike this message ;-))

bob

Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post
    In the thread header there is a menu "Thread Tools". One of the items in that menu allows you to subscribe to a thread without having to post subscribe messages. That reduces the amount of noise in the thread and ensures that when you get notifications, there has been real content added to the thread (unlike this message ;-))

bob
    I think the idea behind the "I'm subbed" posts was more for Steve's benefit letting him know his fan club is ready and waiting for the show to begin.

Quote Originally Posted by cforcht View Post
    I think the idea behind the "I'm subbed" posts was more for Steve's benefit letting him know his fan club is ready and waiting for the show to begin.

My fan club is waiting for me to put up the new fence.

Are the prints for the blower encluded With the motor plans or seperat. Also could you PM me the price thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kd4gij View Post
    Are the prints for the blower encluded With the motor plans or seperat. Also could you PM me the price thanks.

I'll post them here so others can see also.

Motor is 68 pages $50usd (built and running)
    Blower is 27 pages $25usd ( i have only built a prototype so untested )

That's correct
    Quote Originally Posted by stevehuckss396 View Post
    My fan club is waiting for me to put up the new fence.
    As long as it has a gate.

I instantly though of you guys when I ran across this video, watch the crazy final boring procedure. Think this has more than 500 lines of G code?

Matsuura Maxia: V8 Engine Block Machined From Solid - YouTube

Fannblade,
    Ive seen that vid its impressive. I cant imagine trying to program that without CAM software. the high speed 5 axis is cool lets you do all kinds of things you cant do with a conventional mill. porting heads comes to mind

I got rained out at work today so I took a few hours in the garage. I guess this would be the official kickoff of the Version 2, Small V8. It is the same engine with a roots blower. I would guess this one will go a bit faster than the first but the way work is I don't know if I'll get back in the garage this month, or next month.

My friend Ron wants to bend the tubing in his new bender for the zoomies so i made the flanges today. The last time I made them I drilled and reamed the holes for the pipes. That didn't work well in .063 thick plate so this time I milled the holes .010 smaller and then reamed them to 5/16. Still not perfect bit I am alot happier doing them this way.

Awesome!
    Glad it rained. What material is that?

Steve,
    how many engines you building?

Quote Originally Posted by FannBlade View Post
    Awesome!
    Glad it rained. What material is that?

303 stainless. Same as the last set.

Steve,
    how many engines you building?

Just one more!

I made a set for the zoomies. Then My bud wants to try to make a fancy set of almost F1 looking pipes. They are all curvy. Then there is a 3rd set for a set I want to make that are a modified version of the T-bucket set on the first engine.

By pal built a tubing bender and now all he wants to do is make miniature headers.

I know what the F1 pipes look like. he must like challenges. If hes willing I would be more than happy to have him do my exhaust. ask him what he would charge me. looking for a set of regular headers like yours and a set of zoomies and a set for the boat which would be like yours only upside down. of course maybe the regulars could be mounted upside down. not sure. at the least a set of regular headers and a set of zoomies. mine are .4375 od tubing.

I know what the F1 pipes look like. he must like challenges. If hes willing I would be more than happy to have him do my exhaust. ask him what he would charge me. looking for a set of regular headers like yours and a set of zoomies and a set for the boat which would be like yours only upside down. of course maybe the regulars could be mounted upside down. not sure. at the least a set of regular headers and a set of zoomies. mine are .4375 od tubing.

I'll ask if he is interested in doing them. He has fixtures for the 1:1 but the 1.5:1's are one off. Probibly wont be cheap.

let me know. thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123