586,106 active members*
3,165 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > I.C. Engines > 1/5th Scale V8 Blown
Page 3 of 3 123
    Quote Originally Posted by stevehuckss396 View Post
    I would prefer to stay away from the dowel to avoid drilling unnessary holes in my part.
    if the dowels allow you to get a good part, would you really consider them unnecessary? I wouldn't. we call those holes "for manufacturing purposes". besides the holes will not affect the structural integrity of your crank in any way. but like I said before. you learn more from your mistakes than your triumphs. let us know if the extra bolt or bolts help.

What about an allen head socket screw inserted through your adaptor and accessed with a rather long tool through the spindle. You would need to add a threaded hole to the square end of your part but this would, as I see it, not be seen or create any finishing problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejets View Post
    What about an allen head socket screw inserted through your adaptor and accessed with a rather long tool through the spindle. You would need to add a threaded hole to the square end of your part but this would, as I see it, not be seen or create any finishing problem.

I thought about that one also but that is the place where the press fit and probibly pin will be installed to secure the two pieces. I'm not sure how the press fit will hold up if the tip of the square were hollow.

I guess we will find out tomorrow.

Well here's the deal. I decided to try to cut a recess in the fixture so only the outer most part of the largest disk would make contact with the fixture. After the cut the piece was worse rocking all over the place. I then started to re-cut all the diameter and found that one of the holes was about .006 to shallow. The shaft before the square end was bottoming out before the large disk was contacting the fixture fully. That explains why the previous attempts were fruitless. After fixing the flaws I got 3 good ones in a row.

Subscribing , this looks like it will be good. Cant wait to see it done.

Ive never built an engine before I would like to. DO you prehaps have blueprints , Cad and cam files for this engine you maybe want to give me? Or can you point me in the right direction in finding some?
    Thanks MARK

Quote Originally Posted by Arich0908 View Post
    Ive never built an engine before I would like to. DO you prehaps have blueprints , Cad and cam files for this engine you maybe want to give me? Or can you point me in the right direction in finding some?
    Thanks MARK
    See post #10 of this thread for info on the prints.

I finally have something to report. My friend Ron fired up the tubing bender and I made the flanges and then he came over to silver solder the pipes together. Unfortunately this will be about all for a while. Still working too much but I hear it might end after the holidays.

Page 3 of 3 123