586,110 active members*
3,401 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Think this will work for a cnc lathe?

Alright I know this is a long shot, but I came across this lathe that I think I can get for about $100. It runs and the previous owner has died. I don't know what it is or dimensions, but I thought surly someone on here will know.

So one, do you know what this is?

Two would it even be worth trying to cnc?

Three Thanks guys your a wealth of information.

Looks fairly heavy and decent quality. Doesn't look like a SB to me, but not sure what else it could be either.

Might help to ad a pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00069-20110829-1316.jpg  

I would not CNC that lathe. And it looks a bit of a odd ball on brand. My guess is it was made somewhere around the 1930.

Chances are it will only go about 500 to 1200 rpm on the spindle also.

Now I would recondision the old girl and run it for what it is. It will be limited somewhat for what it can do, but it will also be able to do a lot that other lathes want be able to do.

Does it have any change gears, follow and steady rest, chuchks and such that god wit it. You need to look around and see if the change gears are there anyway. The more complete the lathe is the more value it will have, because the more usable it willl be.

I doute it will even bring big money, but you never know. If you do what a CNC lathe or other such machines having this lathe around as a workhouse will be worth keeping it going. WHatever you do dont let it go to the scape.

Jess
    GOD Bless, and prayers for all.

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKY13 View Post
    I would not CNC that lathe. And it looks a bit of a odd ball on brand. My guess is it was made somewhere around the 1930.

Chances are it will only go about 500 to 1200 rpm on the spindle also.

Now I would recondision the old girl and run it for what it is. It will be limited somewhat for what it can do, but it will also be able to do a lot that other lathes want be able to do.

Does it have any change gears, follow and steady rest, chuchks and such that god wit it. You need to look around and see if the change gears are there anyway. The more complete the lathe is the more value it will have, because the more usable it willl be.

I doute it will even bring big money, but you never know. If you do what a CNC lathe or other such machines having this lathe around as a workhouse will be worth keeping it going. WHatever you do dont let it go to the scape.

Jess
    I know very little about it. Its being sold by the surviving family of an older gentlemen who has passed on. I am a college student so I don't have the room for a second lathe. Its tough to explain to parents why you "NEED" two lathes.

Thanks though