586,655 active members*
3,359 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123
    i've got the 381kit from kelling in a much smaller machine, but there's no way you can safely push your rapids with such a small motors.

Give it a try maybe it's not that bad, however if you want more you'll have to upgrade to a more powerful controller and bla bla bla.

Nice job, i really like the heavy duty base :P

Ok Richard you read my mind, have you considered 2:1 gearing/chain drive (probably you have) just bouncing ideas around.
    Eric

Hello Eric and Leix,

thank you for your suggestions. Since the 387 oz-in steppers are available locally in Melb at < $50, I think I'll go ahead and just buy one of them to see what difference it makes.

Failing that, I'll think about the 2:1 pulley idea as I'm not keen on upgrading the controllers and steppers just yet as I'd be up for at least $500-$600. Machining up some guide plates for this may be my first project!

Thanks again,

Richard

Hey mate, Ive been doing a project almost parallel to yours ( similar components, also in melbourne, and I just got mine running a few weeks ago ( check out the photos here if u like, http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...ter_build.html).

I also had the same problem as you with the rapids, boot up your pc into the bios, and change the parallel port mode to epp, then change the mach 3 kernel speed to as high as possible, youll magically get super smooth 5000mm/min rapids on all your axis.

G'day Josh,

saw your build post recently and have been watching with interest. Wouldn't it be good to turn back the clock so that you could do things differently? Still, making mistakes is the only way to learn eh!

Before you changed your BIOS settings, were your motors stalling or were you simply not getting getting good rapids full stop?

Now having problems with my chinese spindle -> http://www.cnczone.com/forums/phase_...chi_wj200.html

Cheers, Richard

my motors would stall out at about 2000mm/min before i changed the bios settings, and now i get around 5000mm/min, but you can just tell from the noise the steppers make that the whole thing is much much smoother.

I just read the manual for the Chinese inverter and had it going in 5mins, it sounds like one of your phases is disconnected for it to be spinning slowly and making noise

Update on stalling issues.

I purchased three new 387oz-in steppers and tried one of them on the troublesome y axis. The improvement was quite noticible and I can now get rapids of up to 3,500mm per min without stalling. So this is good news!

So I'll replace the y and z axis motors and I should be up and running shortly.

Resolved my spindle issues and have got speed control and on/off relay working perfectly with mach3/g540/wj200 all talking to each other correctly.

Richard

Hi Richard

Would you be willing to let me know where you purchased your Spindle and VFD from. and would you recommend them as a good vendor ?

Hi Merlin,

I sourced the spindle from Chai at linearmotionbearings. He has a good reputation within cnczone,

linearmotionbearings2008 | eBay

The Hitachi WJ200 VFD came from a company in the US, but I can't recall who unfortunately. However I notice that there are a couple of sellers on eBay with 100% ratings.

Regards,
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by cnc3678 View Post
    I sourced the spindle from Chai at linearmotionbearings. He has a good reputation within cnczone,
    This is true, but keep in mind that many people complain about the terrible packaging. Probably not a big issue for shipping a spindle (more of a problem with ballscrews), but just something to keep in mind.

Agreed, he didn't pack my screws and rails very well despite my request to take care in this area. However he communicates well and the spindle came well packaged in dense foam.

Guess that's the price you pay when going cheap.

Page 3 of 3 123