586,060 active members*
4,192 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Hypertherm Plasma > how to use the rear interface plug on Hypertherm 45 with hand torch

how to use the rear interface plug on Hypertherm 45 with hand torch

In a perfect world, here's what I would like to do;

I would like to mount a 2 way switch on the Hypertherm 45 with one side being normal mode, and the other having the machine "think" it has a machine torch hooked up.

I want to be able to activate the hand torch, as well as use the voltage output with a hand torch hooked up to the machine with the rear interface plug.

There are 3 sets of interface signals on the rear interface plug on a Powermax45.

1. Plasma start input is located on pins 3 and 4. This input is only active with a machine torch connected to the power supply. Contact closure between 3 and 4 will start the plasma.

2. Arc Transfered is located on pins 12 and 14. This is an internal dry contact in the Powermax45 that closes whenever the plasma arc is cutting metal with the work ground clamp attached. This signal is active with either a hand or machine torch attached.

3. 50:1 divided arc voltage output. This is an analog voltage that is divided to 1/50th of the Raw arc voltage as measured between the posiive work ground lead and the negative torch electrode. This output is active with either hand or machine torch, and voltage will be present whenever the torch is cutting.

So...the only signal that is designed to not function when a hand torch is installed is the plasma start input.....as the hand torch has its own trigger switch that supports torch starting. Having a remote method of starting a hand torch can be dangerous....as firing the torch when it is coiled up in storage could cause the arc to start a fire.

There are schematics in the Hypertherm manual that could be used to bypass the safety circuitry that Hypertherm has designed into all of our hand torch plasma systems....however we cannot offer advice on how to bypass this start circuit interlock.

The best recommendation is to use a hand torch for hand cutting....and a machine torch for machine cutting, as the system is designed!

Best regards, Jim Colt

Thanks Jim;
    I wasn't sure if the 50:1 was active or not with the hand torch. You've answered that question.
    I've been pondering buying a machine torch for a couple of weeks now, but I'm still trying to justify it's cost, for a hobby plasma table that will on be used occasionally.