586,094 active members*
4,000 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Mitee Bite Uniforce Clamps- Machinable or Not?

Mitee Bite Uniforce Clamps- Machinable or Not?

Working on my first multi part fixture for 10x 6061 blanks that are .5" thick, 3"diameter.

the machining is pretty "light": 6 clearance holes, a centered clearance hole, with a .25" deep pocket around it using .25 F EM.

These are 40 per order and orders won't be more than every few months.

I designed a plate using 3/4" x 8 x 16" 6061, fasten .5" x 2" x 16" to the front and back and machine 45 degree Vs every 3.25" (V instead of round so I can use it on other sizes later).

I an planning on using uniforce clamps, but I'm wondering if the standard ones will give me enough holding force on round our if I need to get the machinable ones and machine a radius into them. if I do have to radius, how much meat should I leave in the center? the flat ones have next to none, so I don't think it matters.

I would prefer the regular because I could transfer them to other fixtures. also I know I can machine a center chanel to "keep then from turning" when parts are removed, but how deep and how much wider than the bottom width? all their info just says not to let them touch the wall, but I may chamfer the top and would like the .5" uniforce to be below the surface... our should I just get the .375"ers?

Anyone?

Anyone machine the machinable Uniforce Clamps? is it necessarily? having never used these I just don't know how much 500 lbs really means holding parts... 3 flats holding a 3"er for light machining seems adequate to me, but I am hoping for some feedback from someone that has actually used them.

Ive got them but never used them due to went another route.

I pulled this from the site:

Please contact us for distributors in your area,
    additional information, or technical support:

e-Mail:

[email protected]

Call:

800-543-3580 (US & Canada Only)
    603-539-4538

Fax:

603-539-2183

Mail

340 Route 16B
    P.O. BOX 430
    Center Ossipee, NH 03814

I tried calling but just got a call center rep that read to me from the same brochure I have in my hands. I was hoping to get feedback from someone who has actually used them before.

I guess I'll just buy the regular ones and if the parts lift up I'll buy the machinable ones and use the others for something else

Id use the machinable ones and machine the profile of your part, you'll get better clamping for sure.

I have done a lot of looking at the miteebite clamps, and was ready to buy until I saw the Carr Lane Tiny Vise clamps. Have heard good things about them.

CLAMPS AND ACCESSORIES, EDGE CLAMPS, TINY VISE

Quote Originally Posted by PriddyShiddy View Post
    Working on my first multi part fixture for 10x 6061 blanks that are .5" thick, 3"diameter.

the machining is pretty "light": 6 clearance holes, a centered clearance hole, with a .25" deep pocket around it using .25 F EM.

These are 40 per order and orders won't be more than every few months.

I designed a plate using 3/4" x 8 x 16" 6061, fasten .5" x 2" x 16" to the front and back and machine 45 degree Vs every 3.25" (V instead of round so I can use it on other sizes later).

I an planning on using uniforce clamps, but I'm wondering if the standard ones will give me enough holding force on round our if I need to get the machinable ones and machine a radius into them. if I do have to radius, how much meat should I leave in the center? the flat ones have next to none, so I don't think it matters.

I would prefer the regular because I could transfer them to other fixtures. also I know I can machine a center chanel to "keep then from turning" when parts are removed, but how deep and how much wider than the bottom width? all their info just says not to let them touch the wall, but I may chamfer the top and would like the .5" uniforce to be below the surface... our should I just get the .375"ers?

As far as machining goes, I always tell customers, "If I can touch it with a file, I can cut it."

Works every time!

I would go with the Tiny Vise.

Here's the video:

http://www.carrlane.com/catalog/inde...3B285352465D5C