586,358 active members*
3,531 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Webster plans

Here is a link to a site that has free plans for building a Webster engine.
    There is also a nice video of the motor running.

I downloaded and started cutting tonight and will post pics as I go.
    Dale

http://cablespeed.com/~jbwebst/WEW/W...as_Engine.html

That is pretty cool, I wish I had the patience to make something like that these days, an engine that just ran and really didn't do more than that.

I like the concept, its quite similar to a steam engine.

Jon

I'm taking it on as a stress reliever and it's already working wonders.

Dale

Hi there,

It looks like an interesing project. There is something fascinating about a slow running engine with all the working parts exposed. Keep us updated with your progress.

BTW, the site seems to have died. It worked the first time I went to it, but now it won't load anymore...

Regards
    Warren
    Have a nice day...

Hello Dale,

Have you made any progress with your engine lately? I know it's only just been over a week, but I'm keen to see how it's coming along. Any photos?

Regards
    Warren
    Have a nice day...

the site has moved, but it is very nice

The flywheel is almost done and I'll post pics as I move along. Unfortunately I make my living with my machines and can only hobby it between customer set ups.

Hi there,

Well, after seeing the Webster engine plans (thanks DLMACHINE), I decided to build one myself. I started building it on Saturday 8 October and had it running with a glow plug today. Yip, that's 2 weeks and one day build time.

I still need to fine-tune the carb, but it seems to work pretty well.

I've got a video of it, but it's 17MB and not such great footage. I'll try and get a better video tomorrow to post here. I'll also take some photos to post here tomorrow. Does anyone know how to make .mov files smaller? That would help a lot.

Regards
    Warren
    Have a nice day...

Hello again,

I have taken some photos of my engine. I have also taken a smaller video of 1.4MB, but it still won't let me upload it. The engine still needs some fine tuning, but I'm starting to get the hang of it now.

Any ideas on the videos?

Regards
    Warren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails webster.JPG   webster 2.JPG   webster 3.JPG   webster and mill.JPG  

Have a nice day...

Warren,
    Don't forget to tell the designer about your running engine, as I recall he mentioned that there were only two or three running that he knew of.

Looks great.

Ken

Hi there,

My Webster engine now has spark ignition. I have managed to upload a short video clip of it idling. I hope it works.

The engine fires 11 times in the 2.18sec clip (you can count it ), which works out to be about 600 RPM. I like it...

Ken, I have let Joe Webster know about my engine.

Regards
    Warren
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Have a nice day...

Talking

Hey Warren,
    I wouldn't expect to hear any "chug-chug" coming from Dale's (DLMACHINE) engine any time soon. He was in my shop today. And judging by the amount of work he has coming in, his little "stress reliever" may end up being 24 liters and with radial cylinders!

Here is mine.

Video 9M : www.ody.ca/~envanandel/engine019.avi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails engine 014.jpg  
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Sweet Balsaman,

Those look remarkably like ball bearings where the Bronze crank bushings are supposed to go

Nice

Ken

those are those new fangled bronze bushings...

Very nice job. I had to kill mine due to lack of time for working on it.Maybe I'll get back to it sometime in the future.

Hi balsaman,

WOW! Your Webster looks great. I like the rounded cylinder head and how you mirrored it (your flywheel is on the 'wrong' side ). The spoked flywheel also adds an extra finishing touch to it.

What points did you use on your ignition and what kind of fuel are you running it on? I tried using a straight petrol/oil mix, but it clogged the spark plug up with carbon after only about 10mins of running. I now use a methanol/oil mix and everything stays clean.

I see you also didn't take the shortcut and use a commercial carburettor. It seems to run very well with your needle valve assembly. Does it start easily?

Well done once again.

Warren
    Have a nice day...

Thanks!

It starts easily, but I did add a spool to start it with a rope. I can't start it with a flip of the flywheel like some.

I have since modified the carb to include a rotating barrel which provides true throttle control.

I use straight camping fuel (no oil). No fouling of the plug yet with an hour or two of run time on it.

Points are out of a 69 dodge charger, which is the set recommended in the plans.

Eric

Hi Eric,

It's funny that you should say your engine won't hand start. I added a pull-start to mine when it was new, because I was having trouble starting it, but it only lasted about a day when I then took it off. It now starts easily with a couple of flicks of the flywheel.

The camping fuel makes sense. A lot of guys are using this for their model engines. I tried to get some here in the UK when I was having trouble with petrol and I did find it, but at £6 per 500ml, I decided to go with methanol.

Regards
    Warren
    Have a nice day...

Perhaps it's the carb. I'm sure the motor would run better with a RC engine carb. Still, I don't mind pulling the rope and I can say the engine is all mine (besides the points and sparkplug).

I have started it by flipping the flywheel once, but it's really hard to pull it thru the compression (flywheel slips thru my fingers). How much compression does yours have? Does it use the cast rings called for in the plans? Mine uses an o-ring...

Eric

Page 1 of 2 12