586,113 active members*
3,209 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Best 3D CAM for Solidworks?

I'm getting the sales calls from Bobcam, and their package is on sale this week. I've searched previous posts, but I don't see much comparing Bobcam to Camworks, Solidcam, and HSMworks, which seem to be the leading Solidworks-integrated alternatives to Mastercam.

I am pretty proficient with our old version of Mastercam, but it has issues and we need to upgrade. I know that to get a new copy of MC is pricey, but you get more features than the others I mentioned. Can someone give an idea of what features I'd miss out on?

We do 3D machining with a 3 axis Milltronics mill, of prototypes and injection molds. So it's nice to have a variety of toolpath options, but no 4/5 axis or other machine types are needed.

Thanks!
    Chris

Going thru the CAM selection too atm.
    Have SolidWorks, about to purchase SolidCam.
    If you already have SolidWorks, then you are on the right track of getting a CAM system that is an addin to SolidWorks - allowing you to work directly on the CAD model without export/import/file tracking issues.
    My research has lead me to choose SolidCam:
    1) Have used CamWorks (way too many hours) - not a user friendly product.
    2) BobCam - its cheap for a reason.....
    Mastercam has always been a premium CAM product, but times are changing and Mastercam is not keeping up. Working with solid-models directly in Solidworks is the way to go, while Mastercam does offer a SolidWorks addin option - it won't be as functional as Mastercam on its own.
    I have found that no functionality will be "missed out" by going with SolidCam over MasterCam.
    SolidCam is just as pricey as MasterCam, but its not worth skimping on technology that is driving the cnc-machines.
    Note that my choice is not made easy - my company already has a module of MasterCam X5 (worth many thousands), which we are prepared to dump for change to SolidCam (doesn't help that MC support in Australia is s#%t poor).

Sorry no comments on HSMworks - haven't looked at this option.

Hope this helps! A great CAM system is an invaluable asset to a CNC company!

Why not search for all SolidWorks Gold CAM products?

SolidWorks By Product&Keyword=View By KeyWord&SearchType=GP&DSProductID=1&cam_only=0&gold_only=1

hyperMILL is a strong CAM product, with upside potential, and is competitively priced in your 3-axis comparison.

BobCAM for SolidWorks is a Gold Partner product listed on the SolidWorks website and it's affordable. It handles 2, 3 and 4th axis indexing.

BobCAM for SolidWorks is a certified Gold Partner product listed on the SolidWorks website. It handles 2, 3 and 4th axis. The variety of toolpaths include Z-Level roughing/Finishing, Planar, radial and spiral, Flatlands, Pencil, EquiDistant Offset Contour, advanced roughing with Rest. At is also affordably priced.

Continuing the thread - how about hobbyists?

I am a student hobbyist with a mini-mill and Mach 3. I also have a copy of NCPlot. I have a friend who has done some 2.5 D drawings in SolidWorks. My problem is I don't know how to get the drawings from SolidWorks to g-code for Mach 3. I tried importing a dxf file from SolidWorks into NCPlot but it came out 2 D, and lost all the z-axis.

Is there a way to go from SolidWorks 3 D to Mach 3 without spending the big bucks for SolidCam or something similar? I'm on a hobbyist budget!

Advice is appreciated.

Your best bet is to go with a CAM product you can afford that works inside of your SolidWorks. As far as Mach3 you just need whats called a post processor.
    Best,
    Chris

I tried importing a dxf file from SolidWorks into NCPlot but it came out 2 D, and lost all the z-axis.
    You need to set the cut depth in NC Plot.

Is there a way to go from SolidWorks 3 D to Mach 3 without spending the big bucks for SolidCam or something similar? I'm on a hobbyist budget!
    You can always export an .stl file and use MeshCAM or Cut3D.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the suggestions, Ger21. Exactly the information I needed!

Do you have a license of SolidWorks?

Yes, but student version. I don't see student version for SolidCam.

Re: Best 3D CAM for Solidworks?

For SolidWorks the only cam i see working was CamWorks and it works very well is a certified gold partner and has stratagies of machining for almost everything and works well in the machine

A friend of mine told me that HSMWorks is limited for 4,5 axis machining stratagies but works well

Re: Best 3D CAM for Solidworks?

Besides CAMworks, you might also look at VisualCAM for Solidworks, made by Mecsoft. It plugs into Solidworks and comes in an ascending range of versions, depending on which features you need, up to and including 4 and 5 axis machining.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Re: Continuing the thread - how about hobbyists?

Quote Originally Posted by equalizer700 View Post
    I am a student hobbyist with a mini-mill and Mach 3. I also have a copy of NCPlot. I have a friend who has done some 2.5 D drawings in SolidWorks. My problem is I don't know how to get the drawings from SolidWorks to g-code for Mach 3. I tried importing a dxf file from SolidWorks into NCPlot but it came out 2 D, and lost all the z-axis.

Advice is appreciated.
    Absolutely there is a way. HSMXpress is a totally free 2.5 mill product and will run in your student version of SolidWorks.