586,392 active members*
3,111 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

mastercam help

hi all,

i am moving from an old version of alphacam ('98) to Mastercam X3. I am interested if firstly learning how to profile 2D shapes etc and get used to the interface. It is fairly confusing to say the least and I am having trouble with applying the tools to the shape i have drawn. I am also having problems joining the geometry in teh fuirst place (even with a simple rectangle!!) do i need to making surfaces etc? or can it go on line geometry like the old alphacam does?

Sorry to be vague, but i am looking for a bit of set up help, as I am sure if I can get one tool path on then the rest will come to me in time.

Rich.

mastercam cutter paths can drive off geometry, faces, and surfaces. to connect lines to model a rectangle there are several ways. if you are building using lines make sure they are on the same plane and use the edit trim/break function to join
    BE NICE TO THE NERDS IN SCHOOL. THEY ONE DAY MAY BE YOUR BOSS

Stay on AlphaCAM

Hi - I think that you should stay with AlphaCAM - there is so much new/improved features in the 2011 version, that you ought to see that, before making the choise for Mastercam..

@ Beekeeper, Thank you for the reply. I think it will just take a bit of getting used to the interface and knowing where things are. I found a few things out yesterday .

@ camnerd, thank you for the response. I would like to stay with alphacam as it is 'what i know' it is just the financial side of things (we are a small family business). I might end up getting the alphacam to develop how i produce things and learn the mastercam on the side.

Thanks for the replies though guys, its appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by richpsr View Post
    @ Beekeeper, Thank you for the reply. I think it will just take a bit of getting used to the interface and knowing where things are. I found a few things out yesterday .

@ camnerd, thank you for the response. I would like to stay with alphacam as it is 'what i know' it is just the financial side of things (we are a small family business). I might end up getting the alphacam to develop how i produce things and learn the mastercam on the side.

Thanks for the replies though guys, its appreciated.
    I don't think there is much difference reg. prices... and espc. not when you allready got AC - if you ask for an upgrade to 2011...