586,108 active members*
3,113 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Double lead thread tooling

I am in the process of ordering double lead thread gages (rings and plugs) and when the quote came in it included a tooling cost. Can you please tell me what is so special about this tooling. I ran a CNC Hardinge Superprecision in the 80's and I don't understand what the big deal is to get a machine programmed to cut this thread. Please send replies to [email protected]

Doesn't sound like a big deal at all. It sounds like it's a custom thread, and requires a non-standard set up, and with it the special charges.

I'm assuming that grinding NIST traceable standards are going to be pricey by anyone's standards. I'm also assuming you went directly to the manufacturer...?

~I ran a Hardinge ASM-5C in the '70's. What a total POS that machine was.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Edgar View Post
    I am in the process of ordering double lead thread gages (rings and plugs) and when the quote came in it included a tooling cost. Can you please tell me what is so special about this tooling. I ran a CNC Hardinge Superprecision in the 80's and I don't understand what the big deal is to get a machine programmed to cut this thread. Please send replies to [email protected]
    it has 2 leads 180 degrees apart, due to this if your off just a .001 on one lead your thread gage will NOT go, the gage is used for functonalbility(sp) and of coarse tolorance.

You dont have to have any special tooling unless the form of the thread is different( ie specific root radi). you just have to start the lead 180 degrees different than the 1st lead you do that in the z axis. one lead will be at lets say .200 start and the others will be at a different Z start depending on how many starts

Very easy to do I have made thousands of them in 2 and 3 starts for speciality lead screws on a hitachi seiki lathe. matter of fact even made hundreds of ring gages as well in the same machine(used to work for a thread gage company long long ago.

Delw

BarbE

Thanks Dewl-I knew I could find someone to back me up. Also asked some guys here and they told me the CNC machines have no problem cutting this type of thread. I never had a problem with cutting any type of thread-had to possibly modify an insert or boring bar but no big deal.

I am really getting tired of paying high dollar for something that used to be normal tooling and gaging but now the industry is calling it "special". Appreciate your time-thanks and have a great day!

Hi Barbara, anything not listed as standard is a "special and is made at cost, that is probably $80 an hour labour rates.

A friend of mine wanted a small gear for a welding set-up.....gear was about 25 mm diam with 30 teeth or so, bore size as per sample....he got quoted $400!!!!!...ouch......the gear suppliers said the range they stocked did not include the one he wanted and so had to be a "special" order.

You would be shocked at the price a common hex bolt made in mild steel with an odd thread pitch would cost you.....on the other hand calculate how long you would take to make a special bolt with an odd size diam and thread for a customer, and your price to him/her.....they wouldn't get much change out of $100.
    Ian.

I can't see a need for "special tooling" to make a double lead thread gage. The cost will still be higher than a standard gage. probably way more than double the cost.

Probably a misnomer in "special tooling"....anything to do with gauge making is considered special.....just pay the money and you'll get the goods.......a gauge is someone else with expertise using a set of references to check your work and certify it.....provided that person who made the gauge is of reputable experience.....you will also get a certificate to warrant the accuracy of the gauge, and that is your gospel.....no certificate....go somewhere else.....the person making the gauge should be accredited to ISO 9002 or whatever the International standard is for gauge making etc.
    Ian.