586,069 active members*
3,596 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Precision Matthews/Quality Machine Tools?
Page 1 of 2 12

Precision Matthews/Quality Machine Tools?

Back in July I purchased a lathe from Precision Matthews/Quality Machine Tools out in PA. They're now 6-weeks late on delivery, and 'it's two weeks out' has turned into them not answering phones or email.

Their lack of response has me wondering if they're still in business and I'm trying to figure out if I just got screwed.

Thanks in advance

Jamie

They used to have a reasonably good reputation here, although there were consistent complaints about lack of timely communication (however I have not been a customer so I do not have first-hand experience).

Recently, those complaints have been amplified due to miscommunication and problems related to the delivery (including broken promises as well as obviously damaged and/or mislabeled equipment) of a new shipment of PM-25 mills. See this 3-page thread, for example: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht..._delivery.html

and more specifically, there are a number of very emphatic posts such as this one: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/987542-post87.html

No doubt several of the posters on that thread may have more recent updates on their communication with QMT.

I'm sorry to hear about this, because I was considering getting an 11x27 large bore lathe (or a 12x36 lathe) and a PM-45 mill from them.

I heard that they had a good rep, and was willing to live with crappy communication as long as I got a quality product, but it's getting kinda silly.

I'm going to try calling them a couple more times to try and get a refund before going all Consumerist and doing the chargeback.

I had ordered the 11x27VF as the variable speed seemed to put it above all the others in that same price range. I guess 'If it sounds too good to be true, it is.' applies here.

I've had a PM-45 ordered and paid in full from back in May, knowing they were out of stock at that time. The machines came in early August and I've been calling every other week for shipping updates. I'm told it "should" be going out this week, but here it is Friday with no email yet letting me know freight and tracking information. I really need to know when to schedule off of work to sign for the delivery. At least I've gotten a live person every time I've called however.

I finally got in touch with them yesterday - it took a nasty-gram, couple of terse voice-mails and a FAX to get his attention. Supposedly I'll be getting a refund on Monday.

@91TSiGuy - I made the mistake of paying in full too. According to the email I got, Matt is supposedly 'out of town' this week. I'm gathering that it's a one-man shop so I doubt if anything's been done on your order.

How did it go with your refund? I'm about to ask for one myself come next week if I don't see my machine by then.

I ended up calling yesterday to get a tracking # again, as I was told last week that my machine will probably be shipping by the end of the week. With no emails to prove this, I called and was told "oh, you ordered the PM45 without the power down feed and we only have them in stock right now with the power down feed, so that's why yours hasn't shipped yet". I was offered the upgrade to the downfeed version for free, and was told I should see it then in the next day or two. I'm beginning to doubt this as I haven't seen any freight/tracking emails as of today either. This looks like it may be my first and last dealing with them unless they come through. I may even drive out there (being in PA myself) and get the machine in person if I have to.

Haven't seen anything yet - I've been under the weather, so haven't called them, but have left a couple of e-mails.

If I don't have my money back by this time tomorrow, I'm going to see if I can do a charge-back, and then file complaints with both the CA and PA Attorney General.

I ended up getting a call from the trucking company yesterday asking if there's room for their 48' truck at my house (which is in town, so that's a definite negative) because they had the mill to deliver. I didn't receive any email notifications about it shipping so I was at work 40 min away and couldn't be there to accept the delivery or help or anything. Guess I'll have to go to the delivery terminal tonight to take care of picking it up.

On the bright side, at least they came through finally.

I've worked with Matt for years. All of my interactions have been positive. For instance, the DRO shroud on my new lathe was misaligned. He sent me the new parts no problem. I had to disassemble and reinstall the mounting brackets but I did have the new parts right away.

I bought a 1340 and it took a while but it got here. He works really hard and does go on vacation from time to time. When he goes he leaves his cell number. I never bugged him during this time out of respect.

He is honest and the deal he cut me was outstanding. The lathe is accurate and I've no problems. He has always taken my call. There is one item though. One of the screws on the taper attachment won't hold well. He had to order the part from the supplier. It's been over six months and no screw. If I could find one at McMaster he would have reimbursed me but there was no replacement there.

I am sorry yours didn't work out.

This is my experience with Quality Machine Tools. I am a college professor and don't have any reason to report a biased version of what I experienced.

You can PM me if you want.

Jon

Well, it finally appears that I've gotten my refund - I'm still leaving a negative Yelp review, though.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Jamie

It seems there is a lot of companies going through this exact same thing here lately. I am not sure whats going on but QMT is not the only one. Still no comunication can make things worse when dealing with internet purchaces and it should be avoided.

As for the hold ups again I am not sure whats going on. Its almost like shipments are not getting through the ports when they get there, or they are taking a long time to get there.

Jess
    GOD Bless, and prayers for all.

Often the manufacturers don't ship until they can have a full cargo container. Makes for low cost shipping.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Jamie,
    I am pretty disappointed that you felt the need to post some of the comments here, but I do understand your frustration. When you requested the refund, yes I at first had limited access to email because I was on vacation that week, I did not get any voice mails because I was out of town (and I did check and there were none when I got back, did you call during business hours and talk to someone or leave a voicemail?)

When I got back, I needed to get your card number, (we do not keep those on file) and as soon as you called with that, I ran it through.

Believe me, it is not like I wanted these machines to be late. I try and try with the factories to push them to be on time, and every time I check in with them, they tell me something like they will ship next week for sure, and then I wait to hear from them, check again, they tell me the same thing. I would rather have them come in a week early, so I would have good news to tell people.
    Right now, the factories are really busy with orders and they are taking a very long time to produce and make machines. There was a time when I could put in an order, and have it shipped in 30 days. Now it seems I am lucky to get them shipped in 90 days. This is only really with the smaller machines like this, the larger machines are no problem.

Anyway, I apologize that your machine was not on time, and for not answering the email sooner. I have been trying to find someone to hire that can strictly answer emails and update people about orders, and actually knows about machinery and customer service, but it seems I either find someone who is good with machinery and can not use a computer, or the opposite. I am getting so many emails a day that need answered, I can not possibly get to them all. I do try, but between phone calls, answering questions for the people in the shop, and everything else, emails do not always get answered.

But if anyone ever needs anything right away, it is best to call us, not email, because with a phone call you will get through and get us right away. And if no one answers, wait a little and call back, all the lines may be tied up. But we are here all day every day, and for me other than vacation, I have been working 14-16 hours a day, I should just move in.

I ordered a PM45 at the end of March and received it at the beginning of October. Matt did offer me a refund. He also threw in a 3-axis DRO instead of the 2-axis that I paid for and a vice.
    I feel that I was treated quite well. In spite of the delay, Matt was always very responsive and I have a high quality machine at a very reasonable price.
    I would buy from them again and recommend them highly.
    -Dick

I never did get that screw. I don't as he said he was on it. I've had to jury rig another for the gib.

Jon

They never returned my phone calls or emails a couple years ago, can't believe they are still in business.

Jon,
    Are you sure you never got that screw? I actually MADE one for you, one weekend seems to be about a year ago. If it did not arrive, that was sure a waste of time. You mean the flathead screw you needed right? It would have been in a small envelope, just regular US Mail. I remember how nice it turned out, I was real happy with it. I did it on a used Hardinge lathe I had here back then. I will email you, I am not on here much.

And Bamcnc who are you? With the name is SEEMS as if you are trying to promote competition. Just a guess, but no idea though.

But I can say, I sure try to return everyones phone calls. I am sure I miss some, I am only person and if you ask for me and only me, sometimes it is tough. I am surely not the only one here, but I do know the most about the machines here.

Sometimes I feel like I should hire zombie people who run an order center like the bigger places do. People complain that they ask for me, and I am not available, probably because I am working on their machine. And if I take calls while working on machines, they would never get done. When I have an 8 hour job to do with 10 - 10 minute phone calls in between, it can't happen. That is probably my mistake, doing a lot of custom stuff for people.

It feels a lot like I should have a call center with order takers, and only ship machines that the factory offers and do not even open the crate or install anything on them like most of them do. Pretty much just a shipping and receiving center like the bigger guys.
    We are not a one man shop, but when it comes to very custom things and installs, I do those. (not DRO and things, I mean like VFD's, special chucks, or other mods people want)

But I like the machines way too much, and love dealing with 99.9% of the people who I deal with, so I can't see that happening.
    But those guys are making lots of money and probably sitting on some beach somewhere, while I am at work every day, working on machines and doing what I like to do, making an average machinists salary. And I am happy.

Ask 99% of the customers who are happy, that is how we are still in business. Anyone who I have dealt with knows that if something happens, and they let me know about it, I will make it right. The key is, let me know about it.

No Competition at all, I was wanting a BF20 back then, that's was a good reply, and its good to know some behind the scenes, it helps justify things better.

Oh Ok, sorry, just thought it because of the name.

Here is some of what we have going on right now. Some more 1127VF Lathes getting DRO put on, some of the 1340GT Lathes getting DRO on, my Thanksgiving Day project is a Hurco CNC Retrofit, you can even see one of our PM-45M Mills that we use here in the shop.
    And my desk, with tools all over it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Matt,

As an early customer I can say that the machines are really good for the price but will have a certain number of quality issues that go with that price (my motor drive blew early on). That's where communicating can make or break things. You were great to work with and seemed genuine in you interest in making it right, but getting in touch was the hard part at times and there were a couple of times the date slipped and I had to contact you guys to find out what was up. Take that same situation and I didn't get through to someone and never heard back and I'd be on here saying that I thought I was ripped off too. I stuck with it because when I did talk to you I got the impression you did care and were going to get it taken care of.

My feedback would be:

- The website could use some attention. Hosted shopping cart systems are out there everywhere and getting one setup that looks nicer could help things a lot. Knowing that things are out of stock and 90 days out up front would be much better.

- Set an expectation on email. Let people know it may take 3 to 4 business days to respond (auto-reply to a sales/service account). See if there is a way to have a person that can sort the basic questions out and respond so you can handle the technical things that are left.

- Maybe take the Grizzly tack and tell folks things are 4 to 5 months back-ordered and give yourself some room to breathe. Then if the order gets there in 90 days they are happy vs. having called you 5 times to check status. I know we all rolled our eyes at the Grizzly 'estimates' but in the end people knew to quit asking every other day too.

- Hire some folks to handle that communication and follow-up, even if part time. I called a few times and never got a call back and had to keep after it to get an answer which really did not require knowledge of the machine. A communication black-hole will tick people off in no time. They are left to decide for themselves why you don't get back to them and they will generally assume the worst. I hear you on the difficulty there but without it you'll keep seeing these kind of threads.

You guys are one of the few places importing a nice line-up of these machines and I hope that you do remain in the business of doing so and can adapt to the higher volume of higher-maintenance new guys.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Page 1 of 2 12