586,075 active members*
4,142 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Adding a mass/weight value to a model

Question Adding a mass/weight value to a model

Is it possibly to add a mass/weight value to a model?

We use a lot of 3rd party products, that I download from company sites(where available), in assemblies.
    Sometime I even just build a block to represent an item. The looks and materials are not important but the weight is as most times I have to keep the whole assembly within a specified weight. On 2 occasions I also needed the centre of gravity to show a client his ideas were not ideal.

Any ideas?

C

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking to do when you say "Add weight/mass information to the model"

If you mean that you want to "pull" the information, you can go to Tools > Mass Properties. Be sure to set the density to the density of the material that the part is made out of.

If you want to add it in as a property, you go to File > Properties and navigate to the "Custom" tab where you can add any number of properties.

If you want to have a "sensor" that alerts you when your model is out of your tolerance values for either Mass or Center of Mass, you set up a "sensor" by right clicking on the "sensor" folder in your feature tree. If you don't see that folder, you right click in your feature tree and navigate to Hidden Tree Items > Hide/Show Tree Items and "Show" the sensor item.

You can make a macro that gather's the Center of Mass info and adds a point to the model in the location of the Center of Mass every time the model Rebuilds (or every time it is initiated). You can also make the same macro display a dialog of the mass info.
    mechengineer
    http://EdenCAD.com

Thanks Mecheng.

I did find what i want
    Mass properties- Check box "Assigned Mass Properties"
    Stick the motor on a scale and type in the value!
    Too easy

And yes adding the sensor would make life much easier. Never done it, so I will have to play.
    And to be honest, until now I have never needed to use a macro. So I know not how! Some more playing needed

Thanks for the help

C