586,469 active members*
2,990 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > Edgecam 2011 - What autoCAD file can i import?

Red face Edgecam 2011 - What autoCAD file can i import?

Hello.

I have tried to import several of AutoCAD files, but nothing is coming on my screen. No errors or something like that.

What filetype does EdgeCAM prefer?

And how should I draw the model?

Thanks, Robert.
    My second homebuilt cnc machine cnczone.com/forums/norwegian_club_house/123977-ombygget_cnc_-_gecko_540_a.html

EXPORT autocad as ACIS file. Works well for 3D models. No good for 2D.
    Edgecam should handle OK.

If importing to ACAD ensure ACIS save version option is not above 6 or 6.5. ACAD doesn't like big version numbers.

I've seen Solidworks try to export version 17.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

edge cam

I programed in Edgecam for several years but I never had to import an Autocad file 2 pieces of advice call your reseller, who ever your salesman is should be able to help they always helped me.2nd Yahoo has a user group for Edgecam join it, it is free and there are a couple of thousand programers that will help you out.
    Best of luck
    Chuck

Thanks Chuck. I Will do both.

Neilw20, where do i change the ACIS?, i really don`t know what it is

Greetings from Robert.
    My second homebuilt cnc machine cnczone.com/forums/norwegian_club_house/123977-ombygget_cnc_-_gecko_540_a.html

You ned V9.0 license for (ACIS).SAT files
    Have a close read of the help files. That's where you are most likely to find it.
    In the open/save file dialogue try selecting file types that Autocad recognizes. .DWG,.DXF,.SAT, .IGES?
    In Solidworks, at the save/export option, there are settings you need to change to select version 6 format. Not sure where EdgeCAM hides them.
    Might be fixed too.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

I Callet Jærtek in norway, and they told me to use .STP , but AutoCAD does not have this filetype.

And when i called CadQ in Trondheim/Norway, they told me that i could export draving, not just save as

So i export the model to an .SAT file, and load it into EdgeCAM!

Wheeeeee

Thanks for the help!

Greetings from Robert.

:wave:
    Getting from EdgrCAM to Autocad is now the challenge, if you ever need to.
    I used it to got from Solidworks to Autocad. Same deal though.

Well done Robert:wee:!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegabond View Post
    Hello.

I have tried to import several of AutoCAD files, but nothing is coming on my screen. No errors or something like that.

What filetype does EdgeCAM prefer?

And how should I draw the model?

Thanks, Robert.
    Edgecam 2011 R2 supports up to and including Autocad 2010 DWG files. FYI - this information is available in the Installation Guide.

Yes, but EdgeCAM does not support dwg 3d models.... If i have a 3d model i need to export it out (File tab -----> export, and select .SAT file)

Flat drawing is no problem.

Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegabond View Post
    Yes, but EdgeCAM does not support dwg 3d models.... If i have a 3d model i need to export it out (File tab -----> export, and select .SAT file)

Flat drawing is no problem.

Robert.
    Contact your reseller about the option to load ACIS solids. This will enable you to open the SAT solids. If you haven't had solids-focused Edgecam training recently, you should get that too. With training, you will be very pleased with how much more easily toolpath is build using solids compared to typical wireframe geometry.