586,121 active members*
3,546 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > Quick change bits on wood routing machines?

Quick change bits on wood routing machines?

I've searched around a bit but haven't been able to find much on this topic.

Is there a quick change, low runout, tool-holding adapter out there for the Porter Cable type routers? What about for a low power spindle? (say under 3 horses)

I'm more interested in quick tool changes for a low power spindle, but do not have anywhere near the money it would take to set up an ATC.

I currently am without a hobby cnc machine, but thinking about getting back into the hobby. One of the things that annoyed me the most with the hobby was having to change bits 4 times for some of the signs I was cutting on my trusty Porter Cable router. That, and the noise. I figure a spindle would go a long way to cutting down on a lot of the noise. So I guess that I am also interested in a lower-priced yet high quality spindle that I could do very quick bit changes with;-)

Or am I asking for the world?

Thanks,
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by DennisToledo View Post
    I've searched around a bit but haven't been able to find much on this topic.

Is there a quick change, low runout, tool-holding adapter out there for the Porter Cable type routers? What about for a low power spindle? (say under 3 horses)

I'm more interested in quick tool changes for a low power spindle, but do not have anywhere near the money it would take to set up an ATC.

I currently am without a hobby cnc machine, but thinking about getting back into the hobby. One of the things that annoyed me the most with the hobby was having to change bits 4 times for some of the signs I was cutting on my trusty Porter Cable router. That, and the noise. I figure a spindle would go a long way to cutting down on a lot of the noise. So I guess that I am also interested in a lower-priced yet high quality spindle that I could do very quick bit changes with;-)

Or am I asking for the world?

Thanks,
    Dennis
    just a comment on reducing the noise on your pc router, look at the superpid at www.SuperPID.com - Super-PID Closed-loop Router Speed Controller also there's a thread on here all about it, but I seem to have misplaced the bookmark.

John

ps found it, http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...ter_speed.html

I would love to have a quick change system that I could use ER16 collets on. Most of my stuff has 3 tools per job.
    Necessity is the mother of all invention (unknown)
    My club home page www.lhmac.org

i was using a router speed control from woodcraft as well as their plug-in vacuum on/off controller to cut down that noise as well -- still overall A LOT of noise in a basement. everything bounces around down there;-)