586,117 active members*
3,471 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Looking for a better coolant?

Looking for a better coolant?

We have been turning and grooving a lot of exotic Stainless Steel, and have been blowing thru inserts left and right. We are using Lubeze Universal by ZEP right now and for everything else it seems to be working great. The material we are cutting is 2205 Duplex, Zeron 100 and a lot of 316 as well. Just wondering if anyone cuts this type of metal and has had success with a certain coolant? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Shawn

Zep, goodluck, worst expierience of my life. The smell was so bad, most of people had to throw away their clothes and you could smell the stench on the street come Monday morning. In a small sump it was mostly Ok, but over 50 gallons, it was unbearable. I also found out a nasty thing about Zep one of the compounds they use in their coolant when it comes in contact with on of the compounds used in almost any waylube ever made it creates a nasty carcinogen, good stuff. I would never buy a coolant from a janitorial supply house again, stick with a proven coolant. Zep is crap, if they sell a special additive to eliminate smell, its crap. If the company you bought it from sells floor wax, be very very scared.

We are using Blaser, good stuff. We went from the 2000 series to the 4000 series and saw a measurablle jump in tool life. Yeah, its a soluble, but if you maintain it, its not greasy. You really need to beat on this stuff to make it stink. One thing to remember a full synthetic has all the good stuff in it that a soluble does, except it allows all the good stuff you paid for to evaporate into the air, while a soluble will hold it in and only allow the water to evaporate.

Blaser is so far the best I have used too. I have only one machine that it ever developes a smell on and I believe that it is because the coolant tank never sees the light of day (bad design!) I have had to put a bubbler in that tank and problem solved.

Hey bubba what is the difference between the 4000 and the 2000 and is the price jump significant?

I currently use 2000.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

little bubba,
    I agree that blaser makes great oils, but talk about odor! If someone that uses blaser says that a different oil stinks then it must be terrible! I used Blasocut 4000 Strong http://www.blaser.com/index.cfm?type=land
    and it worked flawless, but it was hard to mix, ran us out of the shop, and grew the worst bacteria. A friend that owed a another shop in town had me try Kleen-Kool 777.
    http://www.doallsawing.com/cutting_f...?mod_sku=KK777
    I havent looked back since, I even have it in the saws. No maintenance no odor easy to mix.
    Gary

Coolant

We use Rustlick WS-11. We get it from MSC. Works great, no smell.We cut exotics,(inconel,monel,stellite) with no problem. Scott

The difference between the 2000 and the 4000 is 3% chlorine and 6%chlorine.
    It seems to make a difference in tool life, and its like $2.00 more a gallon. So about an extra hundred for a drum.

hello
    as i read that u have been machining zeron 100
    i hav a lot of problem for boring operation
    can u help me out in this
    dia to be machined 28mm
    pre machind dia 25mm
    depth for boring operation 100mm
    tool used sclcl 20 shank
    coolant flooded
    problem
    rapid insert wear
    bore chatter
    parameter rpm 500 doc 0.5 diametrically feed 0.1 to 0.15
    hav tried with hig rpm aand doc also but insert blows out
    Kindly sugest a way out its urgent
    rgds
    Girish

A lot of shops have luck with Hangsterfer's

http://www.hangsterfers.com/
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

If you're "wearing out inserts left and right", it may be helpful to get a more effective coolant, but I'd look at carbide too.

ValCool VP-Tech is an excellent and affordable all-around semi-synthetic coolant with the EP additives you need for stainless and high-temp alloys.

As for carbide, what operations do you do? Depth of cut, speed and feedrates? I can help with getting good carbide, as I've done a lot of 316 and Duplex. Sorry, but I don't know much about the Zeron. Yet.

Zeron 100 is def a little tricky. Not familiar with the bar you are stating but here is what we use.
    We always rough with an insert with a .030 radius and finish with an .015 insert. RPM is usually around 300-350. DOC on rough is about what you are running .020" but we usually leave a .005 for a finish cut. Feed has varied from .001 to .003 .We also use a carbide bore bar for rigidity. I hope this helps you.

Also we have found an awesome coolant since i posted this we are using Hocut 795-B. Stuff is awesome. No more odor and we often only have to add water from evaporation so we are saving a great amount on coolant cost these days.
    Thanks to all for your suggestions.
    Shawn