586,094 active members*
3,747 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Can you really engrave with the PCNC 770 mill?

Can you really engrave with the PCNC 770 mill?

I am very close to buying the PCNC 770 and I also want to do some engraving in between jobs. I assume you all saw this video online with the 770 engraving.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGY6vC6JVUA&feature=results_video&playnext =1&list=PL7B29F33D0B5E5A98]Tormach PCNC 770: Engraving - YouTube[/ame]

I see that the 770 is better than the 1100 for engraving because of its speed. Do you think it will be adequate to engrave medals and plaques? I see those attachments they are selling for engraving linked below.

High Speed Spindle

Has anyone tried engraving with the stock 770?

The machine is basically for cnc machining but I have invested a great deal in medals and would like to pop out what I need in between jobs to stop myself from ordering out for them as I have done over the past 10 years, thanks...

Engraving is one of the easiest things to do with a CNC. The cutting forces are almost nonexistent, so even the poorest of machines can do it.

High spindle speed is good because it makes the job go faster. That said, you can engrave on machines with 4000, 2000 or 1000 RPM spindles. It just takes that much longer.

The 770 or 1100 are both more than enough machine to engrave. If you start doing a lot of engraving, you may want to get a second high speed spindle to decrease your cycle time. But for the occasional engraving, you'll be just fine with the 770's regular spindle.

Frederic

Quote Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
    Engraving is one of the easiest things to do with a CNC. The cutting forces are almost nonexistent, so even the poorest of machines can do it.

High spindle speed is good because it makes the job go faster. That said, you can engrave on machines with 4000, 2000 or 1000 RPM spindles. It just takes that much longer.

The 770 or 1100 are both more than enough machine to engrave. If you start doing a lot of engraving, you may want to get a second high speed spindle to decrease your cycle time. But for the occasional engraving, you'll be just fine with the 770's regular spindle.

Frederic

Thanks for the quick response, I will spend that extra money on tooling...

Depending on the type of jobs you will do, you should consider diamond drag engraving. It leaves very fine line and you can engrave very fast since it does not require any rotation of the spindle. The diamond just scratches the surface. I love it and do most of my engraving this way.

Ive done a ton of engraving with my PCNC1100. The 770 will do an excellent job... You will be amazed on how precise and small you can engrave!

David

Isn't reproducing medals a 3D milling process not an engaving one.

Phil

I read his original post to mean,"I want to take existing medals and plaques and add engraving to them."

But either way, the 770 should be adequate for the job.

Frederic

My mistake

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
    I read his original post to mean,"I want to take existing medals and plaques and add engraving to them."

But either way, the 770 should be adequate for the job.

Frederic