586,553 active members*
3,389 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > General Off Topic Discussions > Hafco HM-50 Mill, Hafco AL 960-B Lathe Melbourne

Smile Hafco HM-50 Mill, Hafco AL 960-B Lathe Melbourne

After hunting around the auctions, I have managed to pick myself up a 240V Hafco Metal Master HM-50 milling machine for $2500.00. My plan is to first learn some basics before I convert it to a CNC.

The Mill also came with a 4" 3 jaw chuck, two sets (metric/imperial) of slot cutters and end mills, large set of clamps, a face mill, 8" rotary vice and mill vice, drill chuck with collets (cheap one I have been informed) and 3 other arbors + a few other bits.

and a 240V Hafco Metal Master AL 960-B digital lathe. Larger than I was looking for, but with the near new condition and again for $2500.00, I would have been a fool not to get it. Very happy with the purchase.

The lathe came with 3 and 4 jaw 6" (I think) chucks, some arbors, two center guides, and a few cutting tools. There was also a small all steel bench with a 6" vice mounted on it, I cut the legs down on it today and added some large rubber caster wheels to it today.

To get both machine's home, I also purchased a large all steel tandem trailer that was also at the auction. The trailer came with steel ramps and a large frame for supporting glass or alloy door/window frames. I currently have the Mill and trailer still stored at a friends place, but once the mill comes off (probably a couple of weeks time), I will put the trailer up for sale again if anyone is interested.

I come from Rye on the Mornington Peninsula and am looking for the following if anyone can help;

(1) Tafe or similar course suitable for a beginner, needs to be on or close to, the Mornington Peninsula.

(2)Any hobby machinists on the Mornington Peninsula that are interested in meeting.

I have also just purchased an electric kiln so I can try my hand at casting alloy possibly bronze. Again, interested in meeting anyone down this way for some advise or to just meet.

Cheers
    Eddie

Hi Eddie

Looks like you have a couple of good machines ,, I am in carrum downs and have converted a mill to cnc using mach 3 for making edm electrodes ,You can drop around just send me a pm and i will send the details,, I am happy to run through a few things with you

Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by bjay View Post
    Hi Eddie

Looks like you have a couple of good machines ,, I am in carrum downs and have converted a mill to cnc using mach 3 for making edm electrodes ,You can drop around just send me a pm and i will send the details,, I am happy to run through a few things with you

Bernie
    G'day Bernie and thanks for the reply, I will definitely send you a PM. I know very little about machining full stop and EDM has had me wondering just how it works. I saw your other post, looking for a machine for EDM, only saw a couple of machines marked as edm, go in a recent auction. I will keep my eyes open for you (would help if I actually new just what you are after).

What type of machine did you convert and are using now?

looks like 2 very nice machines..
    if you don't mind sharing, what auctions did you pick em up at?
    http://mickgalt.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by djmickyg View Post
    looks like 2 very nice machines..
    if you don't mind sharing, what auctions did you pick em up at?
    G'day dj and no I do not mind.

I found the machines through Slattery Auctions

Hi
    I also have a HM50 mill and want to convert it to cnc, do you have any information and pictures of your conversion that may help me, I am interested in the z axis, did you do the quill or the knee.
    I am in Geelong

Thank you
    Michael

Re: Hafco HM-50 Mill, Hafco AL 960-B Lathe Melbourne

i have just purchased a used hm50 which has a partial cnc conversion, and am currently sorting it out .. i want to change the screw to ball types, has anyone completed this and can they help me with size of x and y screws and best location to buy them from

Thanks David
    complete newbe

Quote Originally Posted by ekdave View Post
    i have just purchased a used hm50 which has a partial cnc conversion, and am currently sorting it out .. i want to change the screw to ball types, has anyone completed this and can they help me with size of x and y screws and best location to buy them from

Thanks David
    complete newbe
    you could try here CNC Shop, One Stop Shop for CNC Products! i have dealt with them a few years ago and the were helpful

they are in melbourne

hi thanks, gave em a call , not a lot in stock atm , and didnt have any specs on the hm50

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2F4225FE-DDD2-4C26-8BA6-0BA60CE1FE07.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	394576

ok thanks this came with 3x steppers are nmea 54 closed loop with ratio reducers one the Z was us .. controller faulty as was motor so replaced it with a smaller unit HSS86 Hybrid Driver Servo Stepper Motor 4.5N.m+Closed Loop Motor,
    not sure if the 10-1 reduction boxes offer any better performance was told they made it more accurate ?