586,058 active members*
4,691 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Who has the smallest workshop
Page 3 of 4 1234
    Anyone else have a small workshop?
    Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

My shop is 30'x40' with two 8'x10' overhead doors, but space is at a premium right now. My 68 Chevy C10 hot rod project is on one side, pushed as far into corner as possible. Other than shelves, shop tools include the 4'x8' CNC plasma table I am building right now, mid-sized knee mill, sand blasting cabinet, a couple of drill presses, small bench top lathe, three tool boxes, band saw, chop saw, parts washer, throatless shear, ring roller, english wheel, beater bag cart, shrinker/stretcher, oven (for powder coating), H-press, welding table, Miller MIG, TIG, and a Econo-Pak 50 plasma cutter on a cart. Oh, and the beer fridge!!

It feels small.... I keep telling mama I want to add on, but all I get is :nono:

tight one car garage

my shop is in a one car garage packed full of equipment,hass tm1 with tool changer,bridgeport,6x12 surface grinder,10x14 wet grinder,x2 mini mill cnc
    edm machine,work bench,large surface plate,i have to put my tools away to sweep the floor or they might get knocked on the floor
    amazing what you can fit in these little shops

steve

my new kitchen appliance should be here any day now.... heehehhe!

j9k

I have use of a 12 x 18 room in my dad's garage, with a bench lathe, mini mill, and band saw in there, but I also get one of the bays out in the main garage... pretty cluttered.
    got pics here...
    http://www.thecornershoponline.com/index.html

I have a small room here (probably about 7' by 12-14') that houses a workbench, tool chest, 3 rolling plastic carts, drill press, 1 bench grinder and tons of boxes (I build PCs in that room). The room right next to it houses the wood lathe (never used by use) and router table (never used) and my dads bench grinder (I hated his so I bought my own). In the garage between the two cars is the compressor, table saw (a piece of crap now), miter saw, and band saw, and on the back wall by the stairs upstairs is a radial arm saw.

Then my uncles shop (at work) its basically an asile. (like this | |) the left holds 2 storage racks with his mill at the end and the right holds the lathe from the early 1950s.

Like everyone else, my space at home is completly crowded, just getting to my back work room is a pain in the butt. Getting to the wood lathe right now would be impossible without spending an hour moving things out of the way

i can say now that my work shop is now longer small,just bought 3000 sq ft building to move into finally out of the garage,ill post some picks soon,not sure where to post them,here or start a new thread but will figure it out

Well I started this thread on 10-05-2005, and I was hoping to have a workshop way before now but never went through with it and had one built. The Saturday before last I finely bought one. Its a 12' by 20' building. Which certainly meets the sizes limits to be considered a small workshop. I would like to have bought one bigger but due to our budget and the fact that we put it on a small portion of our land that would not have held one much bigger, A larger workshop was just out of the question right now. They finely came and started on it this past Monday. They dug the footings and poured concrete on Monday, Framed up the floor and Walls Tuesday and framed the rafters and finished up the wall framing today (Wednesday). I am very pleased with the way it is turning out so far. I have included some photos of what it looks like right now. I will try to post some updates as it progresses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_9943-smaller.jpg   100_9948-smaller.jpg  
    Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Well, here's my shop. It is 10.5' x 11.5' and definately qualifies as a small shop. It started out as my woodworking shop, but is now going to be doing double-duty as woodworking/metalworking shop. I did all the work myself on changing this from a little addon on the side of the garage which was nothing but concrete block to what you see in the pics. Oh, i've also included a few before pics so you can see what I had to work with. Eheehheh

I'm still thrilled!

Wade
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP1807.JPG   IMGP1808.JPG   IMGP1809.JPG   IMGP1810.JPG  

IMGP1811.JPG   IMGP1706.JPG   IMGP1707.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by wwendorf View Post
    Well, here's my shop. It is 10.5' x 11.5' and definately qualifies as a small shop. It started out as my woodworking shop, but is now going to be doing double-duty as woodworking/metalworking shop. I did all the work myself on changing this from a little addon on the side of the garage which was nothing but concrete block to what you see in the pics. Oh, i've also included a few before pics so you can see what I had to work with. Eheehheh

I'm still thrilled!

Wade

Thats a great job. What materials did you use on your walls and ceiling? Thanks- Rob
    Robbie

Well, the walls were studded out with 2x4's and bolted and nailgunned to the walls and floors. Then I insulated and sheetrocked all the walls. A friend taught me how to mud and sand (sanding SUCKS) and the results were really great. Then I just painted it basic white for plenty of light when working on stuff.

I also bought a foam backed vinyl for the floor. It's only about 1/8" thick, but it really makes a difference when standing for hours in the shop. My legs don't get sore and my neither do my feet. If I stand directly on concrete for a while, my legs and feet start aching.

The ceiling looks like a drop ceiling, but in reality it is screwed directly to the rafters. It's quite easy to install and the entire ceiling only cost me around $180 with the tracking system to hold it up.

I use electric for my heating. I use a heater called a SunCloud heater (www.suncloud.com) and in the dead of winter (sub zero temps -20 and below) it cost me about $75 a month. If the temps are above that, like 30's to 40's, it was costing about $35-40 a month. Those a just guestimates because I didn't have the computerized thermostat installed yet and I didn't get the shop done till late november. The reason I settled on electric was because by using electric I didn't have to worry about combustion with all the wood dust in the air.

Wade

Quote Originally Posted by wwendorf View Post
    Well, the walls were studded out with 2x4's and bolted and nailgunned to the walls and floors. Then I insulated and sheetrocked all the walls. A friend taught me how to mud and sand (sanding SUCKS) and the results were really great. Then I just painted it basic white for plenty of light when working on stuff.

I also bought a foam backed vinyl for the floor. It's only about 1/8" thick, but it really makes a difference when standing for hours in the shop. My legs don't get sore and my neither do my feet. If I stand directly on concrete for a while, my legs and feet start aching.

The ceiling looks like a drop ceiling, but in reality it is screwed directly to the rafters. It's quite easy to install and the entire ceiling only cost me around $180 with the tracking system to hold it up.

I use electric for my heating. I use a heater called a SunCloud heater (www.suncloud.com) and in the dead of winter (sub zero temps -20 and below) it cost me about $75 a month. If the temps are above that, like 30's to 40's, it was costing about $35-40 a month. Those a just guestimates because I didn't have the computerized thermostat installed yet and I didn't get the shop done till late november. The reason I settled on electric was because by using electric I didn't have to worry about combustion with all the wood dust in the air.

Wade

Thanks for the detailed explanation Wade.
    Robbie

Here are a couple more pics of the progress on my building.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_9985-smaller.jpg   100_9986-smaller.jpg  
    Robbie

Hey Rob,

They have Prefab Sheds like your available at www.costco.com. Some are insulated, have windows, skylights, and provisions for power outlets.

Your looks like it will be a nice work shop to get away from it all LOL.

I was considering one of these until we moved. Now I have to wait again, LOL.

Sorry the link was too big. look under Outdoor Structures

Here is a pic of a 14 x 24 Garage, NICE!!!!!:rainfro: Price $7,499.99

Cheers!!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 141313.jpg  
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

They made a little more progress today. They were only able to work about 4 hours today, so they did not get too much finished. Im hoping they will have it finished by tomorrow or the next day at least.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_9989-smaller.JPG   100_9999-smaller.jpg  
    Robbie

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    Hey Rob,

They have Prefab Sheds like your available at www.costco.com. Some are insulated, have windows, skylights, and provisions for power outlets.

Your looks like it will be a nice work shop to get away from it all LOL.

I was considering one of these until we moved. Now I have to wait again, LOL.

Sorry the link was too big. look under Outdoor Structures

Here is a pic of a 14 x 24 Garage, NICE!!!!!:rainfro: Price $7,499.99

Cheers!!!!!!!

14 x 24 would be an awsome size for a workshop. There was a place around here that builds utility buildings; that we almost bought our 12' x 20' from. They had a 14' x 24' on display there and I fell in love with it. It looked simular to the one in your photo. Maybe one day.
    Robbie

They should be finished with the building tomorrow. All they need to do now is put up one or two more pieces of vinyl on the front and do the trim under the overhang. And also a few other various tasks. Here are some pics of todays progress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 101_0018-smaller.jpg   101_0033-smaller.jpg  
    Robbie

Started out with a 8' x 10' portable building. Moved, and now I 've got a 12' x12'. I don't hardly know what to do with all the space! lol!!

10" Logan
    Zay. benchtop mill
    Generator
    Welding machine and cutting rig
    Table saw
    Band saw
    Bench grinder
    2 ton arbor press
    Numerous tool boxes
    Conner's Beam engine, caboose, gondola, and two caboose's
    10' long Garret/Climax live steamer I'm building
    About a van load of G scale trains
    And,, a buch of frogs, lizards, and,,,,,,, several rats.

LOL, Everyone tells me to get a Hobby. I tell them that I have one and that being a Machinist is a 24/7 thing.

I see you guys are taking it to an extreme LOL.

Personally I would like an Enshu VMC 650 and a Nakamura-Tome Multi-Tasking Lathe in the living room but the little woman might not like that.

You guys have nice work shops. My only question is, how can you afford it LOL??

Cheers!!!!!!
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

They finished the building today. Now its my turn to do the work. I just have to underpin and build a ramp on the outside and I have a lot of work to do to get the inside ready.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 101_0047-smaller.jpg   101_0054-small.jpg  
    Robbie

Page 3 of 4 1234