586,106 active members*
3,303 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Telescoping leadscrew cover?

I noticed on a CNC mill today that there was a telescoping cover to protect the leadscrews. THe concept is great. Do these things have a name? I would like some more information

Take a look at Gortite... http://www.gortite.com/metaltelescopic.htm

Not cheap, I'm sure.

Carlo

probably not cheap at all. i dont htink i would need metal though if i put these type things on my mill. Maybe i will fabricate something

Some time ago (a few months???) there was a thread on the zone about a gentleman who built his own. As I remember, he used a "slinky" and made a cloth covering for it. It appeared to be a good idea.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

check out replacement automotive rack & pinion steering rubber rack boots.they are shaped for round shafts and can be found with fairly long travel.I have seen them in the J. C. Whitney catalog and I'm sure you can find them online.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba
    Some time ago (a few months???) there was a thread on the zone about a gentleman who built his own. As I remember, he used a "slinky" and made a cloth covering for it. It appeared to be a good idea.

Yup - good memory, Bubba. It was a slinky covered with a nylon stocking. I can't locate that darn thread, though.... (chair)

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.