586,103 active members*
3,420 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hyundai Kia > HiT 18S Tail stock settings

HiT 18S Tail stock settings

I am finally at a point where I am running with the tail stock. However, the tail body creeps back and when it comes off it's limit, it kills the pressure to the spindle and the machine just keeps cutting as the center slowly backs out.
    The tail body is positioned by a hydraulic motor and chain. I don't know what clamps it.
    There is a toggle switch inside the door of the back cabinet that is labeled "Tailbody" clamp and unclamp. It is on "clamp" where should it be for machining?
    The two selector switches in the front are to the left when the program starts. Where should they be? In the middle?
    Please help!
    Regards, Ray
    ​"There is no such thing as a gun free zone."
    Ray Brandes, Ray-Vin.Com, PCB, FL 32408 USA

I run my HIT-18S with the switch in the back set to CLAMP and the two front switches in the center position. Maybe back off on your tail thrust? I run mine as low as possible, but if you set it too low the tail does not extend fast enough and you get errors.

BNR Randy,
    Come to find out the tail stock clamps are frozen in the un-locked position. For now I have been backing up the stock with a clamp on the ways. An impact wrench on the screws won't budge the pistons.
    If I ever get it working, I will add M11 M31 etc to my warm up program just to keep it exercised.
    Regadrs, Ray

How do you get to the clamps? Maybe I should look at mine. My tail seems to work, I've used it a few times, but learning how to make it go was a challenge. I went through the entire list of programs that came in my machine when I got it used and not a one had the M31 M11 in it.

Randy,
    The clamps are under the cover of the tail stock. There are two cylinders on mine From the parts list there is a piston with a hex head bolt that goes through a bottom cylinder cap and threads into the clamp. Turning the hex head adjusts the clamp. To be sure mine were frozen and it wasn't a hydraulic valve, I cracked the hydro line and found the clamps only have pressure when the right hand selector is in the center position.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tailstockpistons.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	197182
    I pulled the prox switches out to access the hex heads and they wouldn't budge using an impact wrench.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tailstockswitches.JPG