586,077 active members*
3,599 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Are these motors suitible for the tb6560 driver boards

Are these motors suitible for the tb6560 driver boards

SHINANO KENSHI STEPPER MOTOR

I have a 4 axis blue board (I know they are problematic, hence the the cheap motors ) and Im wanting to make a belt driven cnc plotter for messing around this winter. This is more of a tinkering project then anything, I already have a 2x4' cnc router to do my important work. Will these motors work ok with the chinese blue board, assuming I can get the board to work?

They are not a good match for that driver board because they have a low current rating (of 0.8A) and a high inductance (of 9.7 mH).

Having said that, you can probably get them to work after a fashion. You might do well to modify the board (by either replacing or paralleling the current setting resistors with the proper resistor values) to reduce the current setting of the drivers to match the motor rating. You might also consider hooking up the motors by using half windings instead of the full windings (for a reduced winding inductance).

The motors do not have a whole lot of torque, but it sounds like your plotter application may not need a high torque to work properly.

that figures, what sort of inductance should I be looking for? Normally Ive just bought motors from cnc places but Im trying to keep the cost of this build really low as its just for the experiments I dont want to sacrifice my real machine for haha.

A winding inductance of close to 1 mH (in either direction) should be a better match to that board. IIRC, the TB6560AHQ has a maximum voltage rating of 40 volts, and most people use power supplies of less than 35 volts with that board (in fact, many people power them with 24 volt supplies or even lower).

If you find motors with a winding inductance close to 2.5 mH, then you can use them with a better driver (such as a G540) with a 48 volt supply sometime in the future after you burn out the TB6560 drivers.

:-)

LiniStepper drivers will run those motors. You can get 3 axis for around $100.00 ( maybe its four I cant remember). Ofcourse you have to build the drivers but they come with board, all parts, very good documentation, plus a ton of user feedback on how to use them.

Thats whats great about the Linisteppper is its a very smooth running driver and it was designed to work with these cheaper steppers. You dont get a fast machine but you do get a very stable machine with good accuracy.

PIC Linear Stepper Motor Controller

These drives are easy to repair if you do something wrong when hooking them up. I just looked and its $90.00 for 3 axis so thats pretty cheap.

Now those steppers you listed will be strong at slow speeds and not want to run fast. If they where six wire you can hook them up with only 4 wires and help this if more speed is needed. But chances are with a machine like you described you will be fine with the speed.

James ( the one that sales these) is good about helping if needed. For what they are I dont think anyone has had much bad to say about these drivers. If they fit the need its hard to beat them.

Jess
    GOD Bless, and prayers for all.

Wow... this was on my "todo" list to come and post a note about at least searching CNCZone to see all the other people who are having problems with that driver, and suggesting you might want to use a quality unit like a Gecko or a Linistepper and I find someone else has already done that. Thanks Jess and doorknob. It's good to know there are other people out there who are giving good advice.

But, it sounds like the OP is married to the drive he already wasted money on, so I'll not waste more time here.

Best wishes!

Now really, do you not think I did a search on all the problems with it? Or that i didnt do a search on that motor model it self? Of course I did. But I didnt come up with anything on the motors and I was curious if the motors themselves would be a good match, thats all. Not the problems with the driver, or what drivers would be a better choice. Ive already built two machines with better drivers. this was just going to be a fun project for little money. Im not married to anything, I just had a question. That's what forums are for.

BTW Lucky13, Thanks for the info on Linistepper. I hadnt seen these before. Up until now Ive been using Probotix drivers and have been very happy with them but was looking for a less expensive option. They may be the direction I head

Sorry if I offended, that wasn't my intention. I've just been dealing with a lot of people who buy those drivers and then blame everyone else for the problems they have.

If you want to build a TOTAL system that costs less, those cheap crap drivers from China are actually a false economy. They won't work well with the sort of motors that you can get for less by searching through used equipment or NOS or other sources of low cost motors. A higher quality driver made to work with lower cost motors will result in a lower overall system price.

I actually maintain a list of stepper motors that will work well with the Linistepper and are low cost, or in some cases no cost (pulled from old office equipment, printers, etc...) at:
    techref.massmind.org/techref/io/stepper/linistep/motors.htm

Let me know if I can do anything else to help... In fact, I'll make you an offer: If you buy those motors you are looking at, and also buy a Linistepper, then hook the motors up to the TB6560 junk as well as to the Linistepper, and document (max speed, holding torque, missed steps, etc...) how each driver works for you (good or bad for me, either way) I'll refund the price of the Linistepper. How's that for low cost? A source of free motors, and a free driver, in return for your time scrounging local office equipment repair places and documenting your efforts.

I may take you up on that James. Well see how this project pans out.

I do understand where you are coming from though. I deal with the same types of issues all the time just in a different world from cnc. Its hard to watch people struggle with something your passionate about when you know you could make it so easy for them if they would just listen you I get it, I just hate when people get fired up on forums and drive away people that are eager to learn and just dont know any better.

I was looking at your website early, and you have a ton of great documentation btw. Im going to be doing some reading tonight.