586,115 active members*
3,391 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unique CNC form, what is it?

I ran across a Metronics Technology pastry cutter. Check out the [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOOtx4T7OcA]video here on YouTube.[/ame]

Is there a name for the two timing belt/trapped ring style CNC machine?

Thanks,

Stan

I used to work for a company that built specialized machines such as this. We never referred to them as CNC machines though. We did use CNC's to build them.

I'm sure the math involved with calculating the trajectory paths must be fun!
    Shaun
    my x2 conversion ------> http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36403

Quote Originally Posted by skmetal7 View Post
    I'm sure the math involved with calculating the trajectory paths must be fun!
    That's where I was going with this thread. How does one describe the kinematics of this system?

Stan

It looks like some kind of double Polar Coordinate system.
    Shaun
    my x2 conversion ------> http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36403

First thing that runs through my mind is:
    -Why do you build a machine like this?
    -Because I can!

It's like a French car. Really complex with no reason.

Took me a while to think of it, but this is just 2 axis cutting with rotary axis substitution for one of the axis.

It is early and this is just off the top of my head, but for a moving table design, doesn't this buy you a little smaller foot print for cutting a part of the same size compared to a linear moving table design?

If you have a moving table designed to move in the x and y axes and cut 24" parts, you pretty much need a foot print of 48" in both the x and y direction.

Using this design, to cut 24" parts you need 48" of travel in the x, but the table only needs a circumference of 34".

Quote Originally Posted by Dman65 View Post
    It is early and this is just off the top of my head, but for a moving table design, doesn't this buy you a little smaller foot print for cutting a part of the same size compared to a linear moving table design?

If you have a moving table designed to move in the x and y axes and cut 24" parts, you pretty much need a foot print of 48" in both the x and y direction.

Using this design, to cut 24" parts you need 48" of travel in the x, but the table only needs a circumference of 34".
    if you pay attention at 2:53 in the movie, to cut a full length line, the cake is rotated 180 degree in the middle of the line.
    So it seems to me that to cut 24" line, the table needs a lot less than 48".

but I agree with the feeling that it was build with the principle "Yes, we can!"

I admit I didn't watch the entire video. But thinking about it, the spinning 180 degrees would make sense. in that case you only need about a 36"x34" footprint to have a moving table design to cut 24"x24". That is some good outside the box (or rectangle) design work to save what could be some important space. Going from a 16 square feet space to 8.5 square feet is pretty significant and it is done without the cutting device having to move at all so engineering a way to move the water supply line, etc. is not needed.

It makes total sense once someone else has done it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dman65 View Post
    I admit I didn't watch the entire video. But thinking about it, the spinning 180 degrees would make sense. in that case you only need about a 36"x34" footprint to have a moving table design to cut 24"x24". That is some good outside the box (or rectangle) design work to save what could be some important space. Going from a 16 square feet space to 8.5 square feet is pretty significant and it is done without the cutting device having to move at all so engineering a way to move the water supply line, etc. is not needed.

It makes total sense once someone else has done it lol.
    ...which could easily be even smaller with a robot arm or a tiny moving gantry (specially the top mounted model).

This is food industry equipment, which needs to be easily sanitized. That puts interesting constraints on designs...

well, very good for cutting cakes

The design is very new to me and as a friend already said, it will be fun to write the g codes for it and see how it works (i bet i will create some country maps rather than some squares or rectangular pastries).

However, i don't see any future of this design in wood routers or metal mills.
    the debris and the gear/belt aren't going to perform better than ballscrews and lm guides. But i admire the solution they found to get less footprint. For laser cutters, plasmas and water jets, it may be just a beginning of compact machines.

jasminder singh
    It is better to die for something than to live for nothing.

Yumm! Soggey cake!