586,626 active members*
2,473 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Weldment issues

I am trying to model a length of pipe from a 3Dsketch with many line segments. The whole 3D Sketch is very long (upwards of 3000 ft.) It has a series of bends and minor changes in angle periodically. I made a custom circular library part for use as a profile.

Using the structural member tool I can generate up to 11-13 segments max(~1600 ft), and then it does not allow me to select any additional groups from the line.

The picture below shows where I cannot select any more lines for the structural member command. What is to blame here? Did I do something wrong? Or is this a limitation of solidworks?

I'd love any suggestions, or alternative solutions!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pipe.JPG  
    Would the stars shine if nobody were there to observe them?

Are you unable to add additional groups? Are all of your segments in a single group, or do you already have multiple groups?

Do you actually want the hard corners in your model, or would you prefer a single fluid line?

I was unable to add any additional groups, it simply would not let me select any beyond the first 11-13 segments. Hard corner segments would be preferable, but if nothing else a fluid line would suffice.

just tried it myself. the only problem i had was where the line meets a bend. just make it till there, then go again from a line. later you can add manually where the bends are. i had 30+ lines on sw 2010 so i think it's not a quantity issue

damir_cro, thank you for looking into this. Part of my issue is my point cloud data has dirty info. (ie: 0 length line segments.)

I ended up writing a macro to do weldments in a series of 12 segments at a time. This resolved my issue. I guess this sort of circumnavigates the bend issue.