586,089 active members*
3,870 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mazatrol T-Plus RS-232 communication

I am trying to send programs files to a Mazatrol T-Plus. I can download from the machine with a variety of different software packages but no success loading them back to the Mazatrol.
    Have tried many different cable configurations, combinations of baud, parity, stop bits, etc. Nothing working.
    Also have a Mazatrol M-Plus on a different machine - no problem communicating both ways.
    Anyone have ideas for me? Are these two Mazatrols very different from each other?
    Anyone know if you can expand the memory on these units?

Try this
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Thanks for the information, however, this does not work for me.

The layout of parameters in "User Parameter No 5" on the .pdf file does not match the layout of my machine. Fields 1,2,3, and 5 are the same but the remaining fields do not match.
    .pdf file my mazatrol T-Plus
    G1 = 1(9600) Baud) I1 = Baud rate same
    G2 = 3(Stop Bits) I2 = Stop bits same
    G3 = 0 Parity Selection (Even) I3 = Parity selection same
    G5 = 3 Data Bit selection (8 data bits) I5 = Data bit selection same
    G6 = 1 EOB or EOR Terminator I6 = handshaking method different
    G10 = 3 Use DC code or handsh. I10 = EOB or EOR terminator different
    **all the rest are different**
    Any idea if the T-Plus memory layouts are not all the same??

Which I/O are you trying to communicate through? and what type of program? What alarms do you get when you're trying to load the machine? and if you're using CMT, this won't work unless you have a dnc system to communicate Mazatrol protocol.
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

I am connected physically to the RS-232 port and trying to load in "TAPE" mode. Program is "DNCMax". Error I get is "551 - SET THE NEW PAPER TAPE".

Thanks for your interest

Sorry... what I meant for program type is the actual machine program. Are you trying to transfer a Mazatrol program or an EIA program?

I generally see the 551 error for a few things: Pin connections not correct, broken wire at the RS-232 port, "%" sign not being used or sent properly and also for not using the "proper" sequence in sending a program (for ex: machine ready first or PC send command first).

Sorry - I misunderstood.

What 'program type' I am sending is a good question. I am new to the CNC program loading world. I hear terms like G-code, EIA, "Mazak", conversational, etc. and I don't yet understand exactly which is which.
    The programs I am working with were created on the machine. I have been able to pull them from the machine (in computer I/O mode), and from the software I can specify ".nc" or ".mzk" file type. Both will work and when I view the contents they look the same with the program I am using.
    And yes - there is a leading and trailing "%" and the second line I believe is the file name - i.e. O1234 = file 1234.
    I don't know if any of this helps determine the file type??

I have seen a couple of different versions of cable pinouts. I will continue to try them out. Most are similar using pins 2, 3, 5, and 7. The differences I have seen are mostly in "jumpers" - how many - and where they are connected.

Thanks again

If you can view them on a text editor of a PC and it looks the same as on the control, then its an EIA program (G-code type). But, if you're using computer I/O or Tape I/O and you're sending out a Mazatrol program, the machine will convert it to what's called a 3-digit G-code format (which is still similar in appearance to the "untrained eye"). This allows the use of a text editor with Mazatrol programs. Can you post some of the code of a program you're sendin/receiving? This will identify the program type.

Now, from what it sounds like, I think you should try using Tape I/O instead. Then, when you save the program, save it as ".nc". There's a different set of parameters for this but its right next to the Computer I/O ones. Match the parameters to the machine you have that does work with your communicator. If this still doesn't work, for sh!ts and giggles, try switching cables with the the machine that does work (and match the parameters). If it does work, then your cable or pin setting (cable side or I/O) is bad. If it still doesn't work, then odds are your I/O is bad at the machine end (broken wire, bad connections, wrong connections at either the port or the board, etc.). Keep in mind, these are only ideas on this from the info that is being discussed.

Another question,... are you using one output from the PC with one or several cables? or are you going thru a hub or channel box out to your machines? I've seen switch boxes (software and/or hardware) have bad I/O channels or improper settings as well.....

More info:
    I have maybe mis-stated one thing. Program does NOT look the same on CNC and software. I meant that program on software looks the same whether I receive it as an ".nc" file extension or a ".mzk" file extension. In both cases, however, it looks different than on the Mazak control. I can see and recognize most of the basic information - but it looks different.

I am using a notebook to connect and communicate to the machines. Direct from serial port to RS-232 on the CNC. I have been using the very same cable that is working on the Mazatrol M-Plus. When I first attempted to talk to the Mazatrol T-Plus I started with everything the same as M-Plus - software settings, machine settings, cable, etc.
    On the M-Plus where I am successfull, I receive files in "COMPUTER I/O" mode and send files back to the machine in "TAPE I/O" mode.
    So far I have been able to receive files from the T-Plus only in "COMPUTER I/O mode. I will try to receive it in "TAPE I/O".

I have attempted to add a word document attachment to this message showing a sample of one of the programs I have received in "COMPUTER I/O" mode from the T-Plus

Thanks again for your help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ok.... the program you're dealing with is a Mazatrol program. The output you have is in what's called "3-digit G-code" format. I think you have a different issue going on. There's a couple of buttons on the control that deals with data but I can't remember if the T+ has it (it should). Let me check, ... get back to you....

Mazatrol M-32 control on H630N sending program

hi to all

we recently got this machine in our shop and I'm trying to send programs to it.
    i have been having some difficulties doing this, and have a bunch of questions
    the machine gives you 3 different options to receive data. CMT I/O , DNC I/O, and TAPE I/O. i have tried all three of these and still the machine will not communicate. I'm trying to send a EIA/ G-gode program to it using the same cable as we use on our other CNC Mills (Fadals). Maybe the pin connections have to be changed for the mazak machines. I'm not sure.

also do you have to get the machine ready and waiting to receive the program or is it the other way around, have the machine pull the program from the PC
    i have heard some people use both ways. we always have the machine waiting to receive and then send the program with the PC. any ideas on this.

when we got the machine the company who had it before us had a note on it
    of how to transfer programs to the machine. it says to use the TAPE I/O
    command, and then use the Tape-Receive key and then type in the program #, and input key, then start "soft key" and also to remove finger off start key... i tried all this exactly like the note had it. and no luck.
    i keep on getting error #541 tape reader mis connect
    when i look in the mazak books we got with the machine there is only error #s up to like 390. there is no errors in the 500#...

we use Gibbs for our programming and also for transferring programs.
    i also have Simco-edit for transferring data, i tried both and on luck.

i also checked all the communicating info, parity baud rate handshake etc every thing match.

can any one out there help me...
    then machine is a H630N horizontal mill. 1993 model with a mazatrol M-32 controller on it.

thanks
    Chris

Arrow dnc

this is my first post i hope it helps,if you can save it you can load it via rs-232
    i use cncpcwin for my dnc 9600 baud ,use cmt i/o not tape i use cncpcwin because it reads mzk.file extension also your pgm name cant be more than 5 characters.

We have an old Mazak Dual-Turn 20 with Mazatrol T Plus (a CRT monitor with yellow letters)
    this Maza-machine speaks to me Deutsch which we can no way understand.
    People, i beg you, for the God's name, in the name of all the Holy and the mathers and fathers...

WHAT IS THE MAGIC KEYS COMBINATION that i am to push to switch this Maz... to at least English language?

I promise to remember your name at the Gods Supreme Court ))

By the way, if you can send from Mazak to PC - your settings are correct. And if you can not send from PC to Mazak - that means that your COM-port can not provaide the necessary voltages to the port pins. I faced this situation when connected PC to our Gildemaster Lathe with its EPL2 CNC. Nothing worked. The last thing i did then was i have found an old PC with its original COM-port, connected it to the Machine and sending data from PC was done successfully.
    Then i have found the USB-COM adapter which can send to this Gildemaster as well! It is the only USB-adapter that can work properly.