586,108 active members*
3,084 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Preventative Maitenance

How often does everybody else run PMs on Haas vertical mills?

You will probably get answers all over the board with this one. Anywhere from a few months to whenever it breaks down.

It all depends on how you run your machine. I would advise at least once a year. If you run 24/7 and/or push it hard, you may want to do it sooner.

If you are a hobby shop, then you could streatch it out longer, but you probably have more free time to look it over anyhow.

Haastech, I'm curious what you consider routine PM. For example, I have a VF-2ss and I check tool changer oil every 3 months, shoot some air tool oil in the air supply line every 3 months, and I pull the way covers once a year and do some house cleaning. Beyond that, what is there to do? (other than the obvious coolant and way oil top off's)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    Haastech, I'm curious what you consider routine PM. For example, I have a VF-2ss and I check tool changer oil every 3 months, shoot some air tool oil in the air supply line every 3 months, and I pull the way covers once a year and do some house cleaning. Beyond that, what is there to do? (other than the obvious coolant and way oil top off's)
    It all starts with the house cleaning. Always on the look out for anything out of the ordinary or that may have become damaged; motor cables, lube lines, etc. Aside from the visual checks and fluids, I also check level/tram (if possible), tool changer height, servce the tool changer arm (side mount), check drawbar pushout, drawbar switches, and on and on and on and ........

The extent of the PM is definitely dependant upon the skill of the person doing it, but all of it can be easily learned. Any amount of PM is a good thing in my book.

Just as important though, is a good operator that is in tune with the machine and recognizes when something is not right so that it can be addressed.

haastec, is there any place that you recommend getting training for PMs? My shop is near Eau Claire, WI. we normally have PMs done through productivity stationed in Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by PSG View Post
    haastec, is there any place that you recommend getting training for PMs? My shop is near Eau Claire, WI. we normally have PMs done through productivity stationed in Minneapolis
    Your best option is to shadow one of the techs you normally have do it and take notes on what he does. Most techs are happy to share their knowledge.