586,094 active members*
4,097 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > G540 doesn´t work. What may be wrong?

G540 doesn´t work. What may be wrong?

I have PK266-02A steppers with 1.4 A/phase (bipolar). I connected a 1.5 kohm resistor to the connectors but only a weak sound came from the steppers.

The power light is green but there is a red led light from the trim holes next to the connectors. Does this indicate anything wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by jaru-eri View Post
    I have PK266-02A steppers with 1.4 A/phase (bipolar). I connected a 1.5 kohm resistor to the connectors but only a weak sound came from the steppers.

The power light is green but there is a red led light from the trim holes next to the connectors. Does this indicate anything wrong?
    If the charge pump switch is on, turn it off. There also must be a jumper wire from terminal 10 to terminal 12 on the G540.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    If the charge pump switch is on, turn it off. There also must be a jumper wire from terminal 10 to terminal 12 on the G540.

CarveOne
    Nothing wrong with these points but it will still not work. I will try with another stepper and without the resistor.

When I tried with another stepper, I still can´t get the buzzing sound, but there is a holding torque. Are there any differences between G540 and other drivers regarding the sound of the steppers?

I forgot to mention that the red LEDs at the potentiometers should be lit up.

There should be no Fault LED lit up.

Are you sure that the parallel port cable pins are wired 1 to 1 through 25 to 25?

Are the Mach3 or EMC2 configurations set up correctly?

Did you put the G540 XML file in the correct directory?

These would be things to check for.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

I haven´t installed the G540 XML file yet, I tried to move it with the old configuration and maybe that is the reason for not moving? I just thought something must be wrong because the buzzing sound on the stepper wasn´t there.

Only the green led is lighting and red lights inside the trim holes.

I have now installed the 540 file and changed the file name to Mach3mill and now it moves but in wrong direction. Are there anything I need to change in the settings in order to solve this problem?

You have 2 options.

1. In the config change the 'Dir Active Low' the the opposite to what it is now in the pins and ports.

2. Swap the polarity of one of the phases on the motor. If you swap both phases you will be right back where you started. It doesn't matter which phase you choose.

Cheers
    Peter
    The ingenuity of idiots is unlimited.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/cncnutz

I asked Gecko support about the purpose of the red LED at the trim holes and was told that they indicate that DC power is getting to the G251 driver boards inside the G540.

As P.Passuello suggests, now that the motors are turning you can change the motor direction in the Mach3 Ports and Pins tab settings. When you do that make sure to save it. The Configuration menu has an option at the bottom of the list to save the configuration changes. If you don't do this it may not "stick" when you close Mach3 and start it again.

CarveOne
    CarveOne