587,034 active members*
3,077 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Error code 104

I have a 1998 Haas VF3. Everything was working fine. Then it stopped. Had a 104 Y axis error to large. Cleaned the connections on the servo board and the MOCON board. Thought it might be mechanical. Removed way covers, ball screw turns freely. The table was almost all the way in. Manually pulled it half way to Y0. Hit reset, and y zero return single axis. It moved 6-7 inches, then stopped. In the last 2-3 inches made a sound like something sticking. Thought it might be the ways. Still turns freely. Must have been a way cover. Any suggestions would be appreciated. best regards Stephen

I had a machine with a bad ball screw on the X axis that made noise and would alarm out occasionally.

We had a similar issue when we first got our 2002 VF2SS in March. It did that on power-up, but with the X-axis. Haas recommended cleaning/checking the "home" switch. From the sounds of your problem, it is possible this may or may not be it. But you may want to check it out anyway. If it is like ours is, it will either be a micro switch or a proximity switch under the way covers. You may need a mirror and a flashlight to see it, but trust me, it is there. That switch was our problem. Years of coolant and chips building up underneath there caused the switch to be sticky. A quick scrub job and we were back in business again.

Hopefully this solves your problem. Good luck!

Mike

Alarm 104 means that the axis is not moving as fast as the controller is expecting it to move.

I think a 1998 machine has brush type servos. You may need new brushes or all the dust inside the motors may need to be blown out.

What does the servo load show when you do Y axis zero return? If it goes high but the motor is not running fast the problem may be carbon dust shorting inside the motor. If it does not go high or fluctuates then I would suspect worn brushes making poor contact.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Alarm 104 means that the axis is not moving as fast as the controller is expecting it to move.

I think a 1998 machine has brush type servos. You may need new brushes or all the dust inside the motors may need to be blown out.

What does the servo load show when you do Y axis zero return? If it goes high but the motor is not running fast the problem may be carbon dust shorting inside the motor. If it does not go high or fluctuates then I would suspect worn brushes making poor contact.
    +1 - Definitely check this first!

For easier access to the Y-Axis motor, completely remove the lube panel at the rear of the machine. It is not to difficult, and is well worth the effort.

Good luck!

I tried what was suggested with no luck. I changed the wiring between the X servo and Y servo board. Now the problem went to the X axis. This would indicate a problem with the servo board. Can a used one be found, or can this one be fixed, or this there something I can check on the board? This is a 1998 machine and has brushless servos. Thanks for the help so far. Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by morpwr View Post
    I tried what was suggested with no luck. I changed the wiring between the X servo and Y servo board. Now the problem went to the X axis. This would indicate a problem with the servo board...
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the way this is written, it sounds like it is either a cabling problem, servo problem, or the aforementioned micro switch/proximity switch. If you swapped the wiring from x to y and from y to x and the problem moved along with it, that says to me that it is not the servo board. I am certainly no expert.

Just for giggles, please check that limit switch to make sure it is operating correctly.

Mike

I woul also check +/- 12 VDC from low voltage power supply
    Yellow, White and Black wires connected parallel to each servo-amp
    if that voltage drops this alarm comes up it applies for all axes!
    90 % the problem is there!
    Robby

If you swapped the wiring at the amplifiers between x and y axis's and the problem moved to x axis then the amplifier is the problem. Usually in my experience if it is a low voltage power supply problem then z axis or A axis if equipped will error out first. This is not always but usually. If you think about it logically the answer is pretty obvious. If Y axis is giving you a problem but X axis is fine, and you swap all the wires ( the red, white, and black motor wires, and the cable that goes from the top of the amplifier to the Mocon board) with the x amplifier, and the problem switches to the x axis then the problem is the amplifier. If the problem was still with the Y axis then you have a problem with either the cable or motor for y axis.