586,116 active members*
3,339 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Choices for mill....

I have been looking at getting a G0704 or a RF45 clone to CNC but a Bridgeport SII BOSS 6 (with out controller) came up for sale locally. The current owner had it setup with PMDX controllers and smooth stepper with Mach3 but is keeping the controller equipment.

It is a 3 phase machine so I will need a convertor but it already has servos and ball screws. Checking to see if I can do a VFD for the main motor.

Beyond the initial costs which are higher and the space requirements, can some one think of any other disadvantages to the Bridgeport?

I was really set to order the G0704 and Hoss's plans but this Bridgeport has me thinking.....

If you have the room get the bridgeport, you can use a vfd for the spindle motor.
    Can't beat good ole American iron.
    If I had a garage I'd have a couple used Bridgeports from work.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Go with the bridgeport. All you have to do is buy the electronics and wire it up. Like Hoss said you can buy a VFD that will convert 220 single phase to 208 3 phase. Pick up the PMDX-126 and the PMDX-107, some limit/home switches, Servo drives and power supplies and you are will on your way.

You have to ask your self if you want the mill to be the project or do you want it to make other things. The bridgeport would work well and save you a ton of time. Try to get him to show you it running so you can see that there is no binding or any other issues before he rips everything off of it. Would also be a good idea to get a list of what he is removing.

+1 to what they said...

Jermie and Hoss both have it right - if you can fit it and afford it then go for it - not looking to chase you from the bench top machines group but a true CNC ready machine will save you way more time than the incremental cost increase in going for it over a new benchtop machine.

Mike

The one side effect of the Bridgeport is that you will snicker uncontrollably every time you see an X2 mill.

Go for it. Get as much detail as you can about the electronics the seller used, so you can buy the same gear. And see if he'll give you a copy of his Mach config file. It'll save you some time and effort setting up.

Frederic

Thanks guys, I was leaning towards the Bridgeport because of the additional size and rigidity.

I am more into the building of part more then the building of the machine but I enjoy the building of the machine also. I always want to understand how something works so building the machine helps with that part of me.

I have an RF20 clone mill/drill with DRO and a G0609 lathe, so the Bridgeport would be nice. Not sure if I will keep the RF20 or sell it to make room for the Bridgeport. I am still waiting for answers to some additional questions I set the seller last night. I am trying to run down to take a look at it this weekend.

There are limitations to a Bridgeport, there are also better choices for removing large chunks of metal in a production basis. I will also say that I've used Bridgeports for over 20 years and it's hard to beat them for that balance of versatility, accuracy, and mass. It won't take the place of a good jig bore but for work that's +/- .003 they do quite well. I just received a G0704 yesterday and I'm still keeping my eye out for a nice used Bridgeport to go alongside it.

If it's in decent shape and the price is right then get the BP and you won't look back. If you've already got an RF20 then you may want to keep it around for secondary ops so you don't have to break a set up in the BP.