586,628 active members*
2,526 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > V23 - Extrude /connect surfaces

V23 - Extrude /connect surfaces

Not sure if extrude is the proper way to describe what I need, but the result is close.

I have 2 identical surfaces created, they are 6" apart on Z axis, and offset 2" on Y axis.

I want to connect them to make a solid. I know there must be a simple way to do it, but the 3d stuff is new to me!!

Thanks!!
    Thanks
    Marc

You only need one of those surfaces. Take that surface and extrude the 2" needed so it would terminate where your second surface is/was. The surface will have been turned to a solid the thickness of the extrusion.

Depending on your surface, you may need to rotate it first so that your extrusion will be along the Z axis. If it is a 3D surface, the "normal" direction may not get you what you want. So, rotate the surface 90 degrees around the Y axis. Then extrude the surface along the Z axis. You can then rotate the solid back 90 degrees around the Y axis so it is aligned the way you originally had it. Unfortunately your only extrusion direction options are Normal and Z-axis. This limits the way you can get the job done, but not what you can do - just how to do it (SolidWords for instance lets you define a line and you can extrude along that line - the line can be in any funky direction).

Another option would be to use the Sweep function. Here you can define a line on the X-Y plane, and you can sweep the outline of your surface along that line. This way is a bit more complicated IMO, but I do suggest you try it so you can understand how it works. It will allow you to do MUCH more complicated solids than a simple linear extrude.
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

You would use your UCS's to extrude objects in different directions.. If the part is not x or y or z planar, you would add a custom UCS to get the extrude direction.

Here's a quick example.

ucs_extrusion - YouTube