586,106 active members*
3,064 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Entry level paper cutter

I am completely new to laser cutters and not very technical.

I have seen a couple on eBay but have no idea of their capabilities and if there are hidden costs or extras to buy before I could actually use it.
    USB CO2 LASER ENGRAVING CUTTING MACHINE ENGRAVER/NEW e1 | eBay
    New 40W Desktop CO2 Laser Engraver Cutter 210x205mm+FREE HONEYCOMB BED+Newlydraw | eBay

I have also seen a slightly more expensive one shipped from the UK but my research seems to suggest they are not that reliable. Is it that much more for an extra £500?

LS3020 pro Desktop laser engraving and cutting machine laser engraving and cutting machine with software [LS3020 pro] - £1,125.00 : laser engraving machines laser cutting machines, HPC laser LTD

I am looking for an entry level laser cutter for fairly complex pattern cutting cards and invitations, A5ish size and probably no thicker than 400gsm card.

I really want to own a machine so i can create numerous samples - as the cost to outsource individual samples is too much - but it would be great if it could also do a run of 50 - 100.

How accurate would a machine of this standard be and how complex cut outs would is handle? Also is there any problem with burn marks?

Also I'm not sure what software I would need to use, I would usually work with jpg and ai files (on a mac or pc).

Any advice on this and /or the ongoing running costs and lifespan of a machine so I can work out if it's cost effective for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TLSH View Post
    I am completely new to laser cutters and not very technical.

I have seen a couple on eBay but have no idea of their capabilities and if there are hidden costs or extras to buy before I could actually use it.
    USB CO2 LASER ENGRAVING CUTTING MACHINE ENGRAVER/NEW e1 | eBay
    New 40W Desktop CO2 Laser Engraver Cutter 210x205mm+FREE HONEYCOMB BED+Newlydraw | eBay

If you're looking for something that will be reliable, and last, you really need to look into investing a little bit more into it. These machines are meant to be hobby level at best, some arrive and they aren't worth more than scrap metal. They all require a good bit of work, either fixing wiring, grounding, focus.

I have also seen a slightly more expensive one shipped from the UK but my research seems to suggest they are not that reliable. Is it that much more for an extra £500?

LS3020 pro Desktop laser engraving and cutting machine laser engraving and cutting machine with software [LS3020 pro] - £1,125.00 : laser engraving machines laser cutting machines, HPC laser LTD

I am looking for an entry level laser cutter for fairly complex pattern cutting cards and invitations, A5ish size and probably no thicker than 400gsm card.

I really want to own a machine so i can create numerous samples - as the cost to outsource individual samples is too much - but it would be great if it could also do a run of 50 - 100.

Are you looking at doing a single run of a few hundred cards, or are you wanting to do this as a business?

How accurate would a machine of this standard be and how complex cut outs would is handle? Also is there any problem with burn marks?

If you use white paper there may be some browning to the edges of the cut, I have seen some people get a clean cut, I think my laser is too powerful to get a clean no burn cut. I'm using an 80w.

Also I'm not sure what software I would need to use, I would usually work with jpg and ai files (on a mac or pc).
    The laser should come with software, you should have something like coreldraw or adobe illustrator, because you need to use vector images for cutting.
    Any advice on this and /or the ongoing running costs and lifespan of a machine so I can work out if it's cost effective for me.
    Save a little and get a higher quality machine. There are good Chinese manufacturers out there, and lasers can be had at a very reasonable cost, but buy from a reputable company.

Thanks for your answers, sorry there's so many questions.

I am looking to use this as a part of a very small business. Initially creating a large number of individual examples (so too expensive to outsource) and then producing a run of 50 - 100 of a single design. I wouldn't expect this to be more than one run of this size per month.

I'm struggling with lack of product knowledge to work out who is reputable.

I have spoken to HPC Laser who will give us a demonstration and training. They are confident that at the right speed and power this machine would be fine. Is it high quality enough?

However another company (whose entry level cutter was £9999 completely out of my budget) has said that a CO2 laser would cut a bit wobbly. Is this the case?

Tlsh,

The HPC laser should do the job well but it will be very slow. Paper cutting is usually done with the galvo head type of machine which can be extremely quick and make production runs a pleasure.

My laser is an X - Y type (like the HPC) and as an example this A4 sized Mexican Papel Picado took me 14 minutes to complete. Could you accept that sort of snail speed for production ??

Tweakie.

CNC is only limited by our imagination.

He recons one run of 50-100 a month and a few samples , speed wouldnt be a huge issue
    I however would step up the laser ladder for a few more quid. Generally the very small machines are real junk with lousy software.. I would go to a 500 x 300 machine which is generally built a LOT better and is more functional - a 40-60w tube will do.
    I think the laser you show is overpriced , I have seen similar in China for $399-$500 and thats the type I said is normally junk...This one might be well sorted , who knows?

hy i just purcase an laser from shenhui 300*500 i just wait to start to play with him