586,104 active members*
3,371 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Rhinocam > Double Sided Milling / Stock from selection question

Double Sided Milling / Stock from selection question

Hello All --

I've got a part that requires milling on two sides.

I thought I could simulate one side, export the result as an .stl, open a new file, import the .stl, use "create stock from selection," and wind up with a stock that was missing the parts previously machined away.

However, the "create stock from selection" just creates a box lacking the contours in the .stl.

I suppose this is because the .stl is a mesh and the function requires a surface?

Does anyone have any good tricks for solving this problem?

Thanks!
    :wee:

WHy not path your first side, select rotate table 180 under 4 axis, simulate it. then path your second side? You can post each operation seperatly so that it cut one side and then stops. Flip the part and then load and cut the second side.

An alternative, after you create your stock box draw a rectangle the size of your stock box on the end. do your first MOP and post it. Then delete your first MOP select all of the part grab the center of the rectangle you drew and flip the entire part 180 degrees and make a new MOP. I have 4th axis but often if Im just cutting a 180 flip I will do it that way. Some times cutting the parts on the 4th axis leaves some areas uncut. You can rotate the table the degrees you need to and path just that area that needs cleaned up in 2 or 3 axis cutting.

You even not need to rotate part and delete mop.

1. Create stock, i mean real stock you will proceed
    2. Place it over part, align it to viewport origin
    3. Create new MOP, THEN ANOTER MOP. In first mop create MCS origin, align it to the stock, in second one create all other proocessings.
    4. Choose viewport to back (I suppose it was top)
    5. Create 2 more MOPs, in first of it create new MCS, and choose ALIGN TO VIEWPORT in settings. Then align it to stock corner, as you wish. You will see small origin sign at the bottom (or top - depends of your viewport) with Z axe looking outward stock.

Now you can create rest of machining in last MOP. After all post 2nd and 4th MOPs as "Top side" and "Bottom side"

tried to follow

Quote Originally Posted by Melkiades View Post
    You even not need to rotate part and delete mop.

1. Create stock, i mean real stock you will proceed
    2. Place it over part, align it to viewport origin
    3. Create new MOP, THEN ANOTER MOP. In first mop create MCS origin, align it to the stock, in second one create all other proocessings.
    4. Choose viewport to back (I suppose it was top)
    5. Create 2 more MOPs, in first of it create new MCS, and choose ALIGN TO VIEWPORT in settings. Then align it to stock corner, as you wish. You will see small origin sign at the bottom (or top - depends of your viewport) with Z axe looking outward stock.

Now you can create rest of machining in last MOP. After all post 2nd and 4th MOPs as "Top side" and "Bottom side"
    I tried to follow this but could not. It is an explanation for a advanced user who would be able to figure this out anyhow..Can you repeat as for begginers please ?
    Thanx
    tt