586,094 active members*
3,706 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > i need to cool down my cnc lathe's electronics. Will a usb fridge work?

i need to cool down my cnc lathe's electronics. Will a usb fridge work?

hello folks,
    i just realized that my stepper drivers, vfd and PSU are running at their peak temperatures and the stepper drivers trips due to thermal limit also. I touched them and they were really hot (i have just replaced my psu power mosfets that i think got fried due to heat).

i have tried using fans and filters but no luck ( a lot of conductive dust is always around it that blocks the air filters so fast) I am thinking about a mini Air conditioner now as used in commercial cnc machines. I just came across this
    Mini USB PC Fridge Beverage Drink Cans Food Cooler New! | eBay

it is a 12V air chiller based on "peltier thermoelectric coolers". Will it work? what you guys think? Any web links for cabinet coolers below $200 ?????
    Not all my electronics have thermal protection and i run the machine regularly 8 to 9 hrs a day. So be fast this time please (before i fry something else)

jasminder singh
    It is better to die for something than to live for nothing.

jasminer oye freeze and chiller unit are different boss.you should to use panel AC if required
    regards
    [email protected],+91-9430737981

Quote Originally Posted by yours_prabhat View Post
    jasminer oye freeze and chiller unit are different boss.you should to use panel AC if required
    regards
    [email protected],+91-9430737981
    and where can i get them in india ( i prefer online if possible) any links my dear?
    jasminder singh

vortec tubes work but need filters and clean air . also make sure cabinet is tight and will keep cabinet pressurized to help with dirty air.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcguire View Post
    vortec tubes work but need filters and clean air . also make sure cabinet is tight and will keep cabinet pressurized to help with dirty air.
    well, does it means that i need to design my cabinet like a compressor tank?
    need more light on it.

jasminder singh

No they just need to shut properly especially around doors or large opening, most cabinets will pressurize enough to keep most dirt out.

What about something like building a metal box
    and putting a gasket to keep the dust out

For coolong you could rey something like a radiator
    or even peltier cpu coolers that have the hot side
    mounted outside the box and the cold side inside.
    add a couple of Muffin Fans for airflow in the box.

Put some descant in the box to keep it all dry

just a thought

No, it won't work.

Cooling a system is all about moving heat. Heat is measured, for instance, in BTU (British Thermal Units). THE best way to move heat is to blow air. A simple fan is the BEST way to remove the most heat from an area. If you have issues with dust, you need more filtration to keep the dust out.

An eBay peltier refrigerator has barely enough BTU to cool a can of soda after 30 minutes or even more. There is NO way it will be able to keep cool anything that generates heat - NO way. That's like asking if you could take the radiator out of your car, and use a tiny USB refrigerator instead. Heck no!

Forget about active cooling like peltiers (especially) or air conditioners - they just won't move enough BTU unless they are VERY large units - VERY large! A large machine easily generate a higher cooling need than a whole family home. If you have to, use a shop-vac to blow air in to the cabinet - it will move a LOT of air (and with that air, heat). You can then use the high flowrate and cheap filter in a shopvac to keep the cabinet clean. Depending on your environment you may need to change (or clean) the filter after a certain number of running hours, or days, etc. Depending on how often you run the machine, you may need a high duty cycle motor or you will burn it out. Normal shop vac's probably are not meant to run for hours and hours and hours on end...
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Positive air pressure and bigger heat sinks should do the trick. You dont need to buy the fancy heat sink unless you already have the aluminum plate heat sink. The positive air pressure will keep out the dust big fan for the intake small openings for the exit. Also don't cram everything in a box right next to each other. If the heat is next to heat it makes more heat that is harder to cool..
    my 2 cents
    Hazardous