586,042 active members*
3,894 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > Selecting which side of geometry to rough mill.

Selecting which side of geometry to rough mill.

I import a .dxf file of a part that looks like the closed outline of a Pi symbol. I'm using a 1/8" cutter to go around the part to cut it out. If I choose a profile operation, it correctly profiles around the outside perimeter. I wanted to try to create a channel around the part so I could try trochoidel milling. I performed a 3/16" outside offset of the perimeter. I selected roughing, digitized the outline of the part, and then the new offset perimeter for the containment region. However the tool path is now inside the outline of the part. I can't for the life of me figure out how to define which side of the outline to rough on? Any hints?
    Thanks.

Been a while since I even opened EdgeCAM. In MasterCAM it depends on: the point of the profile you click on for conventional or climb milling, and then what you set on cutter comp offset, left, right, or center.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Been a while since I even opened EdgeCAM. In MasterCAM it depends on: the point of the profile you click on for conventional or climb milling, and then what you set on cutter comp offset, left, right, or center.
    Thanks for the reply. I tried reselecting from the outside edge and it didn't make a difference. Even swapping climb for conventional didn't make a difference.

You cant choose trochoidal milling 4 Operations unless you expand your instructions +. And if you do this its pretty much a cycle.

If you are using Roughing Operations : General - Mark Digitise Stock box. (you can expand and choose trochoidal later)

In another thread you claim Edgecam got its own life and you cant start where you want. You can (depending of cycle). Theres a arrow and a star which you can move as you want.

Look in your help files: contents and index - search - start and end points

Quote Originally Posted by Mimer View Post
    In another thread you claim Edgecam got its own life and you cant start where you want. You can (depending of cycle). Theres a arrow and a star which you can move as you want.

Look in your help files: contents and index - search - start and end points
    Thanks for the reply Mimer. Regarding the start point, perhaps the problem is the type of file I started out with. I loaded a .dxf file. In the Start/End window, in the Start/End Point Preference, there is an option Digitize. This puts the start/End as close as possible to the digitized point according to the help file. How do I define this point? Do I need to create a new "Feature" based upon the original .dxf outline?
    Eric

Forget all about start and end points when you rough.

Just so im sure i understand what you want.

First you will rough your contour and leave 5 mm offset.
    Next you will run another rough with trochoidal and leave another offset 4 profiling ?

Or just one rough using trochoidal and one profiling ?

Which version Edgecam are you on btw ?

Right now I am using a 1/8" endmill and two profile operations to cut the part out of 1/4" 6061 plate. The first profile operation is done in four passes leaving .005" on the walls, then a full depth profile operation for cleanup. What I wanted to try was to create a 3/16" wide channel around the part that I could use a trochoidal path on it and hopefully do it on two passes at a greater feed rate, then follow up with a cleanup. To do this, I took the dxf file and performed an offset command on it to get the channel. I thought I would be able to use the roughing command and select the two outlines, and have it rough between them. What i happening is the interior of the inner profile is being cut. I can't get it to select the material between the lines. I thought I could use the dxf files to create a feature or geometry and extrude to create a 3D boss, but the features and geometry items are all grayed out.
    Eric

Which version of Edgecam are you using ?? 2011 R2. 2011 R1 etc ????

Sorry, you did ask that. It's 2011 r2

Try this
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Mimer View Post
    Try this
    Thanks for the help Mimer.

Here is a file of what I have. By the way, I miss-spoke. I meant to say it was an Omega shape, not Pi shape.

I selected the inner shape to rough out, and the offset shape as the containment. It always wants to machine the inside of the inner shape however.

Can you add your mach3 postprocessor 2 ?

Dont use containment. If your postprocessor supports M-Funktions just add a "Update Stock" after your first roughing. And btw if you wanna rough from outside and in 2 your contour mark checkbox digitise stock and remember 2 put a offset on. When you click ok after that doubleclick on ur stock. (Look lower left corner. Theres a message "digitise stock")
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails digitise stock.jpg  

Thanks Mimer,
    The part that I want to machine is between the green and black lines however.
    I want this to replace a simple profiling operation on the inner shape (black line). The profiling is to cut the part out. I was hoping that instead of using four slow passes, I could speed things up a lot by using Trochoidel.
    I can't seem top find the mach3.mcp file anywhere even though it shows up in my post list?

another bug example

Here is a perfect example of what is making me wonder about edgecam. I took your file, then simply changed the feed rates. Look at how the profile path updated itself. It stops, then does a full circle around.
    I had a similar thing happen yesterday where instead of following a surface that went from an outside curve to an inside curve, the path went halfway through the inside curve, then went backwards into an arc around the curve and then continues on again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ecbug.jpg  

Theres no bugs in Edgecam. Your system is inch mine is metric and we are not using the same post thats the reason.

This is last try from me becuz im still not 100% of what you rly wanna do.
    If your task is just 2 cut the black shape out like with a plasmacutter, will i claim the best and fastest way is Profiling mayb with a helix. Anyway before you check, you need 2 change back 2 your own post and regenerate.

Your file is exactly what I was trying to do!
    When I load your part file, it looks fine. If I right click on the Roughing operation and select Regenerate, I get a window that says.
    "General Internal Error. Failed to generate cycle". Since we are using the same training post, I can't imagine that is what the problem is.
    Which version are you running Mimer?

2011 R2. But forget it, start from scratch. Roughing - when it say "digitise geometry to machine" - doubleclick on the green and the black shape so both gets highlighted all the way around. Thats all you need 2 do. And NO BOUNDARY.