586,036 active members*
3,564 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > "Echo" or "Print" command to display to the screen?

"Echo" or "Print" command to display to the screen?

Okay, I don't know how I've not run across this until now, but I need to know how to print stuff to the screen. I'm using my touch probe to measure a couple of places, doing some math on the data and (for now) am storing the result in an unused fixture offset. Sure, I can read the data right there in the fixture offset but I'd rather make it more obvious (to, say, the dim-witted guy who'll be running the machine). ;-) I'd like to just be able to print it to the screen...something like, "The value is: #101", and the contents of variable #101 is displayed. This is possible, right? I see there's a DPRINT command for sending to the serial port but so far haven't found what I'm looking for.

Do you have a Haas manual?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkSerbu View Post
    Okay, I don't know how I've not run across this until now, but I need to know how to print stuff to the screen. I'm using my touch probe to measure a couple of places, doing some math on the data and (for now) am storing the result in an unused fixture offset. Sure, I can read the data right there in the fixture offset but I'd rather make it more obvious (to, say, the dim-witted guy who'll be running the machine). ;-) I'd like to just be able to print it to the screen...something like, "The value is: #101", and the contents of variable #101 is displayed. This is possible, right? I see there's a DPRINT command for sending to the serial port but so far haven't found what I'm looking for.

Mark, there was a guy on here that had some really good posts. I think it all posted to a program # I know you can get quardinates in fixture offsets and through the serial cable
    I'll post the links as I am playing with the probe today as well, and came on to find a few posts for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Do you have a Haas manual?
    Haas has nothign to do with it and its not in the haas manual nor can most haas techs help. all the help comes directly from Renishaw and they will help and take the time to make sure you have it correct.

heres one for getting them into fixture offsets
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/haas_m...ing_cycle.html

the guy from poland pit202 has some good posts as well for the probe, very smart guy
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/haas_m...32_output.html

Kendo is also a very smart guy check out some of his posts on probes ( read post number3 I linked 2 of there probing cycles)
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/haas_m...e_trigger.html

Also the renishaw book I have it if you need a copy, you can down load it from them also.

Thanks for the input. I have the Renishaw "book" in .pdf format, thanks. I don't have a problem with the Renishaw stuff...as I said I wrote a program that touches off on a couple of places and does math and then puts the result into an unused fixture offset (G56 in this case). So when the program is finished I can find my result by looking at the fixture tables. I just wanted it to print out in the middle of the screen. Seems it is a Haas question, as it depends on whether or not their controller has the ability to echo text and variables to the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    Mark, there was a guy on here that had some really good posts. I think it all posted to a program # I know you can get quardinates in fixture offsets and through the serial cable
    I'll post the links as I am playing with the probe today as well, and came on to find a few posts for reference.

Haas has nothign to do with it and its not in the haas manual nor can most haas techs help. all the help comes directly from Renishaw and they will help and take the time to make sure you have it correct.

renishaw told me it goes into a program/macro if I remember correctly they said you had to do some things to make it work. I had to ask them cause my local haas techs had no clue, when I called haas they told me to call renishaw. so far I have found absolutely no support on the renishaw from haas(not complaining about it), only renishaw and they are very helpful with one phonecall.

someone on this board posted what program the numbers go into( it was a macro I believe),or they posted how to get it into a macro/program I thought it was Kendo or pitt thats why I suggested looking up there posts.
    it also could have been probeman the guy from renishaw. I had seen it recently and havent been able to find it yet.

I was going to walk him through macros and outputting data using the Haas manual for examples. But now I won't. You can handle it so much better than I.

Have a nice day.

If you really want a value to be displayed on the screen, then I believe the only way you're going to accomplish that is like this:

(probe position 1)
    (write pos 1 to #501)
    (probe position 2)
    (write pos 2 to #502)
    #503 = [#502 - #501] (or whatever math you need to do)
    G54 G0 X#503
    M0 (or a G4 dwell)
    (Record current X position)

Haas does have custom alarm messages that you can write, but I have no idea how they work as I've not needed that feature yet. Maybe someone else can comment on custom alarms and whether that will do what the OP is looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    I was going to walk him through macros and outputting data using the Haas manual for examples. But now I won't. You can handle it so much better than I.

Have a nice day.
    ????

Yes, this is pretty much what I'm doing. Except that I'm writing the data to the G56 offset variable and I just look at it there. I scoured the manual (searched the .pdf version) and haven't seen anything relevant. Nothing on custom alarms...scratch that, I just found it. #3000 Programmable Messages. Doesn't seem to be what I want, though. It will output a message, sure, but only a message and no date. And it puts the machine in an alarm state from which reset must be pushed to continue. Oh, well. Maybe with enough hints here and with me spending more than 15 minutes at a time on the problem (my attention span is CRAP lately), then I'll find a solution! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    If you really want a value to be displayed on the screen, then I believe the only way you're going to accomplish that is like this:

(probe position 1)
    (write pos 1 to #501)
    (probe position 2)
    (write pos 2 to #502)
    #503 = [#502 - #501] (or whatever math you need to do)
    G54 G0 X#503
    M0 (or a G4 dwell)
    (Record current X position)

Haas does have custom alarm messages that you can write, but I have no idea how they work as I've not needed that feature yet. Maybe someone else can comment on custom alarms and whether that will do what the OP is looking for.