586,116 active members*
3,469 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 5 of 8 34567
    ignore

Got a bit done today... First motor on the X axis is mounted and tensioned.. Looks rather nice I think. Also, I got the first of my proximity/limit/home switches mounted today. The one for the Z axis... Rather discrete I thought when I was finished mounting it.

Also I made a sticker for the Z axis and X axis, depicting which way is what when running... Not something that was nessecary, buuut it keeps the look going...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01925(1).jpg   DSC01926(1).jpg  

Smile Love those Stickers

IN-Wonder,

Just love the level of detail you put into your machine, just amazing. I love the stickers just add to the professionalizm of the machine. All these little details really do make a difference and project a completely professional machine, very nice.

I just love the cabinet you selected just matches your machine perfect. Wow I have looked for a cabinet like that on ebay and they cost a fortune. Love the door and how you are laying everything out. Noticed the shielded cables exiting the bottom, very nice.

If you decide to add a Pendant you can do this by adding an additional parallel port in the PC and a breakout card inside your cabinet. I picked up a case from Digikey and did my own pendant and honestly, you will want to do a pendant they make things really nice. You can find the MPG units on ebay and often get them in the $50 range and they are extremely nice to have on a machine.

CNCMAN172

Thank you very much... The Cabinet is selfmade, so it does not exist anywhere in the world besides on this machine... I love the idea of making it as pro as possible, so there will be added other stickes in the future, and who knows, maybe even a name for the machine.

About the Pendant, then I'm going to save up a few bucks and buy this one ShuttleRU_STM32

It looks very nice, and comes with a wide range of functions directly on the pendant. Plus it connects via USB, so no need for the extra parralell port on the back of the PC...

Smile Pendant

IN-Wonder,

Yes, I have seen this guy's first two pendants, but had not seen his latest creation. Wow he has been busy and I really love the new version. I did not see any prices on his website, but he was really reasonable on the second version. How much does the new one costs?

Wow you built the control cabinet yourself? You are absolutely amazing my friend you do some of the finest work I had seen on the zone without question. You are AWESOME buddy!

Pendants are really nice especially for positioning the mill to set a new relative zero aligned to where the material is on the table. I also use it to set the zero at the top of the material. I will eventually add a touch probe and a macro to perform this function but the old fashion method is very accurate for all the things I have been cutting even in aluminum.

Russ
    CNCMAN172

I will be using the 2010 screenset for Mach3, so I will have alot of tool zeroing functions in that also... I will be mounting a fixed zero plate on the machine, and then have a movable zero plate following the z axis around, so I don't need a 5 meter piece of wire hanging around.

Yes, I made the cabinet myself. Used Solidworks to think it up, and then getting it lasercut and bent, and then I welded it together myself... I just love solidworks. very easy to use, and it creates parts so easily...

Wow nicely done with the electronic cabinet, looks great!! You do fantastic work my friend!!

Thank you.

I'm also very happy with the result...
    Got my hard stops mounted today, so now the Gantry will stay on the machine and not run off.

Quote Originally Posted by IN-WondeR View Post
    ..............About the Pendant, then I'm going to save up a few bucks and buy this one ShuttleRU_STM32

It looks very nice, and comes with a wide range of functions directly on the pendant. Plus it connects via USB, so no need for the extra parralell port on the back of the PC...

keep the pics flowing and thanks for the pendant link...... and as you said too about giving your build a name........gosh you have a product there you could market......now there's an idea:idea: building some thing you like and getting paid for it
    Eoin

It's been a few slow days this time, and school is taking alot out of me. But tonight I actually got a bit done. Got the rest of the cables mounted in the cable carriers tonight, and the first few wires connected to the electronics cabinet... And there's alot of cables I think. Well, all have not been pulled, I still need to pull my ground cable all the way round, but other than that, they are all there...
    Oh, I have gotten some other things done also. Got all my Proxy/limit switches mounted, all 3 of them... I will be using magnetic proxy/limit switches, and they will be used as dual action switches, both working as home and limits switches..

This picture is from the top of my Y-Car, where all cables from Z and Y will be placed... Looks good I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01927(1).jpg  

Smile Limit Switch Wiring

In_WondeR,

Looking at your latest photo with the wiring it appears you are using six wires to a limit switch? Are you maybe doubling up the wires for more current or are you actually using all six? NO NC COM is what is on most limit switches even optical is only three?

Russ
    CNCMAN172

Your eyes are not failing you.
    I'm using Cat5 network cable for my proximity switches, so I'm using pairs of wires for each, but it's not NO NC and COM. it's +24V NO and COM

Kim, why N/O for limit switches? if they break, or a cable is cut accidentally you will not know they are broke until its too late... [edit] unless... you use magnetic sensors like the MM which I suspect is the case

Pablo
    ● Distribuidor Syil en Argentina ● "www.syil.com.ar" ●

I am as you suspect using NPN sensors for the machine. But as you also suspect, then they will only be activated when passing over a piece of metal in the ends, and not the way that they are mounted on the MM, where they are active until the holes in the ends of the axis...

It might not be the correct way according to MM builders to do it, but if this works as it should then it should be no problem. And of course I will only be needing them for the homing as I believe my build has no flaws so accidents never will happen... HAHAHA(chair)

Great work kim i followed your work from mechmate forum till now , good luck. i bought the same y-car tube as your 200mmx300mmx10mm thicker with a length of 2 meter your work inspired me a lot . i have a small question. what's the small wire attached to the body for ?
    thanks a lot

Kim, the network cable may fail if it is of the single stranded type, you could instead use a 8 core .25sq mm multi strand cable

I know, but I did not have any laying around, and after starting in school, money is a luxury, so I'll use what I have laying around now... As long as I'm mounting it so it does not move much other than in the cable carriers, then I believe it should work as is for a long time, until I start making some money on the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by myousry View Post
    Great work kim i followed your work from mechmate forum till now , good luck. i bought the same y-car tube as your 200mmx300mmx10mm thicker with a length of 2 meter your work inspired me a lot . i have a small question. what's the small wire attached to the body for ?
    thanks a lot
    The small black wire you see, is actually not attached to the machine, there's a hole in the top, where it runs through, and the goes all the way down to the Y limit switch...

My gantry tube is not 200x300mm, that's my Table tubes that's this size. My gantry tube is only 140x260x8mm x 1900mm.

Yes Kim,

just see that your cable carriers have a large radius of bend, I have had a hard learning due to this, as the radius of my cable carriers was small, I even lost lot of multistrand cable. within a couple of days.

my best to you

Quote Originally Posted by IN-WondeR View Post
    The small black wire you see, is actually not attached to the machine, there's a hole in the top, where it runs through, and the goes all the way down to the Y limit switch...

My gantry tube is not 200x300mm, that's my Table tubes that's this size. My gantry tube is only 140x260x8mm x 1900mm.
    i meant the yellow ones not the black one

Page 5 of 8 34567