586,108 active members*
3,199 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Alibre 2012 released today.

It is a major improvement and is so much easier to navigate. :banana:

Take a look and see what you think.. Here is a short video of the new interface.

Neat!

I hate, Hate, HATE the ribbon. But in this case, it really looks like they took the time to lay it out in a reasonable way. It's not so much a ribbon as a very well designed toolbar.

I'm looking forward to trying this out.

Frederic

Ribbons

Given how Mocrosoft used ribbons to hide everything it is understandable why nobody but a novice would like them. But hiding things is not the ribbons only problem. Work areas on the dispaly tend to be square while displays are rectangular. Toolbars can be put on the side thus providing more valuable vertical working area. To me it looked like they were using 10 or 15% of the most useful part of the display for the ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by TomB View Post
    Given how Mocrosoft used ribbons to hide everything it is understandable why nobody but a novice would like them. But hiding things is not the ribbons only problem. Work areas on the dispaly tend to be square while displays are rectangular. Toolbars can be put on the side thus providing more valuable vertical working area. To me it looked like they were using 10 or 15% of the most useful part of the display for the ribbon.
    You can turn off the ribbon and all toolbars, and just left click in the active 2D sketch, and you get 99% of what you need right there in a context sensitive toolbar.

Quote Originally Posted by TomB View Post
    Like was said above, you can turn them off.

But,, I guess you assume that I am a novice due to the fact I like the ribbon. That is so far from wrong. The reason I like the ribbon is the informative descriptions that exlain the feature. I find it very useful to remind me of a way to use the software since I don't spend my day on it. Maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks I get to use it. Had Alibre since version 9.

I have been in the IT industry and cut my teeth on an IBM ES/3090 mainframe system 25 odd years ago, all the way to owning an IT company today. I manage everything from Unix, Linux, Cisco and boatloads of Microsoft systems. So no, not a novice.

So are there any major bugs to seen yet. My last update was bit flakey. I will be backing up my system prior to this update just in case.
    I think so fast, my fingers can't type out all the I wanted to say.

I don't like the ribbon in MS Office and I don't need it in Alibre.
    Further, there are commands that are flat out inaccessible with the ribbon alone.

I had to turn the menus on to be able to access those commands.

Given the real estate on the display that the ribbon ties up, and its only partial effectiveness, I disabled it.

I'm MUCH happier now.

Now if I could do the same within MS Office without 3rd party software I'd be ecstatic.

Joe

Hello, i just installed Alibre 2012 30-day free trial version. I've been using Solidworks since '98 and is kind of stuck with the mouse and keyboard settings. One of the news of Alibre 2012 is the ability to change shortcuts - lucky for me, but i can't bind shortcuts to the mouse? Besides, how can there not be customizable keyboard/mouse buttons in a program in the 21th century? And that's a $999 program! Its a requirement!

In the Alibre Suggestion forum it say:
    Customizable shortcuts can be programmed to mouse buttons - like for View Rotate etc.

Just curious, have you contacted them about that?

No i have not, since its my first day with alibre. But no one here can help me?

Been using Alibre for 2 or 3 years now. Though it is the best layout for a ribbon bar I've seen so far, I still agree with TXFred, I hate the ribbon bar. Absolute waste of screenestate, NOT easier to navigate unless you have absolutely no clue what you're doing in the first place. Yes, I tried it and found it irritating to say the least. Once I know what something does I don't need the tutorial in my face all the time. So glad I found the option to turn it off.

I think the ribbons were intended to help the complete novice, me in this case. I found Alibre 2012 easier to learn than SW if only for this reason. The ribbon feature can be disabled once you learn the program.

The help files are also better written than those in SW. I downloaded the trial and had a simple model in about two hours. Even with the help of a book I didn't get this far in SW.

Doug

Anyone else have trouble with Alibre 2012 where the Work Area does not appear in the Workspace? Or know of an appropriate forum for such a question?

You could try Alibre's stand-alone forum, which is provided by the company but supported mostly by users.

Alibre • Index page

Mike