586,121 active members*
3,661 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 11 of 17 910111213
    It seems I may have to mask my next set of signs as my latest job got paint dragged down into the Vcarved letters.
    Jason

Try Screenprint paint on PVC Foamboard. As the paint is PVC based it sticks perfectly to the substrate.

Quote Originally Posted by bdahmet View Post
    Try Screenprint paint on PVC Foamboard. As the paint is PVC based it sticks perfectly to the substrate.

Thanks bdahmet, I will give it a try.

Jason.. very creative and remarkable work

Thanks Khalid.

On a lighter note it seems that my machine would not be working for a while and then I get a call for rush work. As sure as night follows day I can expect two more calls for rush work within a day or two. A hotel I produce signs for call with work where all I have to do is v carve the letters and paint them in gold on three door headers as well as as few signs. The other jobs will be more routine.

I will post pics after I finish the door headers.

Jason

A gift for a friend's new house. Its about 11.5" x 8" and vcarved with a 120 deg bit.

Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1059.jpg  

These were sent as stained blanks by the customer and I was required to carve and paint the letters gold. I got very nervous when my contact paper masking would not stick to the cleared surface and had to use trusty masking tape in the end. Clearing the surface first with a few coats allows you to sand off the mask runs without damaging the stained surface

Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1058.jpg  

My two stage gear reduction for my long axis, there is a another one to complete. The gears that the drive belt are missing as I am installing a smaller gear for improved torque.
    ratio is 6.25:1
    As is the usual case VCarve Pro for the hole pocketing and hole drilling, I really do not know what I would do without it.

Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1066.jpg  

Hi Jason,

That looks great. Can you explain how your design works?

Are you steppers low power or are you looking to cut something very hard?

Matthew

Hi Matthew,
    Before I proceed its important to note that there are 3 separate shafts in this setup. Two shafts are at the top, each ending inside the their own blue bearing mount and one long shaft at the bottom.
    The motor will turn the small 28 tooth gear on the top left side of the stage which turns the 70 tooth gear at the bottom, the bottom 70 tooth gear is connected to the small 28 tooth gear on bottom right of the stage which then turns the 70 tooth gear on the top right side of the stage. Next to this top 70 tooth gear will be a 20 tooth gear and nylon rollers which the 12 foot belt will roll over and around to drive the machine.

Jason

The steppers are 425 oz/inch and I will be cutting mainly wood

Jason

Here is one for another axis, the arrangement is much the same. The setup can be made a lot smaller if aluminum is used for the plates and the bearings pressed into the aluminum plate.

Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1069.jpg  

That's amazing Jason.

Why do you need to gear your system down if you are using 425IN/OZ steppers and are only cutting wood?

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by mlabruyere View Post
    That's amazing Jason.

Why do you need to gear your system down if you are using 425IN/OZ steppers and are only cutting wood?

Matthew

My gantry will be heavy and I want to have good acceleration, gearing down will allow me to achieve this with a comfortable margin for error. I also want to increase my steps/mm to get my first 2.5d cuts as smooth as possible.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Marsha View Post
    These were sent as stained blanks by the customer and I was required to carve and paint the letters gold. I got very nervous when my contact paper masking would not stick to the cleared surface and had to use trusty masking tape in the end. Clearing the surface first with a few coats allows you to sand off the mask runs without damaging the stained surface

Jason
    Looks great!

Just to make it clear that the gear reduction boxes shown in the previous posts are for a 4x8 (5x10) machine I have been building for a long time now.
    I have been missing out on occasional work due to the small cut area of the JGRO.

Jason

Freebie job for a friend's new store. I choose this font because it was the only one I could get that would look reasonably good and at the same time get the "I" to cover-up a damaged part of the sign blank.

Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0300.jpg  

Client wanted the aluminum pocketed to 0.50mm to retain the paint. all of the finishing work was at them which I do not mind at all. the seven signs took me about 3 hours of cut time.

Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1122.jpg  

Sister-in-laws wedding is today and what could have been done three months ago I waited until the night before to finish. The great thing is the paint dried really fast so its all ready for the cake table today. The letters are 19" tall and cut from 1/2" sign foam.

Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0313.jpg  

What are your speeds and feeds and what are bits are you using on your foam? No problems with blowout? Signs look great. I have not cut any foam yet but im looking to start. Thanks

Joe
    What is possible? What you will!

Page 11 of 17 910111213