586,094 active members*
4,140 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 7 of 17 56789
    The bit set looks similar to the $12.99 set at Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34640

Hi Jason, really like your signs you made. They look very nice! How much did you charge for each one and how long did each one take.

Looks like your having fun with your machine and making money with it.
    Keep up the good work!

p.s. I thought I read you are building a bigger machine, How is that coming along.

Scott :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by rweatherly
    The bit set looks similar to the $12.99 set at Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34640

rweatherly,

That's the 50 piece set, the ebay one is 70 pieces.

Hi Scott,

Staining the MDF took up the most time, about two weeks as I used multiple coats and between other work and drying time. Each sign took about 12 min to carve using VCarve Wizard and then cutout. After this I coated each sign with multiple coats of polyurethane clear coat.

The signs were $40.00 on average but I am sure you would charge less in the USA.

To cut down on staining time I will sand the MDF with a 120 grit sand paper so that more stain stays on the first coat.

My bigger machine, a 5x10 router, will be initially reduced in size to a 4'x4' or 4'x6' as I will not have the amount of space I originally planned. This small one will be just a smaller version of the larger and any short comings with it will be corrected in the larger machine.

I will order pulleys and belts from sdp-si for gear reduction as well as open belts to to drive the long axis from each side.

I was not planning to do a lot of welding but it appears I will have to purchase or rent a small MIG welding plant when I buy the metal.

Jason

Thats fantastic. .....wheres the doggie tag pic... ?

Thanks diarmaid, I will cut a new one soon as the current one is made from soft aluminium and the dog has it rather worn.

Jason

I cut this in about 55min at 40"/min.

Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Daddys Hands.JPG  

WOW its beautiful . can,t wait to finish my machine and give it a try.
    Dar

Link to page containing file. Scroll up and look for daddyshands.eps.

http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3764#3764

Jason

Another sign for the hotel using VCarve Pro.

Pic1 :Test cut.

Pic2 :Taken during the cut with the MDF dust flying. Don't worry the
    vacuum was in the other hand to catch that dangerous MDF dust.

Pic3 :Tab removal, staining the cut ends and a clear coat remain to be
    done.

The signs were cut at 1016mm/min (40" min). Bits used were MLCS 25.4mm (1") diameter 90deg v-bit and a Whiteside 3.175mm (1/8") spiral upcut solid carbide bit.

Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beach.JPG   Beach Cut.JPG   Beach Cut2.JPG  

For this job I only cut out the letters for a sign company. They finished the sign and after installation I visited the location and took these pics.

Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crane1.JPG   Crane2.JPG  

This is a poem I compiled for recently married friends.

Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails poempic1.JPG   poempic2.JPG  

Here is another example of little brother JGRO working hard to earn funds for the construction of big brother.
    I have been avoiding advertising of the sign work but its is steadily streaming in from one big sign shop in particular as well as lots of work from the hotel.

Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Exper.JPG   exper2.JPG  

Pictures of engraving

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Marsha View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement guys.
    The machine is also accurate enough to engrave animal tags with the finest lines of the letters matching up spot on, I will post a picture of it if he lets me take the picture without licking the camera.
    Jason
    I would love to see pictures. I am considering Joe's design for relatively small 3D carving projects and don't know if vcarved small lettering was going to be clean enough.

Rich

I have to carve a new tag as the other one is worn.

Joe's design is a very good one if you have any questions I am sure he will answer them. He also offers a kit for the machine.
    As far as accuracy goes as long as good building techniques are followed these machines are very accurate.

Jason

Latest project delivered this week. The arch is 8 feet wide and 15 inches tall

I stuck the letters on with Krazy glue. I used very small amounts so that there would be none squeezed out and therefor avoided the white residue.
    The amazing thing is that after sticking all those letters I still have 1/3 of a small tube left.

Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arch Finished.jpg  

New bit for carving in sign foam as my last attempt with 90 deg bit on fine lettering was a little fuzzy in spots. This one is a triple flute 60 deg vbit with a solid carbide top end.

Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails triple1.jpg   triple2.jpg  

Did a sample of a sign for the wife's school. She wanted the english first but I told the her it looked balanced this way (argument).

In the end, the other staff and the Principal loved it and wanted others "as is".

It seems I got the last laugh, at least for now, hehe.

Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails staff.jpg  

My main bearing on my Bosch router decided it had enough of work and went into retirement. Well it lasted six months.

I will try to bring it out of retirement pack it with dry lube and set it back to work for a few more months. After removing the seal it seems that all the mdf dust from the signs crept past the seal and clogged it.

Jason

To add insult to injury it seems that I have also damaged the edge of the rotor where the collet nut screws on. I should have threaded the nut on and then tap the rotor out. Well its off to the latheman today.

Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bearing and rotor.jpg  

If you consider buying a new one, check this out, it's cheap and popular in the zone, but then you probably seen it already.
    http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-M12VC-.../dp/B0002ZZWXI

Page 7 of 17 56789